Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-16-2001, 06:52 AM

Default Did SPDIF mess up my Audio Output??

Summary of my problem: Since I connected S/p dif to my 001, my Outputs aren't working anymore like they should. Instead, everything sounds MONO, and the Pan seems to regulate my levels...all the way to the Left gives me a strong mono signal. As I go to the Right, the level drops. All the way to the Right means NO level.

Here's the story of what happened between hooking up the s/p dif cables and then me finding out why the output is screwed up:

Yesterday I purchased 2 s/p dif cables at Radio Shack, connected them to my 001 and to a Tascam DA-30 Dat player. I followed the instructions in the manual, and when hitting play in PTLE levels were peaking in the DAT like nobody's business. After moving my Master Fader around a bit, levels all of the sudden dropped, and aftewards the level going into the DAT was the same as being outputted, in that they were both the same intensity.

After a succesful Data transfer experiment to DAT, I set my clock to internal again, and when I hit play (monitoring the Output of the 001), the problem appeared. One interesting fact is that when I Solo the channel AND the Reverb, the send still goes L and R to the Reverb, giving me a STEREO Reverb Output. So, in theory, the physical outputs seem to be Ok. But the Pan on Stereo Aux Channels and all the other channels regulate the volume, it seems....

Digi, do you know what is happening? Or anyone else? Because I don't.

Another thing but not as urgent:
In the Session Window (Command-2) I set clock source to be s/p dif (RCA), and on the DAT the Input to Digital. When hitting Record on the DAT, PTLE gives me a window saying that there was no clock signal detected, etc etc. After hitting Ok, it said "Clock source is now valid." Today those two windows came up time after time after time after time...

Juergen
Old 11-16-2001, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Did SPDIF mess up my Audio Output??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Juergen:

Another thing but not as urgent:
In the Session Window (Command-2) I set clock source to be s/p dif (RCA), and on the DAT the Input to Digital. When hitting Record on the DAT, PTLE gives me a window saying that there was no clock signal detected, etc etc. After hitting Ok, it said "Clock source is now valid." Today those two windows came up time after time after time after time...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figured this 2nd concern out...seems like it gives me the clock warning when the DAT isn't playing...when it plays, the warnings subcede...

The "Pan posing as Volume" problem is still putting a big dent into my schedule...

Juergen
Old 11-17-2001, 08:33 AM

It's probably a hardware issue, either within the 001's output section or your cables/monitors (which I assume you've tested).

The stereo response from your reverb unit does not confirm that both 001 outputs are working, since stereo reverb is typically made from the sum mono of the two inputs. The reverb is stereo, not the trigger.

Your S/PDIF problems may be caused by not setting the format to the Tascam standards, an option in the hardware options. The fact that it works when the DAT is already in operation may indicate that the 001 auto-detects the format, but can't while the DAT is dormant.
Old 11-17-2001, 04:27 PM

Hey Sugarite, thanks for your reply. After reading it, I noticed that I didn't express myself very clearly about the reverb. The reverb I use is the RealVerb, within ProTools, so I send my track's signal via a stereo buss going to the Stereo Aux hosting the RealVerb, and the Verb I hear there is Stereo. The original signal coming off the track is being played back in Mono, however.

And I hear the Verb in Stereo. So...the outputs aren't it. At first it was my guess though, too...

And the Mono signal...well, it's not specifically MONO, it's more of a very-much-in-the-center

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sugarite:
Your S/PDIF problems may be caused by not setting the format to the Tascam standards, an option in the hardware options. The fact that it works when the DAT is already in operation may indicate that the 001 auto-detects the format, but can't while the DAT is dormant.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, what I figured also...The DA-30 option was checked at the time...

Juergen
Old 11-17-2001, 04:48 PM

"The-day-after" Update:

Every time I try to run PTLE, the message "Digidesign Hardware is either not installed or used by another application" comes up!

-There aren't any other apps open.
-I restarted quite a few times.-I have unplugged the cable going from my G4 to the 001 and plug it back in
-I ran the DigiTester, everything seems to be dandy
-I uninstalled PTLE and reinstalled it twice.

I am at the end of my inner strength. I am in the middle of a big project, and quite desperate at this point.
DIGI, could you help me?

System specs:
G4 400Mhz PCI
OS 9.01, 256MBRAM
Seagate 10GB System Drive
Seagate 28GB Audio Drive
PTLE 5.0.1
Stupid Puck attached to Keyboard

Hope I am not forgetting anything.

Juergen
Old 11-18-2001, 06:33 AM

Help!

bump...

Juergen
Old 11-18-2001, 08:09 AM

Did you trash preferences? Obviously a lot of them were recreated when you reinstalled, but how about the Sound prefs for example? I'm just fishing...

Did you start getting the "Hardware not installed" dialog only after the reinstall?

If so, trash prefs again, then in the Sound Control Panel under Input, uncheck any available boxes that say "Play sound through output device", then go to Digidesign in Control Panels and give it a wake up call.

Sorry if none of this helps or is too obvious. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2001, 12:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CCash:
Did you trash preferences? Obviously a lot of them were recreated when you reinstalled, but how about the Sound prefs for example? I'm just fishing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep...trashing prefs was the first thing I did. PTLE's prefs were reinstalled. I did NOT trash the Sound prefs...I'll have to try that tomorrow when I get back to the studio (I am out of town)...

Did you start getting the "Hardware not installed" dialog only after the reinstall?

Yeah, only after the reinstall...I'll see if these things you mention work...I did not uncheck any boxes...I did go into Sound Control Panel, and clicked on Digidesign, and then the volume slider and it played a sound alright...

[/QB]Sorry if none of this helps or is too obvious. Good luck![/QB]

Thanks, CCash for your time in trying to help me out...

I wonder if Digi is reading this (probably is)...

Juergen
Old 11-19-2001, 05:35 AM

OK!

I got wonderful people in the studio that like to crawl behind desks and mess with my cabling. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Shame on me for not spotting the problem immediately. Shows that it's better to leave a huge problem to be solved on another day, especially when you've been working so much that you can't think straight anymore...

I apologize to those people whose time I have wasted...thanks, nevertheless, for reading my post and responding. You guys rule.

Juergen