Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Yosemite and Mbox 2 Drivers (Good news so far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post
Thanks for the update. I too have an Mbox 2 mini with the 10.3.3 drivers installed, then upgraded to Yosemite and the device disappeared - no green LED light, "Unable to connect to Mbox 2" in the preference panel.

I will tinker with the 10.3.3 driver like you suggest and see if I can coax it into working again.

Cheers

EDIT: Aha! Success! (For Now)

Here's what I did to get the MBox 2 mini to work:

1) Manually uninstalled the driver components (delete, then empty trash):
• /System/library/extensions/DigidesignMbox2.kext
• /System/library/extensions/DigidesignMbox2Boot.kext
• /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin
• /Library/Startupitems/Digidesign Mbox2
• /Library/Startupitems/DigidesignLoader

2) Opened System Preferences, right-clicked "Digidesign MBox 2" icon, selected "Remove "Digidesign MBox 2" Preference Pane"

3) Rebooted

4) Installed Mbox 2 Driver 10.3.3. After, the computer rebooted.

5) Switched the physical USB port the MBox was connected to, then after a few seconds the green LED came on and it's working normally now.
I just wanted to say thanks for this as well. The first 2 .kext files were in a different location than what you described (I forget now where), but I searched around a bit, found them and deleted them.

Like others, I also have to startup my Mac Pro with the Mbox 2 mini connected.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 PM

I need the Mbox2 driver for OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. Seeing conflicting solutions. in My Preferences it says "The selected device has no input controls". I've downloaded well over 10 drivers, no luck. Anyone have a solution, or have they not released the driver for it yet?

Thanks,
Dayton
Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post
Thanks for the update. I too have an Mbox 2 mini with the 10.3.3 drivers installed, then upgraded to Yosemite and the device disappeared - no green LED light, "Unable to connect to Mbox 2" in the preference panel.

I will tinker with the 10.3.3 driver like you suggest and see if I can coax it into working again.

Cheers

EDIT: Aha! Success! (For Now)

Here's what I did to get the MBox 2 mini to work:

1) Manually uninstalled the driver components (delete, then empty trash):
• /System/library/extensions/DigidesignMbox2.kext
• /System/library/extensions/DigidesignMbox2Boot.kext
• /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin
• /Library/Startupitems/Digidesign Mbox2
• /Library/Startupitems/DigidesignLoader

2) Opened System Preferences, right-clicked "Digidesign MBox 2" icon, selected "Remove "Digidesign MBox 2" Preference Pane"

3) Rebooted

4) Installed Mbox 2 Driver 10.3.3. After, the computer rebooted.

5) Switched the physical USB port the MBox was connected to, then after a few seconds the green LED came on and it's working normally now.

Orchetect you are a life saver!!! I registerd on this forum just to post this thank you. I tried other options like switchign USB cables or reinstalling the drives but nothing worked until i followed this.

I am running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and have an MBox Mini 2, just installed driver update 10.3.3 and the green LED Light turns on after a few seconds. The 10.3.9 driver update DID NOT work on Yosemite for me and no light comes on. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 PM

Glad I could help.

My Mbox2 Mini is still working under OS X 10.10.5 and I haven't had to do the driver cleanup/reinstall since I first did it a long time ago. The only quirk is that after every reboot, I have to swap the MBox2's USB port then it's fine.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be testing both drivers to see if they will work on OS X El Capitan. Unless someone has already done so please post your results.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Re: El Capitan 10.11 and Mbox 2 Drivers (Results not good)

So as promised I've installed OS X El Capitan 10.11 GM Candidate, and the results are not good if you plan on using your Mbox 2 Drivers.

Tests conducted under 10.11 GM Candidate and 10.11.1 Public Beta 1

10.3.3 Drivers - Installed fine, all green lights on Mbox 2 device are bright green as if everything is working fine, Both directly connected to USB port and via Hub. The preference pane for the Mbox 2 says it's not connected, and under sound (System Preference) it doesn't show up at all. So there is some sort of connection but it does not register at all and it basically useless at the moment, but maybe Avid can do some investigating and work with Apple to find a resolution to the problem.

10.3.9 Drivers - Installs fine, lights are all dim with really no signs of life. The preference pane for the Mbox 2 says it's not connected, and under sound (System Preference) it doesn't show up at all. So just like Yosemite this driver is DOA.

So these are the results of testing both drivers, as it stands El Capitan 10.11 is your Mbox 2 Killer, unless someone finds a possible solution.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:45 AM

Hi. I'm trying to run my Mbox 2 through a new MacBook Pro to GB and really what it makes me wonder - sorry - is why I would ever, ever buy another product from Avid, because from what I can tell they will eventually stop supporting it. Mbox 2 is a fine interface with everything I need. Now I'm going to have to get another one and I guarantee you it ain't gonna be from this company.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Hi guys, I joined so that I can share my experience with Yosemite and the Mbox2 Pro, which has been great, surprisingly. I've been following this thread for a while and was sticking with Mavericks for months in fear that upgrading to Yosemite would render my Mbox2 Pro useless.

I decided last night that I would risk the update. I went ahead and to my surprise I had no problems at all. I'm using a Mac mini (Late 2012) and the Mbox2 Pro which is connected via Firewire and also has the power supply connected to the unit. I'm aware some of the other Mbox units don't have a power supply and run from USB power, so I think my success has something to do with the fact my Mbox2 Pro is running off the power supply and is connected via Firewire. I'm using the latest driver on the Avid website that I was using with Mavericks, I've not had to reinstall the older driver or connect and disconnect anything from my Mac to get things working. All is well.

Has anyone had any problems with the Mbox2 Pro or are all the problems here with the regular Mbox2 and Mbox2 mini?

Thanks for all the helpful posts here!
Old 11-28-2015, 07:58 AM

I just upgraded to PT12.3.1, and to El Capitan. No problems whatsoever with MBox2 I'm happy to say!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Hey,

managed to use my MBox2 with 10.3.9 and 10.3.3 Drivers without any problem (also replug not necessary after reboot) on Yosemite 10.10.5 :)

Its an quite easy hack,
cause StartupItems are not used anymore in newer versions of OS X,
you simply got to launch the MBox2Service by launchctl :)

Install Instructions:

1. Install 10.3.9 or 10.3.3 Drivers from here
2. Download "com.digidesign.mbox2.plist" from here
3. Copy "com.digidesign.mbox2.plist" it into "/Library/LaunchAgents"
4. Open terminal and run "sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/com.digidesign.mbox2.plist" (without quotes)
5. Open terminal and run "sudo chmod 644 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.digidesign.mbox2.plist" (without quotes)
6. Open terminal and run "sudo launchctl load -wF /Library/LaunchAgents/com.digidesign.mbox2.plist" (without quotes)
7. Delete "DigidesignLoader" from "/Library/StartupItems"
8. Reboot

So whenever a user logs in Mbox2Service will start and power it up...
Also tried to integrate it in early bootprocess but didnt help cause caused bootlag and sound playback wasnt available even if Mbox2 was powered up...

so HF

Last edited by reelgirly; 10-06-2016 at 08:49 AM.