Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-25-2004, 11:30 PM

Default anyone using SATA successfully?

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Sorry if this is a redundant post. I seem to be having many problems with my audio drive (WD 200 gig) its connected via SATA to a abit IC7max3 mobo.I don't know where to begin ,first i was getting hardware buffer errors, now i'm getting "drive not formatted errors" would you like to format drive and Protools was taking forever to load.In the past my computer has worked great with pt's and sometimes not so great. Here are some options i've been thinking about............................................. .............. ditch SATA all together( both my main and audio are connected with SATA)and get a new HD with a ide connector,both my HD's do not have this connection. Doing it this way i would connect main drive to IDE on mobo and maybe get a firewire enclosure for my audio drive and hook it up internally using firewire.......................................... .................................................. .... Or i'm thinking of (more exspensive option) going AMD and get new processor motherboard and kinda start from scratch,hopefully with a little better performance and stability. My system has worked well in the past but i can't deal with the instability problems. Its not worth it and this is why i would consider getting new motherboard and new drive (IDE) for my programs and using firewire for my audio drives. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: anyone using SATA successfully?

My SATA drive works fine. The only problem I had was following the directions on how to partition/format it correctly to work as an audio drive.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:52 PM

mine works perfectly and much faster than IDE
120GB seagate baracuda 8MB cache

just dont bother with RAID, most SATA controllers have some form of RAID
(not to bash RAID some have it running flawlesly, but un needed and can cause headaches)
Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the info. It seems like my computer changed some of its settings. I recently installed 2 gigs of ram and was kind having nightmares.After reading some info in the answerbase and on the forum i noticed that in the show workspace window my audio drive was set to transport.Once i changed it back to record all seems to be working fine.Also i transferred some sessions to my external drive in a "save session copyIn"method.Those were the only 2 things i did different.Weird.Also i was wondering if anyone knows if using SATA do all the IDE controller settings apply ie. setting DMA if availible and transport modes.Thanks again
Old 11-29-2004, 06:52 AM

"mine works perfectly and much faster than IDE"

How do you realize this ?
Can you give some figures, compared to a similar IDE-Drive ?