Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-08-2014, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by devontelowe View Post
i fixed it and here is how...
Here's how to fix it...

If on startup Pro Tools throws up an error message saying

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)."

Then it's very likely that a cleaning program has deleted some files and or registry entries vital to Pro Tools running. In the case of the above error message it's the
"AVID HD Driver"

You can fix this problem by going to "Program And Features" in Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 or
"Add or Remove Programs" in XP
Then uninstall "Avid HD Driver (x86)"or "Avid HD Driver (x64)" depending on your Windows Platform.
Reboot.

Now on your Pro Tools installation DVD browse to,

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x64\Avid HD Driver10_x64.exe"

OR

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x86\Avid HD Driver10_x86.exe"

And install it.

Reboot.

Fire Up Pro Tools and your away again.

To avoid this happening again make sure that when using cleaning programs you check EVERY file being deleted and add any references to AVID or Pro Tools to the softwares Detection Exclusion settings. These settings vary from program to program but it's common for most cleaning programs to be able to right click a detected file and "Exclude from future Detection"
YES!!! This fixed the DAE (-9514) error for me (Pro Tools v.10.3.9). Be sure to install both Pro Tools AND the HD driver as the Admin. Thanks, devontelowe!!!!

I have been to all of the threads, through the wringer and back... heck, I even tried standing on my head while it was loading (okay - not really). I tried EVERYTHING, but this is what saved the day!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer..

Thank's! That was the right answer.
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Pro Tools HD 10.3.08
16 Gb DDR3 RAM
Novation LaunchControl XL and LaunchPad 1st Generation.
M-Audio Oxigen 8 V01 via Scarlett MIDI.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:25 PM

I have a Mac Mini, running windows 8.1 Professional, on which I have installed Pro Tools 10 according to all required compatibility and administrative standards but, I get the same error:

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)"

1 - I'VE TRASHED THE PREFERENCES TIME AND TIME AGAIN... SAME RESULT.

2 - TRIED CLEAN INSTALL .... SAME RESULT

3 - I tried going to "Program And Features" in Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 or
"Add or Remove Programs" in XP Then uninstall "Avid HD Driver (x86)"or "Avid HD Driver (x64)" BUT, I DON'T SEE THEM LITED THERE AT ALL

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP... I RUN PRO TOOLS 10 ON MY BRAND NEW IMAC VIA WINDOWS 8.1 WITHOUT A SINGLE ISSUE. I'M HONESTLY STUMPED

Here are more details about the mini's specs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byj...ew?usp=sharing

Here you'll see no HD driver listed:

This driver, I suspect has something to do with the issue:

But as you'll see here... it claims there is no better driver:

SMH!!!!

Model : Lenovo H215 10029
BIOS : Lenovo D2KT21AUS 03/12/2010
Total Memory : 8GB DIMM DDR3
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor (2C 2.7GHz, 2GHz IMC, 512kB L2)
Socket/Slot : AM2r2/AM3
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 210 (2CU 16SP SM4.1 1.24GHz/1.49GHz, 1GB DDR3 270MHz 128-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)
Storage Device: SAMSUNG HD300LJ (300GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 279GB (C:)
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653G (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Last edited by iammietig; 05-08-2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: ADDED SCREEN SHOTS
Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammietig View Post
I have a Mac Mini, running windows 8.1 Professional, on which I have installed Pro Tools 10 according to all required compatibility and administrative standards but, I get the same error:

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)"

1 - I'VE TRASHED THE PREFERENCES TIME AND TIME AGAIN... SAME RESULT.

2 - TRIED CLEAN INSTALL .... SAME RESULT

3 - I tried going to "Program And Features" in Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 or
"Add or Remove Programs" in XP Then uninstall "Avid HD Driver (x86)"or "Avid HD Driver (x64)" BUT, I DON'T SEE THEM LITED THERE AT ALL

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP... I RUN PRO TOOLS 10 ON MY BRAND NEW IMAC VIA WINDOWS 8.1 WITHOUT A SINGLE ISSUE. I'M HONESTLY STUMPED

Here are more details about the mini's specs:

Here you'll see no HD driver listed:

This driver, I suspect has something to do with the issue:

But as you'll see here... it claims there is no better driver:

SMH!!!!
Why are you running Windows on a Mac? Do you have a specific reason? Why not just run PT10 in OSX? Unless you have a compatibility issue between whatever OSX you are running and PT10. Even then that's not an excuse.

I looked at your screenshots - you don't actually have a Mac Mini computer do you? Or are you running a Hackintosh? Either way there's a lot of confusion with your setup.

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why are you running Windows on a Mac? Do you have a specific reason? Why not just run PT10 in OSX? Unless you have a compatibility issue between whatever OSX you are running and PT10. Even then that's not an excuse.

I looked at your screenshots - you don't actually have a Mac Mini computer do you? Or are you running a Hackintosh? Either way there's a lot of confusion with your setup.
----------------------------

First of all, it's an official Mac Mini!!!! I was purchased brand new with Sierra 10.12 so that's why i'm running windows. My GF thought she was buying me the perfect gift for my coming bday, and refuses to return it so I can get a used one. The Sandra report below is from my commercial office studio PC. Please disregard it!!!!

Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 210 (2CU 16SP SM4.1 1.24GHz/1.49GHz, 1GB DDR3 270MHz 128-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)
Storage Device: SAMSUNG HD300LJ (300GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 279GB (C:)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM