Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM

Default using external pre amp on mbox 2

Hi guys, does any one know of a good external mic pre amp i can buy to use with my mbox? i have a behringer mixer as a mic pre and i just cant seem to get the crisp vocals that i want. anyone?
8GB DDR3 system memory
1TB hardrive memory
ATI Radeon HD 4200 intergrated graphics
Pro Tools 9, FL Studio 11 Producer Edition
Mbox pro 3rd Gen, Mbox mini 3rd gen
M-Audio Axiom Pro 49, Novation mini nova, M-Audio AV 40 Monitors, M-Audio BX8a monitors, M-Audio NOVA Condenser MIC, AKG Perception 220 Microphone, Rode NT2a, Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, NI Maschine, Glyph GPT50 3tb
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM

Default Re: using external pre amp on mbox 2

Hello.

What do you mean by crisp ?

Have tried alternatives to your m-audio and akg microphones ?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Re: using external pre amp on mbox 2

If you want transparency you have to focus on your microphone. The signal is the most important thing. I would start there and work backwards. THe P220 is pretty bottom line Ive used the P440 and even that sounds lowsy through the MBox.
I ran the p440 through a pretty decent preamp and still couldnt get the clearity and crispness I was after.
Berhinger is not great great quality partiularly for recording.

It was only until I used the Rode NT 2000 that everything changed. THe reality is you dont need a preamp if you want transparency all you need is just a really good quality mic and a P220 and Nova are not going to get you there. I now use the Rode and no longer require an external preamp to run it through. The only preamps worth investing in are valve preamps but their main function is to drive a hotter signal to produce warmth. Clarity is best achieved by the microphone. Something like a TL can set you back $1700 minimum. They are mainly bought by commercial recording studios and I dont believe will be of any benifit to you.

Plugins are the best alternative for warmth (Reel Tape Saturator). But clarity or crispness must start with the signal itself so you have to buy a better microphone.

My advice is to try some out at the music store. Either take them home or try recording at the store with Mbox. But I guarentee you'll be amazed at the sound of a Rode NT 2000 and it will only set you back a grand. And you could even sell you Berhinger mixer or try to because you wont need it.