Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Fader doesn\'t work

When setting up my Alesis SR-16, I set up the midi track as well as the aux input for the audio. All seems to work well. However, when I move the fader on the Midi track up and down no change happens on the meter. Obvioulsy for the purpose of mixing and plug ins I use the Aux Input fader. But I was just curious, What's the purpose of the Midi faders? The SR-16 only transmits on one Midi channel is this why the fader on the Midi track doesn't serve a function?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Fader doesn\'t work

Hi Punx,

When you say "fader", I presume you refer to the 'Volume fader'?

This outputs a range from 0-127 in MIDI language on continous controller number seven (ie. cc07).

Other MIDI device parameters, such as pan, attack, release, filter, resonance, and many more, are often assigned to other cc## numbers.

On most MIDI instruments, cc07 corresponds with the volume or amplitude of the audio engine being driven by that particular MIDI channel.

So while the synth's master volume may be set on max, one can set different volume levels for each of the different sounds (eg. piano, bass, strings) being produced by the synth at the same time.

Now it may be the case that your drum machine, being only able to respond to one MIDI channel at any one time, hasn't been designed to recognise such MIDI cc07 "Volume" commands.

However it would be damn useful as different kits might output at different levels, or in a quieter portion of the song you might like to nudge the volume down rather than pull down individual note velocities.

Are you able to at least trigger the drum machine from notes/patterns formed in Pro Tools?

That would need to be the case for the 'volume' slider to be appropriately directed to the drum machine.

Phil