Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2023, 12:29 AM

Default The fastest way to start playback

I'm a Pro Tools manipulator for live concerts. Sometimes, I need to start Pro Tools in sync with the band. When I used a Mac Pro with HD I/O and HD Card, and ran Pro Tools HD9, pressing Control + Space to put it into standby mode, and then pressing Space to play, there was almost no lag. Now, using a 2022 Mac Studio with HD I/O and HDX Card, running Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.3.0 and doing the same thing, I experience noticeable lag. If anyone knows how to resolve this, I would appreciate your input. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:54 PM

Default Re: The fastest way to start playback

Do you have a MIDI count in set up?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:10 PM

What delay? How many seconds and/or samples? We have no idea if you are talking about 1024 samples or 5 minutes.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:52 PM

Right click the play button, select Prime for Playback.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:16 AM

This is my first time using this platform, so I apologize if I've made any mistakes or breaches of etiquette.
I'm referring to the time it takes from when the Space button is pressed for playback until the sound actually plays.
Currently, it takes about 0.16 seconds from pressing the button until the sound plays.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:27 AM

Reducing the buffer size in the Playback Engine settings also helps.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:28 AM

Right click the play button, select Prime for Playback. This is the same as Control + Space, which I have always been using. However, with the new equipment, there is a significant delay. By the way, I have set the buffer size to 64 samples.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:00 AM

What happens when you disable delay compensation?
Old 05-28-2023, 06:13 AM

I'm not able to test it right now because I don't have the actual machine at home, but I'm not using delay compensation. Delay compensation automatically shifts the waveform slightly forward for playback, right? What I want this time is for the sound to play simultaneously like a musical instrument when the Space button is pressed. When I used a Mac Pro with HD I/O and HD Card, running Pro Tools HD9, the playback was just on time.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warube View Post
I'm not able to test it right now because I don't have the actual machine at home, but I'm not using delay compensation. Delay compensation automatically shifts the waveform slightly forward for playback, right? What I want this time is for the sound to play simultaneously like a musical instrument when the Space button is pressed. When I used a Mac Pro with HD I/O and HD Card, running Pro Tools HD9, the playback was just on time.
This depends entirely on what is in your session and how big it is as well as where the session is located. Other factors include video playback and midi. Try things like committing tracks, freezing tracks, keeping the session on the internal Mac hard drive. Removing any unused tracks and media.