Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2020, 10:09 PM

Default Dual Screen Issues

I'm sure this is some setting I've missed. I use two screens, one showing edit window other showing mixer. When I open a session previously saved in this configuration, both windows appear on one screen, one behind the other. It's simple to then drag one to the other screen but this arrangement is not saved. I've tried auto update config, and I think just about everything else with no success.
On my previous system the template I started most projects from didn't have this issue. All projects would open on both screens. Projects from this old system do open on both screens, just not new ones. This leads me to think it's a project setting somewhere. Any guidance would be helpful, it's a small issue but I'd like to resolve it.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2020, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Dual Screen Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovephil View Post
I'm sure this is some setting I've missed. I use two screens, one showing edit window other showing mixer. When I open a session previously saved in this configuration, both windows appear on one screen, one behind the other. It's simple to then drag one to the other screen but this arrangement is not saved. I've tried auto update config, and I think just about everything else with no success.
On my previous system the template I started most projects from didn't have this issue. All projects would open on both screens. Projects from this old system do open on both screens, just not new ones. This leads me to think it's a project setting somewhere. Any guidance would be helpful, it's a small issue but I'd like to resolve it.
Thanks
Hi,

Mac or PC? What computer and what OS?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:29 AM

With PT running but no session open, have you dragged the grey desktop across both screens? Then place your Edit and Mix pages where you want them.
I have three screens with the desktop across all three. PT always remembers the layout.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-03-2020, 06:31 AM

If you’re on a PC (you didn’t say, so we have to guess), get the windows where you want them, then hit alt-f4. It’ll save the session and the window positions, and close the session. When you open it back up, everything SHOULD be right where you left it.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 AM

His public profile (one small click away) says he's on a Mac running Catalina.

Same here, and the sessions I've created on my MBPro with one external monitor do seem to remember their assigned display positions... I don't "maximize" either window but manually size them close to full screen. And I only launch (and quit) PT with the 2nd monitor attached and running. Somehow my prefs seem to stick...
Old 10-04-2020, 04:13 AM

My system details - Mac mini, Catalina, PT2020.09.1 I assumed this would footnote automatically.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovephil View Post
My system details - Mac mini, Catalina, PT2020.09.1 I assumed this would footnote automatically.
It won't show in a post unless you create a sig file from your profile page. Some people put their system info there or you can put a line in your sig file pointing to your profile page like I did.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2020, 06:25 PM

Thanks
Old 10-04-2020, 10:12 PM

I have this issue unless I option-click full screen to max out the mixer window size (not full screen) after I've dragged the mixer to my second monitor. If I just drag it and place it without option-clicking PT will open it and the edit window on my first monitor every time I open the session.

Hope that makes sense and helps. I'm on Mojave.

Last edited by tclash; 10-04-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
I don't "maximize" either window but manually size them close to full screen. And I only launch (and quit) PT with the 2nd monitor attached and running. Somehow my prefs seem to stick...
Yes, for me with 3 screens (one for plugin windows), with the edit window on the right and the mix on the left, as long as I don't size the mix window all the way full screen, the windows will stay as is when the session is reopened. My wallpaper on that monitor is black around the edges so I'm not so annoyed that I can see it beyond the edges of the mix window.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7