Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 PM

Default PRE control has variable functionality within ProTools

We've got several Focusrite Rednet boxes and controllable pres throughout our facility and are having mixed results in how well the 'control' functions work.

More than anything else, I'm looking for other users who may be doing this with positive results and, maybe, you could confirm your setting with me?

We're running 2018.3 HD Native with an HD IO on port 1 of the Native card, and a Focusrite Red 4Pre (with Digilink cable) on port 2 of the native card. Since the Red 4Pre also has built-in dante, we've mapped those channels to talk to multiple Focusrite MP8R 8-channel pres.

Audio from the pres, as well as control using Focusrite's app, is NOT a problem... all works well. The issue is setting up the mic pre to be controlled within ProTools.

The setup is identical to Avid's older PREs, and we've got it to work most of the time. When it doesn't, we restart ProTools and everything is happy... sort of.

I'm just looking for some insight and found tricks that others have gone through... I know there are others out there doing the same. Would just like some input if you've got it.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Default Re: PRE control has variable functionality within ProTools

What happens if you remove and then reassign the pre channels in the peripherals and/or the I/O setup instead of restarting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-22-2018, 10:18 AM

Reassigned everything and restarted. It worked, then I unselected and reselected as you suggested WITHOUT restarting... nothing worked.

BTW, the RedNet app does need to be open for it to work, regardless.

We still have a communication issue with Ch 8 of the MP8, regardless of which PT system talks to it, so I'm thinking there's an issue with the Focusrite.

Thanks for the help... anything else?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:52 AM

We have several MP8R's at the facility I work in. When when I open up a session in Pro Tools, I've noticed that if I try to adjust anything with the premps within pro tools before pro tools and the MP8R's handshake (a series of relays can be heard clicking within the units), pro tools doesn't like to communicate well with them.

We've also suspected that the preamp levels occasionally aren't being correctly saved or recalled with a session, which can be annoying.

We're running Pro Tools HD Native v12.8.2 and rednet control v2.0.1. What versions are you running? I just checked there's a new version I'll have to try, under the bug fixes:

"MIDI
-Improved MIDI message rate to prevent communication delays between controller and device.
-Control over Channel 8 of RedNet 4 and RedNet MP8R has now been restored."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Reassigned everything and restarted. It worked, then I unselected and reselected as you suggested WITHOUT restarting... nothing worked.

BTW, the RedNet app does need to be open for it to work, regardless.

We still have a communication issue with Ch 8 of the MP8, regardless of which PT system talks to it, so I'm thinking there's an issue with the Focusrite.

Thanks for the help... anything else?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Haven't been here in a while, but Focusrite recently updated RedNet Control to v2.2.1 (mentioned in the above post) which solved some of our issues. We're much happier now!