Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Default Re: "DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Help!!

Uh yea I missed that the first time round, what is D: used for?

If you are recording (or even have VI samples) on a second partition on your system drive that is going to be messed up. You are forcing the disk heads to seek between these partitions.

Darryl
Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 AM

I had heaps of trouble with this in 8.0.5. When I updated to pt9 i had no dramas.
I still occasionally get this error if I'm running heaps of plugs but since I learnt about bussing I haven't had an issue.

If updating is to pt9 is economical for you this is what I would suggest. I have no problems with my FireWire drive even though it's not recommended for w7 and pt9.

Hope this helps
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Default Re: "DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Windows 7 users should NOT use firewire drives for recording. And looking over the Sandra above, recording should also NOT be done on the second partition of the system drive. WD Caviar Black are great recording drives, but some other so-called 7200 rpm drives are also "GREEN" drives, and any drive that calls itself "green" will likely have power-saving features that make them a bad choice for recording(although, with RAM caching, it would not be an issue, assuming you had 10HD or 10 with the CPTK, and lots of RAM)
Thanks for the input. I actually haven't had any problems whatsoever with my rig (After getting initial quarks worked out of course), and I've never heard that about Windows 7 and Firewire...But good to know. Also, the drive I record to is actually a separate drive...the partition was originally for a dual boot for Windows XP...but is no longer needed/used for that, and is now just a storage space.

After reading more posts throughout this forum, I've come to the conclusion that it's the actual hard drive going out because of the progression of specific hiccups that happen right before I start getting the error. Before it happens I have no problems in the session playback, but after it happens, it corrupts one of the active audio files so the session can't use it anymore....and I discovered this when I tried copying the session onto another drive just to see if it had the same problem, and Windows came across the audio file and "Couldn't read it or move it because it's damaged".
So....I'm not going to work in any more of the sessions on that drive without first copying it over to a different drive.
(Note to self: Don't accept free hard drives from friends anymore, cause you really don't know how old it is to begin with! )