Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-25-2006, 11:33 PM

Default How do I upgrade from 6.1? & is AAC supported?

Hi gang. Go easy on me as I am a newbie in the land of PT. I recently purchased an used Mbox w/ Pro Tools 6.1.2. But I am using an Intel Mac. Thus, like many others, I am waiting for the new plug-ins for 7.1. But I don't know what I need to do to get up to the 7.1 level?. Can I upgrade in one shot from 6.1.2 (at a cost of $75) or must I go through a series of upgrades? Also, I would like to utilize AAC files instead of wav/aiff files, due to storage concerns. Is the latest PT version the only one that supports AAC? I want to get started loading a pile of discs onto my hard-drive, in preparation for dj mixing once the plug-ins are ready, but I don't want to rip a few hundred tracks in AAC only to learn that I can't import them into PT.

Thanking you all in advance for the help and this entry into the world of digi-editing.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: How do I upgrade from 6.1? & is AAC supported?

Well to get the upgrade from the Power PC Binary to the Intel version, you'll need to do the upgrade to 7.0 which will cost like $75.00 or $100.00, I'm not sure. The 7.1.1 Universal Binary hasn't been released yet, so Pro Tools wont even run on the Intel macs...although it should be release by the end of May, hopefully next week. To answer your question you can upgrade from 6.1.2 to 7 no problem. Then once 7.1.1 is release, you'll be eligable for the free download.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:50 AM

PJ is right, you will have to pay for the $75 upgrade to PT7 first, then the Universal Binary version will be a free download once you're up to PT7.

As far as AAC goes, PT7 does support import/export of AAC files, but working within PT is still AIFF/WAV/SD2. When you import an AAC file, it converts it to the file type needed for that session, in previous versions you had to convert the AAC to something else outside of PT first, so it just saves that step and allows you to bounce back directly to AAC when you mix.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
PJ is right, you will have to pay for the $75 upgrade to PT7 first, then the Universal Binary version will be a free download once you're up to PT7.

As far as AAC goes, PT7 does support import/export of AAC files, but working within PT is still AIFF/WAV/SD2. When you import an AAC file, it converts it to the file type needed for that session, in previous versions you had to convert the AAC to something else outside of PT first, so it just saves that step and allows you to bounce back directly to AAC when you mix.
Thanks guys! Kind of you to help me out. Nice to know that I can jump straight from 6.1 to 7.1 without a dozen intermediate steps in between. I'll happily pay the $75 for that. That is WHEN D.D. enable me to install on my Intel Mac.

So, Slim Shady, I assume I am not sacrificing any ease of PT usage by storing all tracks as AAC's? It just seems to be the best option in terms of saving space while still maintaining sound quality (I'll rip everything at 256 kbps CBR). If you have time to confirm that, I'll greatly appreciate it as I plan to start ripping a few hundred tracks this weekend, but don't want to do it all and regret it later once I get PT up and running.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM

No, there's no loss of 'ease of use' it's just the same as if you imported a stereo AIFF or WAV - you will end up with dual-mono AIFF or WAV copies of whatever files you're working with when you import them to PT, but it almost always works that way when you're dealing with CD files anyway, so that's no biggie. I used to do a lot of Radio liners and had a massive (700+GB) library of AAC files that I pulled from for music beds and such (for the same reason as you, sound quality vs. file size) - unfortunatley the AAC import option came along well after I needed it (I had to convert using Quicktime Pro), but at least Digi finally got on board with it. We used 320kbps constant bit rate, but as long as the sound quality of 256kbps works for you then there's no drawback to using AAC over non-compressed formats.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:50 PM

Just see to that you don't first encode CD->AAC, use them in Pro Tools as WAVE and then encode your bounces to AAC or some lossy format. Cascade coding is, well, the Mother Of All Evil.

(as opposed to make music :/ )
Old 05-26-2006, 02:44 PM

Sorry JonesH, I don't understand what you mean. Why not first rip as AAC, then import into PT as such, if PT just converts them to wav or aiff for editing/mixing? That way, I can have a library of available tracks for quick access that don't take up a ton of hd space while still being able to use them in PT. Or did I misunderstand you?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Ignore that, I don't think he understood the situation. I think he's talking about the artifacts that might occur if you rip to AAC, then convert to AIFF/WAV and then convert back to AAC. At the higher bitrates it's not as bad, but the double-encoding (cascade encoding) can be an issue if you're working at lower rates where the compression artifats are very noticable.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:45 PM

Once again, the masked Slim Shady to the rescue. And again, I thank you. By the way, my work is also for radio, and I experimented with 256 & 320 k's and really couldn't detect a difference, and I have fairly discerning ears (although 30 years of blaring headphone use may have taken a toll). Definitely could, however, at 192. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of AAC. I suppose CBR is the way to go -- not VBR, agree?

Thanks again for the guidance on these baby steps to independent production.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:22 AM

AAC is a compressed format. You need all the bits when working in PT or others audio programs. PT can import AAC but it has to convert it bay putting all the missing (empty) 0 & 1 back before you can work in full 24bits resolution.
Allways import your audio from the highest resolution possible. AAC/.mp3 imported to PT will have correct bit resolution but what was missing is gone for ever. Compress only after you are done with your work.
PS.
When you import a file that is compressed, PT is making a new 24bits file to work with so you end with even bigger loss of the disk space.

http://www.mmvstudios.com