How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 AM

Default Simple Freeze vs Commit question & L/R mono to stereo track

Hey Guys few questions.

1. Is there a difference between Freeze & Commit Saving system DSP/Computer resources(RAM & CPU)? Meaning, Does Freeze and Commit save the SAME amount of DSP/Computer resources(RAM & CPU)?

2. If I had 2 mono tracks, 1 Panned hard left and 1 panned hard right. If I convert it to a stereo track will it save the Hard Left and Hard Right effect?

3. Is there a list of DSP/Computer resources(RAM & CPU) that a stereo track takes vs a mono track? If so please link it. Also is there a list of plugins DSP/Computer resources(RAM & CPU) Consumption?

I couldn't find these answer's anywhere

THANK YOU!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Simple Freeze vs Commit question & L/R mono to stereo track

I am not aware of any listing of details on this. In theory, a frozen track SHOULD use the exact same resources as a committed track. However, in practice, it seems that frozen tracks do NOT free up resources as well as committing(opinion, based on my own experience).

Converting 2 mono tracks to a single stereo track SHOULD not sound any different, but would probably not make any difference, or not enough to matter for resources(and I often feel keeping separate mono tracks is desirable, as its easier to treat one side differently if required)

Are you asking these questions because your system is having trouble handling the load? If that's the case, post details of the computer. Maybe its simply under-powered for audio work, or maybe you have missed system tweaks to get the best performance

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Yes It is because my computer is having some weird issues. THanks for the help @albee1952

edit: Actually I just saw that you have the same MOBO and similar CPU as I do!! I have the Sabertooth x79 with the I7 4930 3.4GHZ! I only have 24 gb of ram tho. I dont think I need more because I barely see that error or see my meters to full. see below.

Pro Tools 12.5 Native HD
Windows 10 64bit
Sabertooth x79
Intel i7 4930k 6-core 3.4GHZ
24gb RAM
UAD Apollo Firewire interface(not using much plugins from UAD)
4 Samsung 850pro SSD drives. 1 for OS/Pro Tools/plugins, 1 for Pro Tools session files, 2 for samples/plugins.
I do have other regular hard drives in the computer but nothing being used for audio.

On my Pro Tools meters I'm showing 40%-55% CPU usage and 20% RAM usage.
On windows Task Manager I am showing 20% CPU and 20% RAM

I am using a variety of plugins from Waves, Fabfilter, Slate, Soundradix, Softube, ikmultimedia, & very minimal UAD(1 or 2 plugins).

A lot of times Pro Tools will just Freeze or I get 2 errors. The error that says CPU power is low and to decrease plugins(I barely get this) or I get a AAE ERROR 6(This happens the most frequently, sometimes I cant even play the track).Also, sometimes Pro Tools will just Freeze and then not do anything. I am using the 1024 sample rate with 24bit/48 session.

I disabled that CPU thing in the BIOS where the CPU tries to save power so it slows down(I dont remember exactly what it was called).

ANY help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Simple Freeze vs Commit question & L/R mono to stereo track

Win10 has a nice feature where you can go and update your GPU card for example.

You probably need to google how b/c I honestly don't remember but you can.

You need to do that for each major component in your computer.

I have the 850 SSD also and I went and let Microsoft check and see if there was a newer controller for my Mobo.

I had a problem in the last 6 months and it was fixed by a old driver, iirc it was an old Ethernet driver (weird I know) but it affected my PT stability.

As old as our mobo's are it's important that we make sure everything is up to date.

You should have disabled the C States in your power setup (bios) you also need to do all your windows optimizations.....

Your sample rate is 48k, bit depth is 24 and your buffer is 1024.... it's important that you say those terms correctly

I also use 12.5.1 HD and I have no issues.

My sessions are small compared to most maybe 30-40 tracks with CPU usually about 30-60 percent, especially as lower buffer settings.

I usually never use a 1024 buffer, my system will run a full session at 256 or at the most 512....just fine

Optimizations for PC

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-optimization/
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Win10 has a nice feature where you can go and update your GPU card for example.

You probably need to google how b/c I honestly don't remember but you can.

You need to do that for each major component in your computer.

I have the 850 SSD also and I went and let Microsoft check and see if there was a newer controller for my Mobo.

I had a problem in the last 6 months and it was fixed by a old driver, iirc it was an old Ethernet driver (weird I know) but it affected my PT stability.

As old as our mobo's are it's important that we make sure everything is up to date.

You should have disabled the C States in your power setup (bios) you also need to do all your windows optimizations.....

Your sample rate is 48k, bit depth is 24 and your buffer is 1024.... it's important that you say those terms correctly

I also use 12.5.1 HD and I have no issues.

My sessions are small compared to most maybe 30-40 tracks with CPU usually about 30-60 percent, especially as lower buffer settings.

I usually never use a 1024 buffer, my system will run a full session at 256 or at the most 512....just fine

Optimizations for PC

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-optimization/
Awesome thank you. I will try and update all my drivers. What was the problem you were having? Was there a newer controller for the 850pro?

Have you ever seen pro tools CPU meter shoot all the way up to 100% then back down?

And yes thank you I really do need to get the terms correct. haha

What is Cstates? Is it called that in my bios?
Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Yes I've seen CPU meter shoot up all the way....I would say that the problem may stem from an old outdated plugin as well.

Yes in the Bios it's referred to as C State, but all Bios are different even though we are both running X79 boards

Old 06-09-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yes I've seen CPU meter shoot up all the way....I would say that the problem may stem from an old outdated plugin as well.

Yes in the Bios it's referred to as C State, but all Bios are different even though we are both running X79 boards
Have you upgraded your firmware for your X79? I never updated it since I got it 2 years ago.

Also have you tried to install any thunderbolt cards? My X79 can't install it but I just ordered a USB c PCI card and will test with an adapter to Thunderbolt2
Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Yes I check my mobo drivers at the main site for Gigabyte every so often.

I've updated a few times, but most recently I went to Win10 from a hackintosh in January and went over everything again and updated.

No TB myself, never tried it...don't need it.