Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2002, 12:39 AM

Default 2 Apple ADC monitors with PT ?

Is that possible to connect two ADC monitors with PT. I have one 22" apple, a second one would be perfect ? But no agp double ADC anywhere ? A solution ?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2002, 01:03 AM

Default Re: 2 Apple ADC monitors with PT ?

A couple of solutions.

The best is to get the new nVIdia Titanium card. Only available from Apple store as $250 upgrade to new PowerMac or $399 seperately. This has one ADC connector and one DVI. All you will need is an adapter to hook up the second ADC monitor to the DVI output on the card.

Second best (but the least expensive). Install Radeon DVI PCI card and use DVI to ADC adapter. Only problem with this is PCI traffic might be high.

Third best-if you have a PowerMac from July 2001 or later it probably has an nVidia TwinView card. One ADC out and one VGA output. You can get a VGA to ADC adapter from gefen.com. Only problem is, it costs $399 (same as nvidia titanium card!!!) and the VGA connection won't look as good as digital connection. Now that the nVidia Titanium card has come out and can be bought seperately, this option doesn't make much sense.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:41 AM

Thank you Chris. I have a 933 mac with the twinview card, so the update will be the best solution for me and then buy a dvi to adc connector. Do you think the quality will be very different with the second monitor ?
Old 06-15-2002, 03:51 AM

I have one G4 w/an ADC connector and one w/ DVI. They both look identical. ADC, I believe, is nothing more than a combination of USB, power, and DVI all rolled into one. So I think it's really DVI anyway.

I would definitely avoid getting a pci card to do what you want. The upgrade to the titanium sounds like best route.

Ofcourse, if you buy a new cinema display, I think it will require power from the ADC cable. I don't think that a DVI connector will supply power. That's not a major problem. I use a gefen dvi to adc converter. The dvi signal goes to the converter box, which has it's own power supply, then gets combined with power before turning into the adc output. So my cinema gets it's power that way.

Good luck,
J
Old 06-15-2002, 06:10 AM

I think you're getting DVI & VGA confused.
DVI is digital, VGA is analog. I think the twinview you have is probably one ADC & one VGA.
The ADC is basically DVI plus usb & power.
You will see a slight degradation comparatively on the VGA monitor when you have a VGA & ADC/DVI side by side. It's not a big deal to me, but I'm probably not very sensitive to such things.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:43 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 06-15-2002, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan LaFleur:
I think you're getting DVI & VGA confused.
DVI is digital, VGA is analog. I think the twinview you have is probably one ADC & one VGA.
The ADC is basically DVI plus usb & power.
You will see a slight degradation comparatively on the VGA monitor when you have a VGA & ADC/DVI side by side. It's not a big deal to me, but I'm probably not very sensitive to such things.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The new NVidia Titanium has one ADC and one DVI. The stock NVidia card that currently comes with Powermacs has one ADC and one VGA. (BTW I was told by an Apple Tech that 2 ADC on one card would be impossible due to the power requirements.)
Old 06-15-2002, 10:09 AM

Yes, you can have two Apple displays (including Cinemas) without using a VGA to ADC adapter: http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

Jeff D.