Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:29 AM

Default The day Pro Tools goes 64bit

I will then get down on one knee and propose.

Anyway, i hear Avid are announcing a few things mid year, could this be a possibility?
FL Studio - 9.0.3
Midi controllers - Behringer BCF 2000 - M-Audio Keystation 61es

Dan-Jay
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Default Re: The day Pro Tools goes 64bit

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's going to take them a few years to catch up with that trend.

I'm hoping for new LE interfaces, or maybe the merging of M-powered and LE software so you can use DV toolkit with a better selection of interfaces. If not, whatever replaces the 003r better have more features than the 2626.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the info.

It's a shame though. I haven't been on this site for a long time so i thought i might see what the news is on this topic.I ask because i'm struggling for system recourses. I have plugins from East west, Native Instruments Kontakt 4 and Spectrasonics Omnisphere, not to mention all your instruments you load within those instances. You aslo have your EQ/effects. As you can see i work with midi and compose, not just edit audio in this situation.

I really like Pro Tools and for me to be able to use more than 2.5 or so GB of RAM within it would mean i'd have to change to a program like Cubase which is infact 64bit. I do not want to do this, i mean once you go Pro Tools it's very hard to turn back. Pro Tools has the workflow that one like me never thought it would be possible.

I am looking for an alternative and i can't seem to find any that work. There must be a way i can use all my 9GB of RAM because i literally cannot compose within a session after loading 5 patches or so, especially for advanced products like East West Hollywood Strings that was released not long ago. I basically load 2 patches with Hollywood Strings and there goes the hosts memory and leaves me with no option but to quit, not to mention i have 6GB of RAM left that i cannot use.

I'm planning to up my system to 24GB of RAM in the future because i'm going to need it anyway, but before i do that there must be an alternative. There must be a way that we can use all our recources and not be kept in the dark. If anyone has any solutions i'd appreciate your time soo much!!

Cheers.
FL Studio - 9.0.3

Dan-Jay
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Jay View Post
Thanks for the info.

It's a shame though. I haven't been on this site for a long time so i thought i might see what the news is on this topic.I ask because i'm struggling for system recourses. I have plugins from East west, Native Instruments Kontakt 4 and Spectrasonics Omnisphere, not to mention all your instruments you load within those instances. You aslo have your EQ/effects. As you can see i work with midi and compose, not just edit audio in this situation.

I really like Pro Tools and for me to be able to use more than 2.5 or so GB of RAM within it would mean i'd have to change to a program like Cubase which is infact 64bit. I do not want to do this, i mean once you go Pro Tools it's very hard to turn back. Pro Tools has the workflow that one like me never thought it would be possible.

I am looking for an alternative and i can't seem to find any that work. There must be a way i can use all my 9GB of RAM because i literally cannot compose within a session after loading 5 patches or so, especially for advanced products like East West Hollywood Strings that was released not long ago. I basically load 2 patches with Hollywood Strings and there goes the hosts memory and leaves me with no option but to quit, not to mention i have 6GB of RAM left that i cannot use.

I'm planning to up my system to 24GB of RAM in the future because i'm going to need it anyway, but before i do that there must be an alternative. There must be a way that we can use all our recources and not be kept in the dark. If anyone has any solutions i'd appreciate your time soo much!!

Cheers.
the Play system has always been very buggy in most DAWs. Each has their own little quirks with it.

There are some protools users having good experiences with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Do a search on the duc. It will run your plugins in 64bit mode, and will run midi from protools to it, and run audio from it to protools.

You can run it on the same computer that you have PT installed on... but it will also work over a Gigabit ethernet connection, allowing you to run the software on a second computer, and send the midi and audio over the ethernet cable back and forth from the protools computer.

It as well is a little buggy. But if you read the duc postings there are a people who have it working like a charm. And in looking around, it is by far the best solution out there at the moment since it handles midi AND audio (no need to buy additional audio interfaces and connect audio cables).

right now though it does take a little tweaking to get it running on your network. But from what people have said, it works really well once you do. look into it and see if it will work for you.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
the Play system has always been very buggy in most DAWs. Each has their own little quirks with it.

There are some protools users having good experiences with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Do a search on the duc. It will run your plugins in 64bit mode, and will run midi from protools to it, and run audio from it to protools.

You can run it on the same computer that you have PT installed on... but it will also work over a Gigabit ethernet connection, allowing you to run the software on a second computer, and send the midi and audio over the ethernet cable back and forth from the protools computer.

It as well is a little buggy. But if you read the duc postings there are a people who have it working like a charm. And in looking around, it is by far the best solution out there at the moment since it handles midi AND audio (no need to buy additional audio interfaces and connect audio cables).

right now though it does take a little tweaking to get it running on your network. But from what people have said, it works really well once you do. look into it and see if it will work for you.
The last time I checked the problems with play and VE pro were primarily on macs, I think there were a few tweaks you had to do to get it to work on a PC, but most people said it was stable.

I use PLAY on a win7 x64 slave PC, and have been using audioport universal and ipmidi for network audio and midi for about a year and it is rock solid.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Of course the actual work around to low system resources is to bounce your Vi's to recorded audio tracks using busing and then making your VI tracks inactive. This will then allow you to re-activate your tracks if you need to make composition changes, but by making inactive will free up the much needed resources of an LE system.

I print effects and VI's all the time on my HD rig. Part of recording is committing to your process and forgoing the look back ability for progress on your project. If you ever watch the Eddie Kramer vids on the waves site, he talks about committing very often. Jimi Hendrix guitar tones had to be dialed in before they hit record. And you got what you got. If you wanted to fix the AMp sound you re-recorded the entire part unless you could fix it with EQ or compression.

Just get in a habit of bouncing your VI's to real audio, which makes them much more manageable anyways for detailed audio editing. Since they are midi and VI's, they are never truly gone, just tucked away safely.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
Of course the actual work around to low system resources is to bounce your Vi's to recorded audio tracks using busing and then making your VI tracks inactive. This will then allow you to re-activate your tracks if you need to make composition changes, but by making inactive will free up the much needed resources of an LE system.

I print effects and VI's all the time on my HD rig. Part of recording is committing to your process and forgoing the look back ability for progress on your project. If you ever watch the Eddie Kramer vids on the waves site, he talks about committing very often. Jimi Hendrix guitar tones had to be dialed in before they hit record. And you got what you got. If you wanted to fix the AMp sound you re-recorded the entire part unless you could fix it with EQ or compression.

Just get in a habit of bouncing your VI's to real audio, which makes them much more manageable anyways for detailed audio editing. Since they are midi and VI's, they are never truly gone, just tucked away safely.
This works fine on rock/pop music, but if you are a composer working on an orchestral mockup you need to be able to go back and tweak midi on anything and everything at any given time. This is why I have slave PCs. I don't commit anything to audio until I am 100% done with the composition and midi editing, there's simply too many things that get changed throughout the composition process.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
This works fine on rock/pop music, but if you are a composer working on an orchestral mockup you need to be able to go back and tweak midi on anything and everything at any given time. This is why I have slave PCs. I don't commit anything to audio until I am 100% done with the composition and midi editing, there's simply too many things that get changed throughout the composition process.
You're exactly right, John.

I always end up tweaking and changing my score through out a piece, i don't think there's ever a time where i'm satisified to the point where i'll bounce it to audio and keep it.

I understand what you guys suggested about bouncing audio wise which is a great idea, but it would be a nightmare scoring wise if you know what i mean.

As far as VE Pro goes, thanks for the information guys, i really should look into this. Much appreciated!
FL Studio - 9.0.3

Dan-Jay
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 AM

Don't forget, in Kontakt you can drastically reduce the memory footprint by unloading all unused samples. For instance, if your grand piano plays throughout the piece but is mostly the same notes, you can unload the samples that never get played.

Quote:
Consider this scenario: you've loaded an entire violin section, complete with five different keyswitched articulations, yet you actually need only a handful of notes using one articulation. No problem — once you've finalised the part and recorded it into your sequencer, simply play back the sequence, click the Purge button on that particular Instrument and choose 'Update Sample Pool'. Kontakt then unloads from memory all the samples that were not used, freeing up a considerable amount of RAM. The Purge function can also be performed globally — a 'master' Purge button above the Instrument rack cleans up an entire Multi's redundant samples in a single pass. Purging will of course leave Instruments with gaps on the keyboard where samples are now missing. So what if you subsequently wish to change a part so that it includes some of those missing samples? Kontakt makes this a no-brainer; you simply select Purge again for the Instrument whose part you wish to alter and choose 'Reload Samples'. All the samples for that Instrument will then be reloaded, returning it to normal. Once you've re-recorded your new part, you can of course Purge that Instrument again to clean up the RAM.
There's an odd side-effect of using this though. It actually takes much longer to initially load the project if you have purged unused samples, which is counterintuitive. I guess Kontakt has to think about it harder. But once it's loaded, there's no difference.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post

You can run it on the same computer that you have PT installed on...

It as well is a little buggy.
Love it here & its not buggy @ all for me...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)