Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Who is scoring big symphonic cues in PT?

anyone?
i know the VEpro thing...
but is anyone doing just in PT?
with LASS or EWQLSO etc

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Who is scoring big symphonic cues in PT?

nobody does
I guess Ill get ableton... as I dont like Logic

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
nobody does
I guess Ill get ableton... as I dont like Logic
Albeton Live is perfect for big symphonic cues :)

For big cues DP is probably still the most used mainly because the composers that are getting the "big" cues are the same composers over the last 10 years or so - many of them started with DP.

You will absolutely find composers who can make symphonic cues with Logic or Pro Tools but both o f these apps seems to be mainly for song writing IMHO.

With that said take a look at the avid site and you'll find a nice video about how PT was used for some cues in avatar.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 AM

I do quite a bit of work with programmed strings using LA Scoring Strings. My sessions definitely aren't up to the size of someone who might be scoring a movie, but they're big enough that I use FAR more RAM than Pro Tools can handle.

Pro Tools is my main DAW and yes, the 32-bit RAM limit sucks, but Kontakt 4 has a cool feature called Memory Server than allows Kontakt to go outside of Pro Tools and use far beyond the 2.7GB limit that is available. I am able to load dozens of instances of LA Scoring and Pro Tools runs fairly well. I get the annoying CPU Overload message very occasionally, but as far as RAM warnings - those never occur.

It is possible to handle large string scoring sessions with Pro Tools, you just have to use the right software. Kontakt makes that an easy task.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Slave systems and VEPro here - LASS, EW, ProjectSam, VSL, Omnisphere, etc, etc.

PT's RTAS-VI performance isn't there yet to run a lot of VI's within PT. Regardless, I personally don't like the idea of loading down my DAW with tons of VIs internally, and waiting for loads/unloads with every cue/session change, so it isn't an issue for me.

Much easier to load up VEPro outside PT (and/or on slaves) and leave everything running, always accessible. However, I'm scoring from large template sessions that access most everything I need from score to score, so my slaves/VEPro stay up for days or weeks at a time. If you don't and want to load up a few instruments from different libraries, the concept may not appeal to you.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM

thanks
I use the kontact memory server. which seems from the VIcontrol forum works well for most.
So that alone puts me in the LASS camp and not hollywood strings.
The vids by Daniel xx show the HS load times even on non PT sessions
and I want to love it but.. Im not into being that much of a slave to it

I guess just getting VEpro would free me up to do whatever and leave it loaded..a very cool program for sure. One that everyone seems to like

testing VI libs is certainly not as easy as a compressor, so more research and comments are really helpful.
so It looks like Komplete, LASS, and eventually VEpro is on the plate.

Im happy to not have a big commitment to a $$ Orch lib yet... perhaps play3 will work better