Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Question Omni HD or SSL Alpha Link

HI
Is there Anyone who already compared the Avid Omni converters with the new SSL Alpha link MX (or Alpha Link MADI) as far as the converters go ?

I'm upgrading my gears soon and I'm wondering which unit would be the best as far as sound quality and so on. I wanted to buy an Omni HD interface with Native HD card & Protools 10. Then I saw the new SSL Alpha Link MX and I'm wondering if it's better or not ?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Omni HD or SSL Alpha Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp26 View Post
HI
Is there Anyone who already compared the Avid Omni converters with the new SSL Alpha link MX (or Alpha Link MADI) as far as the converters go ?

I'm upgrading my gears soon and I'm wondering which unit would be the best as far as sound quality and so on. I wanted to buy an Omni HD interface with Native HD card & Protools 10. Then I saw the new SSL Alpha Link MX and I'm wondering if it's better or not ?

Thanks
Depends on what you need from each. Do you need the preamps and other stuff that's possible from the Omni? If you want to run PT HD with the HD Native card, if you go the SSL Alpha Link MX you're going to need the Avid MADI interface as well because you need some way to get the MADI signal into the Native card. If you go all SSL (Alpha Link to MADI X8 or MADI Extreme) then you won't be able to run PT HD.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Depends on what you need from each. Do you need the preamps and other stuff that's possible from the Omni? If you want to run PT HD with the HD Native card, if you go the SSL Alpha Link MX you're going to need the Avid MADI interface as well because you need some way to get the MADI signal into the Native card. If you go all SSL (Alpha Link to MADI X8 or MADI Extreme) then you won't be able to run PT HD.
Not completely true: My buddy has three systems--two with Avid Madi to SSL Madi SX and one with SSL Delta to SSL Madi SX; all three work with PT HD.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-...s/date-asc/100

http://soundbetter.com/profiles/3845-john-siket
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 AM

I worked at a facility with the SSL madi box yesterday, not very funky at all. Unreliable.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM

I am working with the MadiXtreme and Alpha-Link MADI AX combination for about a year now, its rock solid for me with Pro Tools HD 10.x.
I am not getting any of the dreaded 9092 - 9094 errors I am seeing with my HD Native card.

Oliver
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 AM

There isn't to much of a difference between the two. I run an Alpha Link with a Delta link and am very happy with that. I chose SSL because of their support. You can send an email and they'll get right back to you. With AVID you have to purchase a code for support and it can take several days.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM

We've been running 2-SSL DeltaLinks for almost 4-years with 128-IO from an SSL C200 console. There is a bit of weirdness that happens when PT first boots and won't recognize the interfaces, but once you recycle power as suggested by PT, all is happy and stable.

However, you are talking about AlphaLink, right? Same concept but with SSL A/D conversion?

I do have to agree with percent42 that SSL's support if EXCELLENT, but we also pay a yearly fee for what we have.

Good luck!