Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2016, 09:48 AM

Default What to do if iLok Manager fails on install (Mac OS X 10.11.3)

I'm new to the forum, please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Desperately seeking a solution. After an upgrade to El Capitan, I fired up my existing install of PT 10 and it has been working with no issues for a few days. I have Slate plugins as well which have been working as well.

After cloning my new 10.11 system from the external drive where I had built it to my internal drive, everything worked fine as well, at least initially. Yesterday I tried to open PT 10 (with iLok 2 already inserted as usual) and I received an error message and that I need to insert my iLok. After several reboots and reseating of the dongle I still get the same error, so I, of course cannot open PT 10 at all. Based on what I read on the iLok site, I uninstalled License Manager completely and tried to reinstall. I used the latest version, version 3.0. Now what is happening is that the iLok License Manager install is failing.

I tried installing legacy versions of iLok License Manager as well, and they all fail at the same place. I have no idea why the install is failing ( can past an error log if that is helpful). Without it, I am completely unable to access Pro Tools. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

I realize that PT 10 is not shown to be compatible with El Capitan, but it looks like the issue is not related to PT but something with the iLok software.

System:
MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011)
OS X 10.11.3
4GB RAM
iLok 2 (tried versions 3.0 and 2.6)

Last edited by goodsaxx; 03-21-2016 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Default Re: What to do if iLok Manager fails on install (Mac OS X 10.11.3)

Hi,

Look for any ilok and pace preferences to trash! could be anything like com.pace....... or com.ilok...... or just simply ilok or pace etc. once everything is removed, repair disk permission and reboot before trying to re-install the latest ilok manager. see if that helps.

Do you get any error message when the install fails?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 PM

Hi Chris,

I tried the trashing of preferences and clean removal of everything as you stated. I am still getting the error message.
Here is the error log which also contains the text of the install failure message.
Mar 21 17:41:16 users-MacBook installd[424]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Mar 21 17:41:18 users-MacBook installd[424]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory" UserInfo={NSFilePath=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX} {
NSFilePath = "/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX";
}
Mar 21 17:41:19 users-MacBook Installer[1100]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Mar 21 17:41:19 users-MacBook Installer[1100]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Mar 21 17:41:19 users-MacBook Installer[1100]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsaxx View Post
Hi Chris,

I tried the trashing of preferences and clean removal of everything as you stated. I am still getting the error message.
Here is the error log which also contains the text of the install failure message.
Mar 21 17:41:16 users-MacBook installd[424]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Mar 21 17:41:18 users-MacBook installd[424]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory" UserInfo={NSFilePath=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX} {
NSFilePath = "/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX";
}
Mar 21 17:41:19 users-MacBook Installer[1100]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Mar 21 17:41:19 users-MacBook Installer[1100]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Mar 21 17:41:19 users-MacBook Installer[1100]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Hi,

Probably one for ilok support to look at?

Could possibly try running the installer for the latest version of 10.11.3

Running the installer again over the top will just insure all the correct components are installed, then try installing ilok manager again.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Having the same issue!
Mac 10.14.6 Mojave