Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-04-2003, 03:36 PM

Default PT LE Internal Input Gain?

Is there any way to increase a signal's input gain from within the Pro Tools LE software?

With so many bells and whistles in Pro Tools LE, I can't understand why I'm only allowed to control input gain with the Mbox's external pre-amps???

Does anyone know of a third party plug-in... or ANY way to turn up the input gain from within the computer? Surely Pro Tools isn't using all the available gain by default???

Old 10-04-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Re: PT LE Internal Input Gain?

go to the "setup" menu and select "hardware setup"... its right there
Old 10-04-2003, 06:15 PM

hi, tsd...

I did what you asked but I only found the following controls...

Sample Rate, Sync Mode, Chan 1-2 Input, H/W Buffer Size, and CPU Usage Limit.

At first you might think the Chan. 1-2 Input is what you need, but it only switches from Analog to digital.

Any other ideas?

Old 10-05-2003, 02:13 AM

Well, isn't there this button "more options" or something similar? That'll open up a window with some mixer-like faders...
Old 10-05-2003, 05:40 AM

Not positive about this but; I believe his software is configured for MBox. In which case, there would be no software input faders 3-8 like there is for - 001, 002 & 002R.

dk
-------------------
Dual 1.25GHz FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.2.8
PTLE 6.1.1 - DIGI 001
100GB OWC Firewire (Oxford 911) Audio HD
DigTranslator 2
McDSP Analog Channel
Waves NPP - v4
Old 10-05-2003, 06:30 AM

hey there, DK...

You may be right about my software being configured specifically for the Mbox... because my list above is complete--there are no other options in my hardware setups menu.

I'm running PT LE 5.2.1 in OS 9.

Still, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Digidesign to assume you'll only need the external pre-amp gain. It's always nice to have a couple of gains to manipulate and seek that EXACT sound you want!

Does anyone know of a third party hack that'll get me connected to the Internal Input Gain within Pro Tools???
Old 10-05-2003, 07:02 AM

If you are unable to get sufficient gain to obtain a nominal -15dbfs, then you need to look to your source for more gain, not your M-box. The M-box preamps have more than ample gain for mic, line and instrument inputs. Increasing gain si going to also increase noise. What exactly are you trying to record that is such low gain?

While you can apply the gain plugin, this is going to increase noise floor as well, and result in an undesireably nosiy signal.

Find the reason behind the low level in your signal. If it's an instrument, try using an active DI rather than plugging it directly into the M-box. IF it's an acoustic (mic'd)source that very quiet, try a more sensitive mic with higher output, check the mic and cable for proper operation.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:44 AM

where01290...

I'm new to some of this stuff... so I've got to ask you what an "active DI" is?

I suspect that my mic has an unusually low output... it's a Beyer Dynamic M500 Limited Edition ribbon mic. For this particular mic, the Mbox pre-amp isn't close to adequate. The floor noise is unacceptable. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm game.

I still think it's weird that Pro Tools doesn't have an internal input gain adjustment...

Old 10-05-2003, 09:00 AM

Active DI is a battery powered (usually 9V) Direct Inject or Direct Input. This is used for electric guitars or basses going directly into a mixing console or input with mismatched impedances. An electric guitar can go into a line input on the 002R since you can adjust the level with inputs 1-4. On the MBox, if your signal is not hot enough, an active DI will boost the signal and bring it to the correct impedance level. On a synth, the impedances are already matched so you need to raise the volume on the instrument or go thru an outboard mixer with built-in preamps to boost the level e.g,. mackie 1202VLZ. Or else a simple preamp or stereo preamp.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-05-2003, 09:21 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

Ribbon mics are known for very low output. You're going to need a high-gain external pre to get adequate levels from that mic into your MBox. I don't have an MBox, but I assume there is a -10dBV/+4dBu assignable input besides the 2 preamps - or maybe the preamps are assignable to accept line level via software settings? Of course it may be cheaper to buy another mic, since a pre with high amounts of clean gain is going to be pricey. Not to mention you are going to want a preamp that will accept a ribbon mic and its higher impedence (a pre with impedence switching). You could grab a TLM-103 and still spend less than on a good preamp for a ribbon mic.

Sorry to open that can-o'-worms. But at least you know why the mic won't work through thte MBox pre.

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.