Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 PM

Default PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engine..

Hi all

ProTools Ultimate, HDX-2, in a Mac cheese grater, with no interfaces connected at all, not behaving as expected when I launch ProTools and hold the 'n' key, to launch the playback engine.

The playback engine does not launch (as I want to select 'internal mac' as sound output).... instead I get an error message saying no interfaces detected.

PT 2019.5 in Sierra.

Frustrating as I want to run some basic tests and plugin installs tomorrow, and I dont currently have my Avid HD io interfaces here.

There must be a workaround.

some pref I could trash?

or a different key command?

thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 PM

Default Re: PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engi

TDM systems not worky without interfacy... behaving as expected.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Default Re: PT not behaving as expected when I launch and hold the 'n' key, to launch PB engi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
TDM systems not worky without interfacy... behaving as expected.
Isnt TDM, it is HDX completely different software and hardware.

and it is my understanding that HDX can be run with Mac as OP for sound. with no interfaces connected.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 PM

Actually it is still TDM, aka TDM2 bus architecture... aka DigiLink.

TDM has two meanings, but I meant to say DigiLink.

DigiLinky no interfacy, no worky. Not working as expected.

Happy now?
Old 05-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Actually it is still TDM, aka TDM2 bus architecture... aka DigiLink.

TDM has two meanings, but I meant to say DigiLink.

DigiLinky no interfacy, no worky. Not working as expected.

Happy now?
No. TDM has ONE meaning, in relation to AVID. Time Division Multiplexing.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM

You are also sure you can run HDX without an interface, how is that working for you?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Pro Tools HDX rigs are perfectly capable of starting up without interfaces attached - when the 'n' key is held down at startup you will still get the playback engine dialog and you can choose a CoreAudio or built-in interface. Of course (as I'm sure the OP knows) you won't get to use the HDX cards, and your AAX DSP plugs won't show up, but the system will run perfectly fine as a native "ultimate" rig.

To the OP; are you sure there's not something going on with your keyboard/usb peripherals that's blocking the 'n' key functionality? It does behave as expected here with interfaces disconnected; 2018.12, HDX, Sierra.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 05-17-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Pro Tools HDX rigs are perfectly capable of starting up without interfaces attached - when the 'n' key is held down at startup you will still get the playback engine dialog and you can choose a CoreAudio or built-in interface. Of course (as I'm sure the OP knows) you won't get to use the HDX cards, and your AAX DSP plugs won't show up, but the system will run perfectly fine as a native "ultimate" rig.

To the OP; are you sure there's not something going on with your keyboard/usb peripherals that's blocking the 'n' key functionality? It does behave as expected here with interfaces disconnected; 2018.12, HDX, Sierra.

best,
rich
Thank you Rich.... nice to hear from a professional and also polite person who actually understands the difference between TDM and HDX...

Yeah at first I had a hub in the way, and then realized that sometimes USB active hubs can strip out key commands at weird times...

I did try a different (original apple) keyboard with no hub.... still no joy.

I seem to recall that I can trash a pref that will 'confuse' the rig and then ask me at launch what PB engine to use....

perhaps I trash all prefs, and try that. Ran out of time yesterday.

As always, Rich you are a true professional. and a nice guy.

MixerGuy
Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM

Oh what an idiot am I. I did not read the first post correctly and thought the OP was trying to launch HDX without an interface.

Try holding down the down the N-key continuously. from launching until the playback engine diaolog (or error) appears. Try using an apple direct wired keyboard.

To confirm the N-key is working. Best way would be to have the keyboard viewer utility on the screen and see the key being pressed. (Set that up in Systems Preferences>Keyboard>Show Input menu in Menu Bar) and then open "Show Keyboard Viewer" under the keyboard icon now in the top Menu Bar.

More likely the key is working (or you'd have noticed it elsewhere). And something else is corrupted.

Does other audio, say from iTunes play though the Built-In Output?

Does Audio-MIDI Setup open correctly? Delete all aggregate IO devices.

Trash Pro Tools Prefs and restart (Use Peter Gates PT Prefs, try trash everything).

Create a new admin user and try opening Pro Tools from there.

Shutdown, pop out both HDX boards, try again -- be careful not to dammage the *TDM* flat interconnect cables between those HDX cards

---
Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
I seem to recall that I can trash a pref that will 'confuse' the rig and then ask me at launch what PB engine to use....
Honestly don't know *which* pref file it is, but I'd just use Pete Gates' utility to trash 'em all (there's not that many anymore) - they're in ~/library/preferences/Avid/Pro Tools. Still, it's very strange that the 'n' key isn't working... I'm slightly baffled, but Darryl's suggestion to use the keyboard viewer is a good one.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6