Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Advice for a n00b?

Hey everyone,
... I'm about to open up a studio [already leased the building, blah blah blah] on Nov. 1st...
I know most of you members are very skilled, trained, and educated Engineers, producers, etc. Well I was wondering if you guys could shed a little light.
I started into the world of audio [both as an artist, and 'engineer'] about 3 months ago -- and as with most things that I love, I picked it up really fast. I'm no guru, but I try.
I'm a COMPLETE newbie to Pro-tools, so any quick-tips on how to function would be great (I already saw the instructional videos on 'disk') such as how to add effects and such....

I'm going to write up a list of my equiptment so you can better understand my situation:

- B.L.U.E Blueberry Mic
- B.L.U.E Cranberry XLR cabel
- Digi 002 rack (no board, just rack)
- Sony MDR-V900 monitor headphones
- Sennheiser HD280 PRO monitor headphones (for recording and assistand monitoring)
- Summit TLA-50 levelar (compressor).
- 4 speakers [2 of which are rather large DJ speakers]
- CompaQ presario 7000 series, windows XP, 256MBs rap (upping to 512).

extra stuff:
- Yamaha MG10/2 mixing consol
- Delta 44 soundcard
- Monster XLR Cables
- Monster Y-wire cables.
- Sennheiser e835 (corded)
- Shure Beta58a (wireless).

Software:
- Pro Tools 6.1
- Cool Edit 2.1

Any suggestions would be great...
Old 10-25-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Advice for a n00b?

I suggest you get out of the lease before it's too late. Spend a few years learning how to work this stuff, and get a lot more gear.

Old 10-25-2003, 07:05 PM

cruel
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM

Dump the speakers, buy monitors then get out of the lease!!!
Old 10-25-2003, 07:45 PM

Quote:
cruel
.. but honest.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-25-2003, 08:37 PM

OUCH!
Best advice given I think my friend. If it means anything to you, I have been doing this since January. Always been on the flip side as the artist recording. I would keep your day job, and make it a Hobby studio out of the house for a year. See if you get clients, and see how you mixes turn out. It is not jst art, but science and takes a lot of time to learn the stuff. Being here, you learn a lot. Read all the forums here and there and everywhere. Take time, buy books, learn... Intern somewhere, then move on. You will need a hell of a lot more mics if you plan on recording people. Not just that one, and I hope to god that is not all that you have. Great, mic, but you will need a lot more than that! So, I must say that I agree with the above said, get out of the lease, and work independently out of the house. Market yourself, and get the name out. Do a first recording for free. Do others for dirt cheap. Hell, don't charge! You sound like you need to learn more...

Just my honest opinion. I come here daily, talk to everyone and learn a lot everyday. I suggest that you start to do the same thing!

Good luck!
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 10-25-2003, 10:45 PM

I really, really do agree with you guys on alot of things. And I can see why you would advice me to do so, but there are some key-factors why I wont.

Probably the most important, I live in FLORIDA -- just above miami. There are about "0" studios here, you have to go down to south miami for a studio, and they cost alot. Another thing is just about EVERY kid/group here wants to be in a studio -- but can't get the ride out, don't want to pay $70/hour and blazy blah. I plan to expand, and learn from this -- more so then to make a profit. I couldn't get a job at any studios, because none of them were close enough... I already know a good deal, and have thrown together some projects that get air-play, infact I've done some sessions (intros and such) for DJ FATBOOTY of Power96 (FL's #1 station). I've done alot of homework on both the technical aspects, and I already know a great deal about the marketing/business angle (as does my partner). I do good work with audio, I've just been using a low-budget (but nice) program called "Cool Edit" up 'til now... I know 3 months doesn't sound like alot of time, but you would really have to get to know me -- I picked up web/graphic design inside of a week and started making sites that clients shelled $1,000 for -- my highest pay was a $5,000 deal for something that took me a weeks work as well as the profit I've made from doing print media.
As for "getting the name out", I already have. As I've said I've worked with Power96 and their DJ's. I also host MC battles (Icon Mic Nights) the last one caught about 300 heads, on a thursday night durring a storm. I have mix-tapes out which gets the name spread... Infact I have a pretty big mix-tape coming out with artists like; Royce 5'9", (exclusive from) Jin, and so on...
I'm really not worrying about 'failing' -- Just about getting even BETTER at what I do now.
Regardless, I don't care what anyone says, this is my dream, and my love... I only have 1 life to live.... If I die tonight I will be happy with the decision I made to start this.

P.S; My intent is to charge for vocal/guitar recording -- and slash prices, or even give free for most other recordings, so I can learn... then charge.

I really do respect you guys, I know most of you are very talented, but this is just how I feel. If I fail or sucessed, doesn't matter.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:17 PM

Sound like your involved in hip-hop. You sould post on the Hip hop in Pro Tools thread on the Mac-le side. We welcome PC users.
Tito
homepage
Old 10-26-2003, 12:37 AM

Regardless wether its wise what you do, there are some flaws in your setup.

Get real monitors. They differ with normal speakers in that they sound as flat as possoble. Say you have some speakers with a nice deep sound. When you use those for mixing, i a, pretty sure your mix will sound brittle on other speakers. That is why flat neutral monitors are important.

Get a few big fast harddiscs. Preferably Firewire ones.

dont use a wireless mic in a studio. Makes no sense. They usually have some compressor/limitter build in the transmitter, and the transmitter itself will make the mic noisy.

Bastiaan
Old 10-26-2003, 12:40 AM

^ My mistake, I do have a pair of monitors, forgot to list them...
as for the wireless I had no intent on using it, just felt like listing it, lol..

Yes, my main preferance in genere is hip-hop, but I want to tap into everything. Limitations are a mother, you know?