Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Default Re: cs3 - yes, it is there

Installed CS3 over CS2 this morning. 10 hours of heavy vo editing, no issues at all.

I wonder if the "waveform randomly disappears" bug is gone. Didn't occur today, but in the last 6 months 20 times a day every two or three weeks. Nothing severe, but embarrassing if occuring in front of a client.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Well, some good news here...
After the cs3 update last pm, I'm cautiously optimistic. Put in 7 hours today editing piano and didn't have a single crash...

First day in almost 3 weeks that I haven't spent a LOT of downtime due to PT 8's instability. And this is my first day in 3 weeks NOT in front of clients. Ha! What timing!

I waited 4 months to upgrade to PT 8 b/c of bug reports, and due to the studio being busy. Figured (wrongly) that the kinks would have been worked out... a month ago I finally had a "window" of downtime in which to UG...
In the last 3 weeks, I've had 2 producers (local/regional), 3 engineers, and a boatload of studio musicians & artists who are now of the opinion that Pro Tools is unstable. (and they are correct) It's going to take me several months to recover from this perception, Digi.

I'm curious to see how the next week(s) unfolds...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixboy bob View Post
In fact, it just crashed. About the 8th or 9th time since installing CS3 last night.

Now it actually labels the reason for the communication error as a "timeout error."

I just want my crap to work....

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Hi Rob,

As you know i have been trying to find the cause of this for quite a while?

as i mention often! i only get the quits when i insert an AIR plugin of any kind! as long as i stay clear of ALL air plugs i have no quits!! and i run large sessions 100+ tracks with loads of third party plugins.

Initially we thought it could be waves conflict but i have run sessions with waves completely removed from the plugs folder and still get the quits. at one time or another i have removed every third party plugin and still had the quits, so its not one specific plugin.

All i can tell you is the error messages can change with whatever third party plugins are in the session!

pro tools has lost connection to the expansion HD
wmTDMFlag error on DSP (Soundtoys in session)
loss of digital clock
timeout error

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
YES, a incompatible plug-in like structure!!!
i only use some drum samples, maby 5MB and i get 'out of memory'???
sorry for that,
but this happens "only" today 10 times + 5 times "loop crash"
Can you give me exact repro steps of what you're doing to cause the crash? Can you send us a session and a crash report?

Without descriptions and repro steps (or, at the very least, a crash report), we're left going 'huh, that's bad', but have no way of identifying the cause to implement a fix.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn-g View Post
Well this was a complete waste of time. First off after installing I get Pro Tools quiting before it even opens the session. Then after trashing all my prefs and digi setups, i get -9162 errors. After 10 restarts, I GIVE UP.
Going back to v.8cs2.
Man what is going on at digi these days. v.8 is highly unstable (by PT standards). I crash at least 3 times per day. The new GUI makes me work much harder to accomplish the same things I did in v.7. Now we get this version that won't even open, claiming to fix a slew of bugs that should have never been released in the first place.
My faith in the programmers at digi is really begining to be tested.

PTHD6
Intel MacPro 2.8ghz Quad Xeon / 6gigs ram/ PE6R4 Expansion Chassis w/Core,2 accel,3 process cards
I want to try to help you - you should definitely NOT be getting that many crashes - but I'll need your help.

Please send me any recent crash reports, as well as a description of what you're doing when the crashes occur. I'll also need a system profile (in as much detail as possible - see the Help Us Help You thread for details) and a list of installed plug-ins (you can get the plug-in version generator from the General Troubleshooting thread).

Please send them to: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com

Give me a few days to be able to get to it - there's a lot going on right now and I have a rather full queue at the moment, but I'm confident I can get your system into better shape than what you're experiencing currently.

One quick question - are you using DSP Caching? If so, please disable it and let me know if the problems still occur (you can disable it in the very lower right corner of the System Usage window - it's a little arrow drop-down box).
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks Digi, for clarifying that this hopefully quashes the bug(s) that were causing the looping audio crash.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Ran all day today, jumping between 6 different sessions. Not one single crash or hiccup.

Pro Tools 8cs3
HD3
G5 dual 2.3 4.5gig ram OS 10.5.6

Plugin's used today:
McDSP - comp bank, filter bank, analog chan
WAVES - SSL (tdm & rtas) & TDM Bundle I
Massey - comp, de-ess, tape head
Phoenix
Native Instruments - Akoustik Piano
Auto-tune EVO (rtas)

Even did a little elastic treatment to a simple loop, and everything was fine.
Thanks for the update DIGI.

sleiweke

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can you give me exact repro steps of what you're doing to cause the crash? Can you send us a session and a crash report?

Without descriptions and repro steps (or, at the very least, a crash report), we're left going 'huh, that's bad', but have no way of identifying the cause to implement a fix.
i send you a lot of crash reports in feb.2009, never get any response about that from you...
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=241375
i can send you more crash reports.
what i did since feb.:
no RAID system anymore on my mac, like you told me, but i found out last week, i never had one, only 2 partitions on one disk. but anyway.
i install everyting again on a fresh HD, (sold all the arturia and korg stuff)
first test: only PT plugins and structure. same problems.
install the rest of the plugins, only the newest udates, same problems.
meanwhile my mac was broke (graphic card), i get the new 8 core model for 3 days in exchange, also here, the same problems...even more.
i was happy when my mac came back.
is it possible that PT8 runs better on old macs?
tony shepperd said he had not one single crash since PT8, and i think he has a older mac.

BUT:
when the song is ready and everything is recorded in audio, like structure or other VI,
i donīt have much crashes anymore. sometimes not one in a day.
i think you need more beta tester coming from native DAW, like logic or cubase. people how do eletronic music, using VI and samples a lot.
not only producers how record bands and work with audio.
correct me if i am wrong

descriptions and repro steps:
the "loop crash" can happens with anything, after midi recording, copy a plugin to another track, edit something in structure, loop playback (PT starts to loop something in the loop and donīt stop) doing nothing, etc.
after the crash the force quit pro tools comes and i have to press the ok for 30-50 times until PT is closed (90%). IN REAL

the "out of memory" i get most times with structure.
load a kick, load a snare, some perc. and than "out of memory, save PT" crash.

normal stucture crashs:
i do not much editing, mostly when i am ready with programming, change the volume, change the voices to 1, sometimes one shot, sometimes envelope. thats all. around every 3-5 edit changes in structure i get a crash.
sometimes i have 10 or more structures open, because the multi aux system is not working proper in structure. (same with battery in 7.4)
try open a mono structure, open 16 midi and 16 mono auxes and than see what happens if you put the 16 sounds to the 16 auxes.
it works better in stereo, but i am not a "double mono" guy
last week i had 19 structures open and until i could record them i had around 15 crashes + 15 times restart the computer. this cost a lot of time and nervs.

i can not believe, that the problem is only in my system.
i mean, when i install PT on a new HD, with nothing on, no internet, no other programs, using only digidesign hardware, what can i do wrong.
i do all the "troublethings" from your link page, like bluetooth out, spotlight out, everything! (also did this in PT7)
this must be like a system than, that you also use for beta testing.
this forum is full with people having the same problems.
if it would be only me, ok.

i am really worried that PT ends up like logic. i pray that is not.
i worked with logic for 10 years. when "bug" logic 7 came out, the trouble starts, and now, so many years later, nothing changed in logic.
ok, 90% of the people will never find out and they are really happy playing with the 1000000GB apple loops
thats why i step into the pro tools world!
i purchase HD3 accel, 192 I/O and the C24.
but i have a big problem now, crashes, structure dosenīt work, kontakt and battery donīt work, so there is no sampler. (i sold all my NI stuff, because i think they will never make it run)
transfuser is also a really nice machine, but for example, try to insert 4-5 transfusers, load 1 loop in each one, record a 4 bar midi loop for each,
and 1 loop minimum gets cut at the end or stop in the middle. why?
i am the only one?

i also deinstalled all the air plugins wich came with pro tools 8, because many times i get DAE errrors when i open them and than crash.
also strange for me:
when you have a Air plugin open, the play/stop from the keyboard dosenīt work. this is the same with all the NI stuff.
also "the glue" compressor had this problem.
somebody wrote this to andy, who made the glue, and 1 or 2 days later it was fixed.
so it canīt be not something major! so why this can not be fixed...?

sorry that i write so much and my english is not that great
just had a really bad "loop crash" again and i am pissed.
the loop was still playing even the finder was not there anymore.
and now when i try to load the song,
crash...

i go sleep...

p.s.
i also changed today my ram from 5 to 4GB, but it also dosent help.
tony shepperd say this @ gearslut.
"There is a problem with PT8 and running with more then 4 GB of RAM"
Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM

I'm running smoothly here as well. Have had 2 days with cs3 with no problems. I'm not using many VI's though and any heavy RTAS gets printed straight away.
Just using Addictive and RMX. Both have such small RTAS hit that I leave them running all the time. Same with Altiverb.
With that load of RTAS my usage is sitting around 16% and I can live with that.
Only 1 processor selected and a buffer of 512.

Dusty Angel I note you are using 10 Structure's at the same time.
Man if I did that my machine would explode into flames.
I don't know if PT is ready for that kind of writer requirement.

I noticed that some people who are running ok are still on non Intel machines.

Dual 2.7 G5 here.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBuckle View Post
I noticed that some people who are running ok are still on non Intel machines.
Interesting point. I've noticed that too.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?