Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Waves Q-Clone. Really Cool Plugin if you're using a hybrid setup

I wanted to post this more as an informational thing for folks that may be working in hybrid setups.

A while back I upgraded to Horizon for about $100 and I have been busy going through the plug--ins that I received as part of the package.

I figured Q-Clone would be something that I didn't use, but I have been using it quite a bit while tracking so I wanted to share my experience.

I have a pair of Warm Audio equalizers that I really, really like to use on my master buss. When I'm tracking I'll use them on acoustic/electric guitars, kick and snare, vocals, pretty much anything.

Before I discovered Q-Clone I would track and use them by committing to the track and then when it came time to mix I finally would place them across my buss. Even in bypass mode they really warm up a track.

With Q-Clone I was able to put them in bypass mode and 'clone' the curve that they add to a track. Now, I just have an instance of Q-Clone on a pair on faders that feed the master. I can get the sound of the WA-EQPs without having to dedicate the hardware to this task.

Since I like the pair so good I was going to buy another one just to use here and there but Q-Clone solved my problem and it was free.

If anyone has some hardware they want to free up it's a great solution. If there are any Q-Clone users that want the bypass mode EQ impulses let me know and I can probably figure out a way to send them to you.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 12-19-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Waves Q-Clone. Really Cool Plugin if you're using a hybrid setup

Just keep in mind that it's not capturing the dynamic saturation of real analog gear, just a static EQ curve. So while it'll sort of sound like it, it certainly won't react like it as you push into it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:58 PM

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm using them in bypass on my master buss to get the flavor there. Then after I'm done tracking and my parts are committed I'll put the actual hardware on there.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 12-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Just keep in mind that it's not capturing the dynamic saturation of real analog gear, just a static EQ curve. So while it'll sort of sound like it, it certainly won't react like it as you push into it.
Verry true.
But i use q-clone a lot in my mixing workflow and having done a lot of compare with plugins, i found q-clone sounds better than plugins even if it's just a static eq curve capture. My API 550B's sounds better when captured by q-clone than the waves plugins. My pulteq sound's better to. My vintage 1084, there is not a plugin who come close to sound like the captured q-clone.

For me it's the most used eq plugin in my mixes. It's always in my template and i just twist knobs and patch back and forth between my 1084, massive passive, pulteq, API and neumann DUO eq.
It's like eq'ing with hardware. Well, 95% like hardware. And the feeling is the same.
If i need a little more color, i use a good saturation plugin.

Disclaimer: i did not try UA eq plugins, i dont have a card.

Love q-clone.

Last edited by audioluche; 01-10-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
i found q-clone sounds better than plugins even if it's just a static eq curve capture. My API 550B's sounds better when captured by q-clone than the waves plugins.
It would be interesting to hear how this compares to Volko QB which is a clean 550b
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Yeah I have a friend who really likes this one too.

As was earlier stated it doesn't really catch any harmonics, but it will still get you the tonal curve.

He liked to use it at times to free up some CPU resources in instances where he's using more than one eq. It's not perfect, but will get you quite close. There are certainly secondary elements in the mix where it doesn't matter as much. Often its more desirable to sound less phat and saturated just so they can sit in the background more effectively, creating a kind of contrast that will allow the main instruments to come forward in the mix.