Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 05-29-2001, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Soft SampleCell Problems

Bruce, thanks for the reply on Osmosis.
I would appreciate it if you would direct one of your tech guys to check into the problems with how Osmosis converts files to be used with Soft SampleCell. Right now it's not happening.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-30-2001, 12:17 AM

Soft SampleCell works nicely as a stand alone sampler. I have 24 bit drum samples that load in and map out just fine.
I'm using it with Direct Connect and I believe that means there is about an 8 ms. delay. I'm not sure if I am correct about that. Since I just got SSC, I haven't got into the latency 'tests' yet. I will say, I haven't noticed that it is a problem. Once I start a new working project, I will get a better sense of that. Right now I'm trying to figure out what program will convert Sample Libraries correctly into SSC. Digi??? Bruce???
I installed SSC on a G3 266 running on OS 8.6 with no problem. Your voice count is dependent on your computer's speed, so I would recommend a G4. But just to check it out, it did work on a G3..........
1 TB PCIe flash storage
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-30-2001, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Can't answer the technical questions, but I can clear up the Osmosis issue.

The version of Osmosis SC that is included is not a 2-week demo. It is only a trial version until you register and authorize it. The instructions are in the Osmosis 1.1.3 SC Release Notes on the CD and your hard drive when you run the installer. Excerpts below:

--------
Osmosis 1.1.3 SC Release Notes
Thanks for trying Osmosis, an Akai S1000/S3000 to Macintosh conversion utility.

Osmosis SC is limited as compared to the full version of Osmosis in that it supports Akai disks only - the full version supports Roland S760 disks also.

The trial version is limited in that it is authorized for two weeks only. You can use all of the functionality except for 'Convert Entire Disk' for the trial period. You must use the 'Osmosis SC Authorizer' application to register the software and get a response code for complete authorization.

Upgrade To Osmosis
You can upgrade to the full version of Osmosis, which supports Roland S760 disks as well. Check out the Special Promotion document in the Osmosis SC Folder.

Compatibility
Compatible with Unity DS-1 1.2.0 and later. The files created by Osmosis require compatible versions of Unity DS-1 so that the files can be used. Use the included Unity DS-1 updaters on this installer disk to update old versions of Unity DS-1.

There is a known incompatibility with QuickKeys. QuickKeys macros may cause problems on your system.
----------

------------------
Bruce Paine
WebAdmin
Digidesign Customer Service
Old 05-30-2001, 08:13 AM

tech guys?

haze
Old 05-30-2001, 09:06 AM

Any help here? From the Soft Sample Cell Manual pg. 89:

"Using Sound Libraries for Other
Samplers
Since most sound libraries for other samplers are in audio file formats supported by Soft SampleCell, you can import the samples and create your own Soft SampleCell Instruments.
You can also utilize any of the many file translation applications available for transferring sound libraries from one format to another.
Contact Digidesign or your local dealer for information about these and other applications from Digidesign’s Development Partners.

Since Osmosis isn't working well, can you suggest another program? Brent??
Thanks.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-30-2001, 09:42 AM

Chicken Systems are bringing Translator to the Mac. i have used it with Gigastudio and while it works very well, it does seem to lose stuff like filter settings and velocity settings. I have only been using it for a week so haven't really got into it that much as I am learning how to use a PC and Gigastudio at the same time. I believe that the Mac version will convert to Samplecell and not just S1000/3000 disks but many other formats.

Are the new filters on Soft Samplecell Good ?
Old 05-31-2001, 12:00 AM

It's utterly amazing to me that Digi can't include akai support with this brand new product, so we don't have to rely on (and buy)3rd party software. And now it sounds as even that software is unreliable. Good God, Digi. I really want to buy this thing, and you've already fugged it up!!

haze
Old 05-31-2001, 05:49 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by michael c:

Since Osmosis isn't working well, can you suggest another program? Brent??
Thanks.
-Unfortunately, I do not know.

-We are currently looking into this issue and I will post as soon as I have a definitive answer.

Brent
Old 05-31-2001, 07:34 AM

I don't have soft samplecell, but if the software is based on t6he original samplecell software (and it seems to be) there's no way it or any other program is going to be able to accurately translate Akai/EMU/Roland banks, simply because it doesn't have the depth of layers or the complexity of filtering, eq, etc. that those other samplers have. Doesn't mean it won't be a good addition to the studio, though.

Malcolm
Old 05-31-2001, 08:25 AM
Administrator

As Brent said, we are in contact with Bitheadz to see if they have any information on the problem reported in the original post here.

Just to reiterate the information on the version of Osmosis that comes with SSC, it is not a trial version. The read me is a little confusing, in that it is the same document and installer that comes with their trial version. However, this version included with Soft SampleCell is the version of Osmosis SC that does Akai S1000/S3000 to Macintosh conversion.

Every copy of Soft SampleCell also includes a license for the included Osmosis SC software, and registration is free. The only extra charge is if you choose to use the special upgrade offer included from Bitheadz to go to the version of Osmosis that also reads Roland S760 disks. ($80 off of the regular price of $179)
More information on Osmosis can be found at www.bitheadz.com

------------------
Bruce Paine
WebAdmin
Digidesign Customer Service