Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Maybe they could implement track folders more-or-less via the group thingy. Like some mod key combo-click on the group and the tracks collapse into the first track. Just a thought. My guess as to the long wait is Avid doesn't like to bring in features from other DAWs unless they can do it in their own special way.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM

I don't know how they are implemented in other DAWs, but in Reaper, a folder track is along the lines of a submix or buss track that can be closed to display as a single track, or opened to display all tracks individually. You take a group of tracks and put them into the folder. It's very useful for display purposes, because with a single click you can open and close the folder to display and work on all of the tracks inside, or close it when you don't want your screen cluttered up. Think of a drum buss that displays when you want to see all of the tracks inside, and opens or closes with a click. You can also use it like a buss and put FX and/or automation on the folder as a whole, or put them on the individual tracks.

If you have a project with a lot of tracks, it's a godsend. You can keep everything organized and in front of you without having to constantly scroll. For example, I create a folder for drums, another for backing vocals, sometimes one for guitars, or keyboards. When I have a good drum mix, I close the folder, and my drums only take up one track visually. Same with backing vocals, etc. I can imagine this would be incredibly useful for Post work when you have dozens of tracks. I find myself wondering how I ever worked without folder tracks.

In Reaper, the folder can be opened and closed separately in the editor and the mixer, if desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
What are folder tracks?

Last edited by deanrichard; 01-31-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
I'm a bit surprised about all this disappointment about the lacking of folders.

I'm new to PT and I come from Logic, S1 and Reaper all DAW that have folders. I mean they are cool, but if I say that I miss them when I think I have the marker the way they are in PT, I can only smile to the lacking of them. Markers in PT are heaven to me and there is not even a slight comparison with the daw I mentioned not even summing all the features that try to emulate it.

There is much less to laugh about ARA, that's the deal. That's the disappointment, at least for me.

Cubase allows several rules and several marker tracks (but you have to rename them in a window, which is less good). Markers can be moved in groups. In PT, no. To move more than 1 marker, you have to copy and paste as you did in 1988...

PC Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v2 8 cores
3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

Prism sound Atlas and 2 Focal Solo Be + Sub

www.claudemarcbourget.com
www.metis-islands.com
Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miul68 View Post
Ara is not just transferring instantaneously data (which in this brilliant trick it's not). But it's way more; copying, moving regions with data inside listning what you are looking...this is not Ara is a joke.

+1. In addition, this trick does not allow quick adjustments, readjustments here and there, as we often do when listening.

3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

www.metis-islands.com
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
+1. In addition, this trick does not allow quick adjustments, readjustments here and there, as we often do when listening.
Yeah I rarely use Pro Tools for music because it's simply not as intuitive as other daws. I have Logic Pro X which does many of the things Pro Tools doesnt for a fixed low price, no hustle. Still wish Samplitude would have made it to Mac..
Old 01-31-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
What about the 32 track record count limit when using non hd hardware? This is one upgrade I really want out of PT 2019. All other DAWs can record over 32 tracks. I use Waves tracks live which is free when I have shows over 32 tracks, but I paid for Pro Tools Ultimate and would rather be able to use it. I don't want to have to lug around 3 HD ios or buy a fully loaded Matrix when I can do it over dante to a laptop with waves. I want to be able to record as many tracks as my computer can handle with whatever hardware I am using. The 32 track limit needs to go! Why not add that to the packs, which would suck, but better than not having it at all. Call it "Record Pack". Rent or buy it. Avid could actually make some extra cash from regular customers not just the big post houses that need over 1000 voices / tracks and make it an add on to regular Pro Tools and Ultimate.
Abolutely !!! At least in the "Ultimate" version they could offer more than 32 tracks. This is ridiculous. I pay thousands of Euro and then go and use Logic, Waves Tracks Live or Reaper for live recording...

Come on ProTools.... !!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM

Just a view from the 'other side'.

I'm the head of audio post production of a large company. We don't mix blockbuster theatrical movies, but we do mix larger post projects, also in Dolby Atmos.
We ran into the voices limit on our HDX2 Atmos system on a recent project. And all other systems being HDX1 or HDNative couldn't even open the session. For us being able to open every session in every studio is very important. We have to switch studios all the time and need to be able to make changes on an instant notice.
So for us the upgraded voices are a big deal.
And I am not the least interested in anything melodyne or VST or midi or folder tracks at all. I could use multiple marker tracks and bins though. And better stability.

Just my 2 cents.
There are different worlds with different needs. And the price of the DAWs is not a big issue here if you see the elephant in the room regarding costs: The salaries you have to pay experienced and capable engineers.

And maybe you can understand that the priorities of post houses get listened to if you consider that we are the ones shelling out the big bucks for S640s.
After all, Avid is in this to make money. As are we.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
What about the 32 track record count limit when using non hd hardware? This is one upgrade I really want out of PT 2019. All other DAWs can record over 32 tracks. I use Waves tracks live which is free when I have shows over 32 tracks, but I paid for Pro Tools Ultimate and would rather be able to use it. I don't want to have to lug around 3 HD ios or buy a fully loaded Matrix when I can do it over dante to a laptop with waves. I want to be able to record as many tracks as my computer can handle with whatever hardware I am using. The 32 track limit needs to go! Why not add that to the packs, which would suck, but better than not having it at all. Call it "Record Pack". Rent or buy it. Avid could actually make some extra cash from regular customers not just the big post houses that need over 1000 voices / tracks and make it an add on to regular Pro Tools and Ultimate.

You mean 32 tracks at 192 kH. At 96, it's double, 64 tracks. I am wrong ?

3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

www.metis-islands.com
Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
You mean 32 tracks at 192 kH. At 96, it's double, 64 tracks. I am wrong ?
you're wrong. He talks about In/Outs limit, not tracks.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
you're wrong. He talks about In/Outs limit, not tracks.

Ok. Thanks. Astonishing, this limitation...

3.33 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

www.metis-islands.com