Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2014, 02:57 PM

Default Disk Allocation with Templates

I generally use customTemplates to start new sessions or projects . I prefer to have all the Audio and session BU files in a new project folder for each new project. Is there a way to tell protools 11 to save the audio files in the main project folder that i created when i stat the project ? I now have to go into Disk Allocation and assign the Audio folder path for every new session that i create from a template. Any help would be appreciated !
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Disk Allocation with Templates

Exactly HOW are you using templates? By what you said, it sounds to me like you open the template session and then save it as a new project? If this is your method, then you need to make a change.
Method #1(preferred), open your template session and go to File>Save as Template. Then, for each new project, create a new session using the "Create New Session from Template" option, select your custom template, then save it to your recording drive. When this new session opens, it will(should) have everything you want, AND(more importantly) it is in its own new session folder, and will save all new recorded audio into the proper folder(inside the session folder).
Method #2, create a new blank session and save it to your recording drive. Once it opens(and has nothing in it), use the File.Import>Session Data. Point to the template session and Alt-click(PC, not sure on Mac) and select all the tracks from the template session and hit Okay(your new session will import all the tracks you want, but once again, it will put audio files in their proper place).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-02-2014, 10:44 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to save a custom allocation setting in a session template file and have it generate a folder along with the audio files folder to separate mixes printed verses audio files in the session? So If I wanted to use a template for a post mix and have my print tracks record to custom folders that the template session created along with the audio files folder.

Could be a huge time saver.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 PM

no, it's not in Pro Tools mind set to record to separate folder by default
you will have to do it manually

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 AM

Hello, I am also interested in this solution.

I just bought 3 new disk's that I want to run in RAID 5-mode, but that's not possible because my motherboard is just supporting SATA2 so I can't run the disk with TRIM in RAID. So I will have to connect the disks as single disks and manually split the files.

So there is no way to get the template to read disc allocations?
Let's say that I create a project C:\MySong\Audiofiles then some of the files should be able to be splitted and folders be created to the other choices I've made like D:\MySong\Audiofiles and E:\MySong\Audiofiles automatically.

Is there another way for me to split files in an easy way?
I am not recording so much, I am using for example Pro Tools plug-ins, Melodyne, Steven Slate Drums and audio samples from an external drive and usually only recording some Vocals. My thought would be to install SSD samples onto one of the drives, and split the audiosamples between disk 2 and 3. What is the easiest way to do that, when I'm not recording or assigning a single sample to a dedicated channel?

You should look at a solution regarding this problem, as far as I know there are more people out there looking for a solution, and I guess that wouldn't be very hard to implement in code.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 PM

Issue #1-never create a session on C:. That is your system drive and should not have sessions on it under normal circumstances.

Issue #2-splitting audio across multiple drives is IMHO a really bad idea. In the old days with IDE and SCSI drives, a big session might hit a bottleneck, but today's SATA drives and SSD's are blazing fast so "Round Robin" recording is not needed(Round Robin referring to every other track going to a second drive). Now I admit, I am no expert on RAID, but probably someone will jump in on this with more advice. Maybe a different RAID option is better suited to recording For me, I would simply keep my session audio on a single drive, and upon closing the session(or the day's work), copy the session folder to a second drive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave