Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

Default Trying to use external keyboard sounds

I am trying to use the sounds from my Casio Keyboard in Protools 10LE, but all I can seem to do is use it as a control surface for the various plugins that I have.

Would appreciate if someone could help me out. I already looked at the PDF manual and all I could find was how to turn my keyboard into a controller.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Trying to use external keyboard sounds

First things first, does the keyboard have a midi in jack?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM

It does. I am connected to the Midi Out on the keyboard to the Midi In on my Eleven Rack interface. I currently have an Instrument track processing Midi data through Expand for some symphonic type stuff, but I like the sounds on my keyboard better.

I can control the plugins I have (Expand2 and the like) but I want to use the sounds off of my keyboard.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM

To use the sounds on your keyboard you need to use a 1/4" cable coming from the audio output (not MIDI) from the keyboard plugging into a 1/4" audio input on your Eleven Rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Does that work for sequencing and writing midi? I am not a keyboard player, so I have to map out my tracks.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmetalguitar88 View Post
It does. I am connected to the Midi Out on the keyboard to the Midi In on my Eleven Rack interface. I currently have an Instrument track processing Midi data through Expand for some symphonic type stuff, but I like the sounds on my keyboard better.

I can control the plugins I have (Expand2 and the like) but I want to use the sounds off of my keyboard.
The basic setup is this:
Get another midi cable and go from the midi out of the eleven rack to the midi in on the keyboard.
Connect the audio out(s) from the keyboard to the line inputs on the eleven rack.
Create a plain midi track, set it's output to the eleven rack's midi output port, and channel 1.
Create a stereo audio track and set it's inputs to the eleven rack line ins. Record enable it.
Set up the keyboard so it receives on midi channel 1.
Draw some notes on the midi track, and play them back to see if you get sound.

The unknown is configuring the keyboard to recieve midi, it's different for every one.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info! I will try this as soon as I get the chance.

It is a pretty basic keyboard and doesn't have a GUI other than a musical staff, fingering positions, and what sound bank you are on so I hope that it just receives the midi data automatically.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Somewhere in the manual there is hopefully a midi implentation chart. This will tell you what controller numbers/values, program changes, and or midi channels are used to automate patch changes, effects etc. This way you can fully automate it from pro tools.