Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-18-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Tips for mixing down for commercial tv

Hey, can anyone give me a few finer details in terms of master levels, preferred compression levels, frequencies to pay special attention to as well as frequencies I can disregard (Ive heard 15K and up can be cut- is this correct?)
Some pro advice would be great guys
mike
Old 11-18-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Tips for mixing down for commercial tv

Welcome! You may not know that this subject has been covered repeated here, and once or twice very recently. May I suggest that you go to the search page (linked above) and search specifically this forum? Use keywords like broadcast or levels, or calibrate. You can limit your search to the last 3 or 4 months and find a lot of posts about this. Also, you may want to read and comprehend the very long sticky post Updated Room Calibration for TV and Post (near the top of these thread listings). If those do not answer your initial questions, then do not hesitate to ask more specific questions!

15K can be safely cut for broadcast (stereo FM and television sound is usually cut before transmission to give room for the stereo multiplex signal), but why bother? Unless you are pumping 17K tones into your mix (or using insane sythesizer patches) there will be very little benefit, if any. Good broadcast mixing is best attained by proper mixing and shaping of individual elements, not pop-music style mastering techniques where everything is louder than everything else.

Happy reading!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Tips for mixing down for commercial tv

Thanks for the welcome Richard! I will do just as you have suggested- still finding my feet around this forum.
Mike