Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Norton 360 slows down Pro Tools 8 launch by as much as 2 hours sometimes!

It seemed like I would never have the same Pro Tools I've always with these LONG launch times. I kept thinking that this wasn't happening with McAfee (I still don't advise McAfee for good protection). I recently got Norton Ghost as well. I was thinking that it could've even been my Ghost program. Low and behold, I deactivated Norton 360 and Pro Tools opens faster than I've ever seen! I had to post this because I noticed a lot of other people's frustrations with very slow launch times. Everyone was talking about Prefs and Databases, but I haven't really seen anyone speak on Anti-Virus programs in regards to Pro Tools launch time. I'm really happy about this and wanted to share. I swear I didn't know what the heck was going on for a little while now!

By the way, 8.0.3 seemed to be working just fine being that it is a full program download. Norton 360 gave me these launch issues when trying to update to the likes of 8.0.3cs2 update and 8.0.4 update. And to think, I was frustrated to the point of buying Windows 7 and Pro Tools 9 lol I'm totally fine with my 8.0.4!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Norton 360 slows down Pro Tools 8 launch by as much as 2 hours sometimes!

Anti-virus programs (or any programs that run in the "background") are generally not recommended when running ProTools....
Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Norton 360 slows down Pro Tools 8 launch by as much as 2 hours sometimes!

And Norton is one of the most system intensive AV's out there. McAfee is right up there. I haven't used either since 2005. This PC I'm using right now was running like a slug until I removed Norton and got a more streamlined program. Norton would slow launching of MS Word to a couple minutes. Now it launches in 15 seconds.

Still AV's, Anti-spyware programs don't play well with DAWs in general. Not just PT.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
Anti-virus programs (or any programs that run in the "background") are generally not recommended when running ProTools....
That's for sure
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
And Norton is one of the most system intensive AV's out there. McAfee is right up there. I haven't used either since 2005. This PC I'm using right now was running like a slug until I removed Norton and got a more streamlined program. Norton would slow launching of MS Word to a couple minutes. Now it launches in 15 seconds.

Still AV's, Anti-spyware programs don't play well with DAWs in general. Not just PT.
I definitely see that now. This is my first real experience with an Anti-Virus program giving me this kind of grief. I still have some production in Cubase SX and all of the sudden McAfee updated their program and now an application extension of Cubase is removed every time you run a scan. Cubase will not run without that application extension. That's why I recently switched to Norton even though Pro Tools was running fine. I want everything on my computer to work.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 AM

FS1, I know that not everyone can afford to do it but if your going to do serious work on a DAW it's worth it to have a machine dedicated to just that. My audio workstation never touches the internet so I can leave it stripped down and optimized to record.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 PM

Norton shouldn't be installed...ever.
it shouldn't even be installed on Norton's company systems. i'd like to "uninstall them" from earth.

Avoid.

Try Avira! :)
(it's free too)

add; good luck uninstalling btw.

try this if problems: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...834EN&ln=en_US
Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
FS1, I know that not everyone can afford to do it but if your going to do serious work on a DAW it's worth it to have a machine dedicated to just that. My audio workstation never touches the internet so I can leave it stripped down and optimized to record.
Yeah, I'm looking to get another laptop or netbook just to get on the internet. That is going to be a big load off my mind. Never having to worry about my music being affected by being online. THAT IS GOING TO BE A LITTLE PIECE OF HEAVEN lol Good advice
Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
Norton shouldn't be installed...ever.
it shouldn't even be installed on Norton's company systems. i'd like to "uninstall them" from earth.

Avoid.

Try Avira! :)
(it's free too)

add; good luck uninstalling btw.

try this if problems: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...834EN&ln=en_US
LOL! I'm going to take a look at Avira
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 PM

This is what I use. I have it installed on the DAW for when I need to put that system on the internet. I shut it down when I use my software. It uses so few system resources, that I've forgotten and had no problems with a large session with PT, Studio One, and other stuff. Still you should disable it before you run PT.

http://vipreantivirus.com/ -- the one in the middle.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)