How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 PM

Default Vol/Pk/Dly Changing Issue

Hi guys.

I'm having this weird problem. Happens sometimes, goes away sometimes, and I have no clue whats fixing it or causing it to come back.

You know the hold down cmd and click the volume in the meter channel on a track in PTs how you do it to change between Volume, Peak and Delay levels ?

Well my ability to do that randomly just goes away, then sometimes I can do it again. And I always know when its not going to work, cause I no longer see "vol" off to the side. All I see is a 0. When it slips into this god awful mode clicking on the numbers while holding command no longer switches them to the next read out.

I attached a snapshot of it when in this mode. Notice "vol" or "pk" or "dly" words are not there. It has some all in one thing where you can see pk to one side and vol setting to the next, but I do not like that and would like the ability to at least flip between them like I used to.

Anyone else having this issue ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pk:Dly:Issue.jpg (71.9 KB, 0 views)
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Vol/Pk/Dly Changing Issue

4 days, no reply ? Anyone ?
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 06-14-2016, 01:16 PM

I think, the headroom indicator to the right of the vol/peak/dly indicator was invented with PT 11.
In the edit window, it will still display vol/peak/dly.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Hi guys.

You know the hold down cmd and click the volume in the meter channel on a track in PTs how you do it to change between Volume, Peak and Delay levels ?

Well my ability to do that randomly just goes away, then sometimes I can do it again. And I always know when its not going to work, cause I no longer see "vol" off to the side. All I see is a 0. When it slips into this god awful mode clicking on the numbers while holding command no longer switches them to the next read out.

Anyone else having this issue ?
Hi! I'm having the same exact issue since a couple days...
I wouldn't call it an issue, I think it's even better this way.

Reading your post made me realize that all the info contained in that little black box below the fader is still available, only in a different format and with two of them available at the same time!
It looks like a "combined" version of the standard visualization with the peak level on the right side and the fader position (in dB) on the left.
Usual "cmd+click" on the left side (and only the left side, over "vol" value) does give you a "0" and I am guessing that's the "dly" value. Just clicking on the peak value resets it, no need to add "cmd" to the click

The funny thing is this is happening to me ONLY WHEN IN MIX WINDOW.
Was it the same for you?
Did you check if the same problem was also occurring when on EDIT window for you?
I am suspecting too fast a combination of keys I pressed and I am trying to find if there's a shortcut for this but so far I had no results while searching.

Do you have updates?

Thanks a lot, G.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Year-old question These days(for Dly), just hit View> Mix Window Shows and check Delay Compensation to add that info to the screen(which I always want showing, so I head off any delay issues)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-22-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Year-old question These days(for Dly), just hit View> Mix Window Shows and check Delay Compensation to add that info to the screen(which I always want showing, so I head off any delay issues)
Sorry but I don't understand how this relates to what Roulette Records and myself were experiencing...???

Last edited by GabrieleP; 01-23-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieleP View Post
Sorry but I don't understand how this relates to what Roulette Records and myself were experiencing...???
I think he meant for just the Delay Compensation reading, you can choose to show it at all times by choosing its optional view in the dropdown menu. And yes he is right.

But yes you are right too saying it doesn't really relate to my old overall problem of not being able to toggle between the Volume, Delay and my most used "Peak" read out thing within the Volume readout box.

And to give a update here, this got fixed for me when I updated next after that post (forget exactly when). Before as we said to toggle through these read out displays you would hold command + click and every time you clicked your volume read out box would change what its read out was from either Volume (default), Delay or Peak. But now since one of the updates, you no longer need to hold command or click or anything. Which I like a lot better.

Basically they did away with being able to toggle through them, and they made Delay the optional viewing boxes at the bottom if you like accessible through the drop down menu as albee stated. Volume is permanently on the left of its readout box and my ever so needed at all times Peak read out is also permanently embedded to the right of the volume readout box. As before, you just click on the Peak read out to reset it.

I believe this is what you were saying, but thinking I thought that was a issue. No, for me, before they did that in a update and you had to command click to get them, when I did it, nothing was ever there except volume. I guess some weird issue I had only, that eventually a update fixed.

I agree, I like this new way better for sure. But this was not what I was experiencing when I said I had a issue.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post

[...]

I agree, I like this new way better for sure. But this was not what I was experiencing when I said I had a issue.
OK, all sorted out I guess... A couple more things if you like:
1) I own my personal ProTools since last June, meaning seven months ago;
2) Mine is version 12.1.7, as I purchased it: never updated;
3) I am almost sure I had from the beginning the usual Vol/Dly/Pk toggling feature available ALSO in the MIX window (it's still there in EDIT) and it changed to the way we described it above only a few days ago;
4) There is a small chance I might be wrong @ point 3) and never realized it's been like that since day one... in that case case, pardon me!

Thanks Roulette Records for exchanging.

Later, G.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieleP View Post
OK, all sorted out I guess... A couple more things if you like:
1) I own my personal ProTools since last June, meaning seven months ago;
2) Mine is version 12.1.7, as I purchased it: never updated;
3) I am almost sure I had from the beginning the usual Vol/Dly/Pk toggling feature available ALSO in the MIX window (it's still there in EDIT) and it changed to the way we described it above only a few days ago;
4) There is a small chance I might be wrong @ point 3) and never realized it's been like that since day one... in that case case, pardon me!

Thanks Roulette Records for exchanging.

Later, G.
Well that is indeed weird. And I will again reiterate I might have had a bug. And I also made a big jump, I believe from wherever I was, all the way to 12.4. I am currently on 12.7.1.

So it might be a combination of a few things that fixed it for me yet causing the oddity with the timeframe of when yours was happening with what version, etc.

Like you said though, its all worked out now. Thank god. And I actually like the new way better as all I really used it for was the Peak read out thing, now that permanently embedded there with no need to toggle.

You know, about the edit window showing it. Honestly, I never use that view. I have 2 screens, using 1 for Edit window, 1 for mix window. And due to that convenience I also like to have as much side to side editing window real estate as possible. So I organize it so my Edit window shows only minimal at all times, and my mix window shows ALL except Mic Preamps and Sends F-J.

Thats the best workflow possibly for me. And so I have to be honest, when I was having the issue, I never even checked if the read out was doing it as normal in the edit window. This is because I could care less if it was. haha. I needed it in the mix window as usual.

Thats said, I just checked, and yes just like you said, in the Edit Window now, currently on mine in 12.7.1 you indeed still have the older toggle way to view them all there.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. I appreciate your input on this. Back to work I must go --
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]