Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Default Avid CoreAudio Manager forcing ProTools 12 Upgrade??? Help Please

Hi everyone, so this is my situation: I am on a Mac Pro(late 2013) running the older OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 operating system. I have ProTools 11 HD, and use an HD Native as well as an omni interface. The reason I have not updated my Mac OS is because the Avid CoreAudio that I use is not compatible with the newer OS. I understand there is a new Avid CoreAudio Manager but it says online that it will limit my capabilities if I am not using ProTools 12.

I am a home musician, give me a guitar a piano or a sax and I know what to do, but unfortunately ProTools and gear and different DAW's are not my strong suit. I am even having trouble honestly explaining my situation. lol

Essentially, in order to update my OS to the newest Mac OS would I:

- Need to upgrade to ProTools 12 HD in order to retain full functionality?

- How would this affect me using Ableton Live, Logic Pro X?

- Is it $300 to upgrade from 11 to 12?

I am sorry if I have information missing that you need in order to give me advice, just ask me and I'll tell you anything else you need to know. I just need help from a community of people who are good at dealing with the software side of recording music!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Avid CoreAudio Manager forcing ProTools 12 Upgrade??? Help Please

If you have HD11 it is either $399 if you are on a support plan or if you are not then it is $999 to upgrade into a annual support plan and get HD12

The $299 is for on HD version of PT12 upgrade, NOT HD.

Upgrading will NOT affect Live9 or Logic. We have both Live9 Suite with Push2 and LogicX on the same two nMP 2013 trashcans and jump between HD12 and Live9 Suite everyday.

Remember when hou day latest MacOS, if that is High Sierra it wont be supported and some people have issues with PT12 and High Sierra so stay at Sierra for the time being.

If you stay on yosemite the latest PT 12.8.2 will have lagging and scrolling problems according to many members here so why not stay on HD11 if everything works for now and revisit this when you have done your due diligence and really have the ins and outs figured out.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 PM

Ok so forgive me if this is a simple follow up question, but Avid's program plans confuse me.

In my current position with protools 11 HD

I can buy a plan for $199, and pay $199 a year to have protools work and run on my computer

or

I can pay $999 to have it work forever?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 PM

Those prices you keep quoting are for people who are on an active plan which you are not if you only have PTHD11.

Upgrade from that is $999 and will include a year of updates and major version changes should one fall into your year of updates.

After that year it is $399/year to stay current and active on a plan. If you let it lapse after that year your last version will be available as a perpetul license which works for ever until your computer dies and PT is a robot lightyears ahead of us

Here is a good way to see what costs are to upgrade
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 PM

can i just get on the plan? how much does it cost to get on the plan?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 PM

i like your quote by the way about the eagles and weasels
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cez808 View Post
can i just get on the plan? how much does it cost to get on the plan?
I told you already - $999

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/

Scroll down to the HD section, not the first part as thats for non HD.

Thank you hehe. Weasels are not that bad

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-10-2017, 11:30 PM

lol miss the good old days of owning a program outright...

So if I keep ProTools 11 HD, but upgrade to the new protools12 Avid CoreAudio to be able to upgrade my OS on my Mac, it says it will work on this page but with limited functionality : http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...e-Audio-on-Mac

it says: "the new “Avid Audio Server" way, where Pro Tools treats the HD engine purely as an audio I/O; no DSP plugins, but yes to interoperability with other Core Audio apps"

Can you explain what that limited functionality means?

I greatly appreciate your time!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 PM

We have a recording session starting in 13 minutes as it is soon 9.am here so right now that is too much info to explain here in10 mins but maybe someone else who understands what you are asking can ellaborate.

After 12.6 there is a new license with DigiLink i/o which is needed in order to use HD properly with 12.6 and above and that license is $299 but included if you reinstate for $999 otherwise you will have to buy that license of DigiLink for $299 so all in all the $999 upgrade is your best way forward. If you upgrade you dont haveto think about these questions, just goto Sierra 10.12.6 and PT12.8.1 and start making music

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 AM

Ah but you never actually owned the software in the past, you owned a limited license to use it (got to read those EULAs...). And you still have a perpetual licenses here (at least with the options being described). But you are now paying to receive minor upgrades.

Chris has outlined just about everything but the easy way to deal with this is just pick up the phone and call a sales rep at a trustworthy dealer like Sweetwater or Vintage King and have them help you out. They can explain everything to you, will usually fix any issues if they did get facts wrong, etc.

If you don't really need Digilink interfaces and only have an Omni, now may be the time to cut the connection to Avid hardware and just pick up a USB or Thunderbolt interface, especially of you mostly want to use other DAWS via CoreAudio and just run Pro Tools 12 standard, ... sell your Omni, HD license, etc. get an Apogee Ensemble or UAD Apollo, etc.