Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Best Imac for Protools 2019

Thanks, didn't intend to be redundant. I know from my own experience, re; just about everything, if I had it it to do over I'd do this or that different..

Just thought someone who has been there done that & would have some great advice to share... And you guys do... Much appreciated..

I am configuring now.. I know it's impossible to get something that's 100% perfect. I was wondering if there may already be an ideal Model for Protools & thought I'd inquire from all you Experts.

I do appreciate all the Input & am taking it all in..

Thanks,

Lars

What do you think of this one? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-2...?skuId=6262116

Last edited by larsongs; 12-04-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
As mentioned in posts #4 & #6, you should avoid hybrid drives. In Apple-speak, that's a Fusion Drive, to which you've linked.

From memory, I'd gauge that the ratio of advice on Fusion drives is roughly 95% against, 5% for.

HTH.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM

Yes, no fusion drives for protools please
Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks, didn't intend to be redundant. I know from my own experience, re; just about everything, if I had it it to do over I'd do this or that different..

Just thought someone who has been there done that & would have some great advice to share... And you guys do... Much appreciated..

I am configuring now.. I know it's impossible to get something that's 100% perfect. I was wondering if there may already be an ideal Model for Protools & thought I'd inquire from all you Experts.

I do appreciate all the Input & am taking it all in..

Thanks,

Lars

What do you think of this one? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-2...?skuId=6262116
As people have told you many times - NO Fusion drives!
To tell the truth I'd stay away from an iMac because of heat issues and cpu throttling. If you're comfortable with a used/refurbed machine take a look at what OWC has to offer. There are a lot of machines that will run current versions of PT. I'd get either a 2012 mac Pro cheesegrater or an early Trashcan Mac Pro. My current machine is a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater with 3.46 GHz hex core cpu and ssd on a pcie card for system drive which I got from OWC.

QAPLA!
Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 PM

key info never provided.. what configuration MBP are you running on now... and what exact problems are you having with it?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
key info never provided.. what configuration MBP are you running on now... and what exact problems are you having with it?
I'm currently running my old version of ProTools 10.3.5 on my 2012 MacBook Pro & OSX 10.8.5 which is incompatible with just about everything new..

For the most part it works fine & does most of what I want it to do.. Although I can't access anything that requires a newer Operating System.. I haven't upfraded for fear of having problems with ProTools 10..

I can't upload Plugins anymore. I recently called called Waves to buy do a Trial on an Abbey Road Plugin & they said my OS is too old. I called Sweetwater for some Tech Support on anotehr Issue & they can't do a Screen Share. I can't even access Sweetwater's Website..

So I figured it's time to upgrade....
Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 PM

Again, details as asked for before.... CPU? memory? Disk? Exact EMC# or product name. Mid-2012 MBP for example supports all the latest macOS versions... You could test with new stuff by installing on a new drive/partition and not risk your current install. As pointed out before.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-04-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:52 PM

The best iMac is definitely an iMac Pro with as many cores as possible. I have been rocking my 10 core for a year now. Never failed me. I get lots of tracks and lots of plugs. I also run two ext SSDs, two ext monitors (one 4k and one 1080), 24 tracks in with my Focusritesaffire 56 and two D8s. My previous computer was a 2009 iMac I5 which still runs.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I'm currently running my old version of ProTools 10.3.5 on my 2012 MacBook Pro & OSX 10.8.5 which is incompatible with just about everything new..

For the most part it works fine & does most of what I want it to do.. Although I can't access anything that requires a newer Operating System.. I haven't upgraded for fear of having problems with ProTools 10..

I can't upload Plugins anymore. I recently called called Waves to buy do a Trial on an Abbey Road Plugin & they said my OS is too old. I called Sweetwater for some Tech Support on another Issue & they can't do a Screen Share. I can't even access Sweetwater's Website..

So I figured it's time to upgrade....
I can access Sweetwater's site just fine in OSX 10.6.8 Using PayPal is another matter and I would go to my daw Mac which runs both OSX 10.10.5 and 10.12.6 (got multiple Macs here) to use that form of payment.

Are you staying on PT10 or upgrading to PT2018?

You write confusing info. A trial (aka demo) of Waves plugins does not require a purchase.

QAPLA!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I can access Sweetwater's site just fine in OSX 10.6.8 Using PayPal is another matter and I would go to my daw Mac which runs both OSX 10.10.5 and 10.12.6 (got multiple Macs here) to use that form of payment.

Are you staying on PT10 or upgrading to PT2018?

You write confusing info. A trial (aka demo) of Waves plugins does not require a purchase.
Every time I try to log in to Sweetwater I get Safari can't open error messages. Sweetwater says it's my Computer. Apple says it's Sweetwater. I'm out of ProTools warranty for Tech Support. Sweetwater will not open on my Computer with OSX 10.8.5..

I was interested in purchasing a new Waves Abbey Road Plugin & thought I'd like to try the Trial. Waves said my Operating System is too old.

I mentioned earlier I purchased the new PT 2018 Upgrade from Sweetwater a couple days ago as it was on Sale for 20% off... I haven't installed it because my Computer can't support it. Hence I'm looking for a new Computer..

Another reason I want a new Computer is my regular Windows based Laptop's Hard Drive fried.. The MacBook will be it's replacement as it runs perfect for most day to day functions. I won't be using it as a DAW..

I hope that's more clear..

Thanks,

Lucky