Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 PM

Default Amplifier Emulation/ Interface Options

I currently have a pretty basic setup. I have Protool 12.7 and use a Behringer U-Phoria Interface on my 2010 IMAC with the most recent OS. I need a good AMP Emulator that will provide the best sounds for Metal Guitar recording. I have the “Eleven” Plug in within ProTools. Should I just buy the Eleven Rack Hardware? Are there other option any would recommend. Budget is not a huge concern. Quality is more important... obviously don’t want to spend an arm and a leg. Also, can I run this an amp emulator hardware through the Behringer or would I have to switch my internal interface?

TE
Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Amplifier Emulation/ Interface Options

You will likely get lots of opinions on this, so here's mine
1-Cost not an object? Buy a Kemper Profiler. Its killer in the hands of any reasonably talented player.
2-Eleven Rack is a decent piece but quite limited next to the Kemper. It CAN also be your interface, but its also on the "old" side of these things. My 2nd choice for hardware would likely be the Headrush Pedalboard. It takes the Eleven Rack platform up several notches, and its cheaper than the Line 6 Helix(which also can sound really good)
3-there are lots of software options and most any is capable of sounding great in a mix. They are also equally capable of sounding like crap. The difference comes down to the player and your willingness to put the time into tweaking the hundred things that are tweakable.
4-if you already have some pedals, a Fender Deluxe Reverb with ribbon mic can cover a lot of ground(if you can work with a live amp). Alternately, the Fender Super Champ XD head into a Palmer speaker load box......(yeah, there really are way too many options)
Asus x99, Intel i7 6800K, 32 gig DDR4, GeForce 750 Ti, HD/Native, HD IOx2, PT11HD, UAD Quad, preamps from Vintech, Five Fish Audio, Miktek, Focusrite, Chameleon Labs and Midas..............................
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works
www.capricornsoundworks.com

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Awesome feedback Dave and I appreciate it!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 PM

Three words:

Kemper

Kemper

Kemper
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 AM

What Eleven plugin? Eleven free? Eleven or Eleven Mk II? What amp sims in it do you use/like?

Are you just recording or do you want to play live? Have a dedicated box to practice on? What are you trying to do/solve exactly? And specific problems now? Stuff sounds wrong? Hum? Etc.

For metal/high-gain Amps, especially playing live I would look at the Fractal Axe-FX-II.

If you like the Eleven plugin sounds and want a live or practice box for that yes get the Eleven Rack. It is a bargain. Everybody should have one.

If you are just focused on recording and learning stuff as you go then hardware may not be where you should focus, you might start trialing software like BIAS Amp and FX... esp. if you like tweaking stuff. Or don’t fixate on that now, it may be mixing, layering, EQ etc. where you should focus. The biggest help there may be watching tutorials, reading up on guitar recording and mixing, etc,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM

If you want just a plug-in to use inside pro tools go to the Plugin Alliance website and demo the MegaDual guitar amp to see what you think of it. It’s an emulation of the Mesa Boogie dual rectifier amp that was built for getting metal guitar sounds.
Pro Tools HD 12.7.1, PT|Control 3.7, Eucon 3.7, Pro Tools Dock, iPad Mini 4, 3 X UA Apollo 8p TB, UAD2 Satellite Quad TB, Octo Core card with UAD Plugins. Various Avid Sonnox Flux Drumagog and Plugin Alliance plugins. Motu MIDI Express 128, Windows 10 Pro, Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, Intel i7 6700k, Samsung 950 M2 OS drive and 2 X Samsung SSD plus spinner drives.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanks to Dave I went and played around with the Kemper Profiler today.... it’s everything I could have ever dreamed of inside a small portable box. Probably the single most amazing piece of music equipment I’ve seen as a guitarist and I didn’t even know it existed... because I have a small child, wife, job, and think the ****ty music I play and record at home with built in plug-ins is sufficient. Ie..it’s like I was living on earth and suddenly discovered there was this infinite Universe outside of my box I call home. Thanks for your help.... now if I start saving I can afford one for my daughter in 5 years.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Kemper is on another level. I used to be a massive line 6 fan but the kemper kicks it right out of the park. My love for the kemper is so bad I own 3 aarrrggghhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Lion 10.7.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4 Chassis
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Kemper is on another level. I used to be a massive line 6 fan but the kemper kicks it right out of the park. My love for the kemper is so bad I own 3 aarrrggghhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure there is a support group for ya
Asus x99, Intel i7 6800K, 32 gig DDR4, GeForce 750 Ti, HD/Native, HD IOx2, PT11HD, UAD Quad, preamps from Vintech, Five Fish Audio, Miktek, Focusrite, Chameleon Labs and Midas..............................
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works
www.capricornsoundworks.com

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave