Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 AM

Default Please make hardware Insert I/O freely assignable

I'm a long time Cubase user and spent my first week with Pro Tools and so far have been liking it a lot but....

Please Avid make the Hardware Insert I/O freely assignable. I know this probably doesn't effect a lot of people but I use an Alesis HD24 XR/RME HDSP 9652 and I can't use the hardware inserts because my I/O only flows one way in pairs. In Cubase and Reaper I assign sends to 1&2 and returns to 3 &4 etc. but in PT I can't do this because it's set up to send and return on the same port which I can't do with the HD24XR.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Please make hardware Insert I/O freely assignable

Never something I heard being an issue before, but you could just output the channel to say 3-4, to your gear then create another track and input it on say 5-6 where your gear comes in, or get a patchbay to resolve the issue. I am saying this as I am assuming this is not high on their to do list or feature request list

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-11-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Never something I heard being an issue before, but you could just output the channel to say 3-4, to your gear then create another track and input it on say 5-6 where your gear comes in, or get a patchbay to resolve the issue. I am saying this as I am assuming this is not high on their to do list or feature request list
I kind of figured it wasn't high on their to do list but I can hope. lol Yes I thought about doing what you said but I'll have to figure out how the latency would come into play as I've never had to worry about that in this type of application.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I kind of figured it wasn't high on their to do list but I can hope. lol Yes I thought about doing what you said but I'll have to figure out how the latency would come into play as I've never had to worry about that in this type of application.

Thanks
Can't take dmans dreams!!!!!

I use patchbays so this has never been an issue, but I can see your problem.

The latency in my described scenario would be the same as your insert, only using an extra track.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Can't take dmans dreams!!!!!

I use patchbays so this has never been an issue, but I can see your problem.

The latency in my described scenario would be the same as your insert, only using an extra track.
I was under the assumption that the latency would be a problem because it's compensated for with inserts but not the above scenario. I do have the whole studio on patchbays.

Are you saying with what you described the latency would be compensated?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I was under the assumption that the latency would be a problem because it's commentated for with inserts but not the above scenario. I do have the whole studio on patchbays.

Are you saying with what you described the latency would be compensated?

Thanks
I believe you said you are using a 002?? Yes you are fine.

If your on patchbays it would take 2 secs to patch out the last piece of gear and into the converter on the interface to fix your problem.

I assume you have things normalled from gear to your interface and the input for the piece of gear from the interface does not match the gear output into the interface??? You could also fix this quickly on your most often inserted gear just by moving a few cables behind the patchbay and labels on he front of your parchbay. Once again, I know this is not what you ate asking, but will resolve the issue.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10