Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2015, 07:22 AM

Default Delay Compensation issues in PT11/12

I've found that in PT11 and 12 if delay compensation is enabled then scrubbing is out of sync with the picture and track bounces are out of sync with the original selection. I have made a Quickeys keyboard command in order to toggle delay compensation off/on whenever I need to scrub or bounce, but this is a PITA. I don't recall this being the case in previous PT versions. I assume this is a bug and not a feature.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation issues in PT11/12

yes scrubbing has always been out of sync with ADC. You are probably just now noticing it because you are using a session with a longer delay.

Track bounces out of sync, can you explain what you mean here? I always leave adc on an either record to DP tracks in the session or offline bounce. Both of these two methods are always in sync on my end.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-07-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Track bounces out of sync, can you explain what you mean here? I always leave adc on an either record to DP tracks in the session or offline bounce. Both of these two methods are always in sync on my end.
I just noticed this in PT12. If ADC is on when I bounce, the selection I made is recorded the correct length, but the audio within it is offset later by a couple of frames. This can sometimes put some of the audio beyond the end of the bounced clip. It also means that the time stamp for the clip will be correct but the audio within it is late, so unless I turn off ADC first I have to nudge the bounce into sync after I drag it into the timeline.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 AM

The extra delay was caused by an instance of Equilibrium that I put on one track, I swapped it out for an EQ7 and the amount of ADC was cut in half, however, the issues with ADC still exist, they are just less extreme now.

I usually only use EQuilibrium as an Audio Suite plugin. I guess I'll have to take a look at my setup to see how I can reduce the latency without losing the features I like.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Gary,
Are you bouncing out of the hardware outputs from a sub bus? I read that this is something that can happen if you bounce out of the hardware.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I just noticed this in PT12. If ADC is on when I bounce, the selection I made is recorded the correct length, but the audio within it is offset later by a couple of frames. This can sometimes put some of the audio beyond the end of the bounced clip. It also means that the time stamp for the clip will be correct but the audio within it is late, so unless I turn off ADC first I have to nudge the bounce into sync after I drag it into the timeline.
Denver, CO
Old 07-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Gary,
Are you bouncing out of the hardware outputs from a sub bus? I read that this is something that can happen if you bounce out of the hardware.

Randall
Yes, I'm using the monitor output. That could be the issue.

This brings up a question. I have a stem bus going to the input of an aux which has a limiter on it, and the output of the stem aux bussed to the monitor. I assumed that if I used the stem bus for the bounce that the result would not include the limiter. Is that correct?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm using the monitor output. That could be the issue.

This brings up a question. I have a stem bus going to the input of an aux which has a limiter on it, and the output of the stem aux bussed to the monitor. I assumed that if I used the stem bus for the bounce that the result would not include the limiter. Is that correct?
If the limiter is on the master fader of the output, yeah, no limiter. If the limiter is on the bus feeding the bus feeding the aux via a master fader, the bounce will include the limiter. Just a slight modification.

Also, I regularly offline bounce all my stem feeds, then put the bounces on the stems tracks and punch into them with no delay. Everything is 100% sample accurate or I would get pops on the punches. Something is off in your session, I think.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-07-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If the limiter is on the master fader of the output, yeah, no limiter. If the limiter is on the bus feeding the bus feeding the aux via a master fader, the bounce will include the limiter. Just a slight modification.
Let me see if I am understanding what you are saying. Do you mean that I should put a master fader assigned to the stem bus feeding the stem aux and put the Limiter on the master fader rather than the aux?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Let me see if I am understanding what you are saying. Do you mean that I should put a master fader assigned to the stem bus feeding the stem aux and put the Limiter on the master fader rather than the aux?
yes
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
yes
Thanks