Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-06-2009, 11:10 AM

Default Can You Transfer iLok Licenses To A New iLok If Your Old iLok Is Broken?

I know about a $25 fee, but need some more information. My old iLok broke a few months ago, and I never RMA'ed it or sent it in. I don't want to go to the hassle and don't mind paying the $25 fee for the transfer, but do I need to have my old iLok present to transfer my licenses to a new iLok, or will the payment of $25 deactivate the licenses on my old iLok and only make it work on my new iLok?

I purchased STRUCTURE LE and HYBRID a few months back (actually close to a year back) and would now like to use them, but do NOT want to wait a month to have my stuff RMA'ed, sent elsewhere and then back.

Thanks in advance for your contributions to this thread!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Can You Transfer iLok Licenses To A New iLok If Your Old iLok Is Broken?

This is really a question for the iLok website. I suspect that if you make arrangements with them, you could mail in your old and new iLoks and they would verify the old one as kaput and re-assign your authorizations to the new one(and maybe charge something for doing so). The $25 transfer fee is for selling authorizations to another person so I don't know how/if it applies in your case. Contact iLok and let us know what happens.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Can You Transfer iLok Licenses To A New iLok If Your Old iLok Is Broken?

You can purchase Zero Downtime coverage form iLok and receive the transfers to your new ilok much faster. Sign in and go to Zero Downtime.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread. Thanks for the info!!!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
You can purchase Zero Downtime coverage form iLok and receive the transfers to your new ilok much faster. Sign in and go to Zero Downtime.
Yeah thats right, you can PAY THEM so you have access to the licenses you already OWN! All the info is on the Ilok site of what to do if your iLok breaks, you are subject to a number of charges ($$$) then they get to decide if you really do own what you paid for, and if they dont think so, they lock you out forever and claim no liability. You will need to email or call them and try to "sweet talk" them into getting you a new one. Isnt Ilok great!

P.S. they never did do anything to fix my sync problem i posted about a few weeks ago. They basically said "Go buy another pc to sync with" that was their solution! I love ilok.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 AM

No, you can't move licenses from a broken iLok to a new iLok. End of that story.
The iLok you're moving licenses FROM has to be sync'd to your account, as does the iLok you're moving them TO.
You'll have to send the broken iLok to them, and they'll place the licenses back in your account, or onto a new iLok, and send the new one back.
The $25 fee has nothing to do with moving licenses from iLok to iLok within your own account.
That's a per license fee for transferring to another person's account.
The sad news is that their will be downtime between now and whenever they get your situation straightened out. So, better to sent it ASAP
I personally have no problem with paying the $30/year zero downtime.
I have 100 licenses on my iLok, and $.30 insurance per asset per year makes sense to me.
Thankfully, I haven't had an iLok issue in the 8 years I've used it.