Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Default Problem enabling video engine 2019.6

After I imported a video-file to my latest project to start scoring, Pro Tools just froze, unable to enable video engine. After reading through forums and finding suggestions for fixes, I uninstalled everything related to Avid and Pro Tools on my computer, and downloaded 2019.6. But the problem still persists. Pro Tools 2019.6 is not enabling video engine. Pro Tools is on it's way to putting me out of business now..

I have tried to clean register, uninstall and reinstall Quick Time, and even converted my videofile to DnxHD, to no avail.

My last resort is to ask here if by any chance someone may have a solution for this error. My computer is a Dell 2710 AIO running Win 10.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Problem enabling video engine 2019.6

You could try trashing your pro tools preferences. Then do a restart and it will be rebuilt. Maybe google how to on pc, it's in the user/app data folder. There may be something buggy hanging over in there.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 AM

Thank you for your reply. I found how to delete the preferences, but sadly I am still sitting here looking at "waiting for the Video Engine to launch..."-window. I find it hard to believe that a company like Avid, that has both PT and MC as their main products, make it so impossibly difficult to combine audio and video in their programs. I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to fix this issue, rather than compose the score that I need to get done. And today I have to just keep on searching for a way to fix something that just should work. Sorry Avid, not good enough.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 AM

It sounds frustrating. Generally it works fine. Are you getting the problem with just the one video file? Have you tried creating a new blank session and importing another video file just to see if it is specific to this one video?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:37 AM

Thank you for trying to understand. I am trying to enable video engine in my playback engine. I have earlier tried to import a .mov-file, a DnxHD-file, and also to hold the n-key when PT launches and hitting enable video engine on the splash screen, to no avail.

I have downloaded Asio4All and tried to enable video engine with that as my device, but with the same poor result. I tried to uninstall 2019.6 before I went to bed last night, and did a new install of 2019.6. Didn't help. I cleaned the registery before reinstalling.

I am at loss for options now.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:47 AM

You could try a system restore to the last point before you imported this particular video, it might get your video engine going again. If the video that caused the problem isn't too big and you can post a link here, I could DL it and have a look in Davinci Resolve to see if it plays ok. Might be something wrong with it.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:56 AM

I am downloading and installing the latest Nvidia GeForce-driver now, to see if that helps. The file plays fine in QT, and even the DnxHD-copy I made of the video using Blackmagic plays fine in QT. The original video-file I received from my client is only 14mb. Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vrG...ew?usp=sharing

But please don't waste your day spending too much time on this issue!
Old 08-11-2019, 02:24 AM

Hi, the video in that link imports and plays fine on my system, {T12 on windows. No audio though. So I reckon something is not working in your particular setup, rather than the video being the cause. Sorry I can't help more...it's such a horrible feeling when this sort of thing happens, when it does to me, I can feel my head getting hotter..
Old 08-11-2019, 02:30 AM

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it. I am trying to keep calm, but knowing I might be losing my client if I don't have a score ready by tomorrow, will keep me pinned to my computer for the rest of the day..
Old 08-11-2019, 02:32 AM

Good luck! If all else fails, maybe try the windows system restore to an earlier point when the video engine was working. Backup your session files first though.