Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Many issues with midi edit

Hi,

I encounter many issues when working within the midi editor.

- GUI is freezing when I want to trim a note if I have automation on the track (just one piano track in the session with sustain (cc64) informations, I can't imagine the behavior with a full orchestral template !!). I had this issue by the past but it seems to me it was corrected in previous version.

- When I click on a note, I can hear a click sound before the note is playing, especially with samples below 512.

- On previous version, in the track list view in the midi editor, when I ALT clicked on the black point to the left of a track name, all the track selected where deselected, now it deselects only the track I click on. Very annoying when you work with an orchestral template with a lot of midi track..

Any advice / workaround will be appreciated !

I am on Windows 10 with a 3900x 64 Gb Ram on PT 2020.9.1 Vanilla.

EDIT 1 : For the note trim issue, it seems to freeze when the automation (cc64 in my case) is visible in edit. If I hide the culprit automation (with minus icon) I can trim the note flawlessly. It is just very annoying to deal with PT bugs...
Old 11-04-2020, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Many issues with midi edit

Hi, Have you done all the troubleshooting and optimization steps listed here:

Help Us Help You

Also, what kind of graphics card are you using?

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-04-2020, 10:54 PM

If I had to guess this sounds like either you don’t have enough ram or your single thread performance isn’t good enough (which I really doubt is the case). I would guess the former is far more likely than the latter.
I edit midi on a regular basis in PT like you and I don’t have the issue you describe when clicking on notes to edit them. Even in multiple piano roll tracks at a time. So I don’t believe ProTools is to blame here directly.
As far as deselecting the track, I suspect earlier versions? as you describe you had command focus or something similar setup to follow the focused screen which mean you only at to alt click the track to do the full keyboard shortcut which would be Shift + alt if I’m not mistake to do to all selected. And that should do the behavior you expect (I suspect).
Are you running your VIs in VEPro?
Old 11-05-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisalied View Post
GUI is freezing when I want to trim a note if I have automation on the track
All versions for the past couple years have had this issue for me. It's not exactly freezing. Just very slow response. I find that if I carefully click in the right spot with the trim tool, for instance, and then just wait several seconds, it will do the trim at the correct location. Quite annoying. I hadn't thought to try hiding the automation lanes. Thanks for that suggestion.

The idea that it's too little RAM is suspect for me, because MIDI editing did not display this prior to PT12.x, even on a machine with only 8 GB RAM. They broke something. Maybe the bug doesn't manifest for people who have 32 GB, but it's still a bug if it's not doing what it should.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Thank you all for replying,

Quote:
Hi, Have you done all the troubleshooting and optimization steps listed here:
I am familiar with PT optimizations, trashing pref and so on. I try to set PT' affinity to one core (I have seen a tuto on this forum in the past) but it doesn't change anything. My graphic card is a 970 GTX with updated drivers (like all drivers on my computer). And with 64 Gb of RAM, I guess I am relatively safe to work on only one instrument track.

I check latencyMon to see if i would have an issue but latency is perfectly low.

Quote:
Are you running your VIs in VEPro?
Yes I am but in this particular project it was only one instrument track with a cfx garritan piano aax directly in insert. The slow response on trimming a note is the same with another piano VI or when removing any VI on the track. I tried to import session data within a new session, different resolution or sample rate with the same issue.

Quote:
which would be Shift + alt if I’m not mistake to do to all selected
Yes it does to select all tracks, but to unselect all tracks, they have to be selected prior the command shortcut to work. In previous versions, shift+alt click unselected all the tracks even if they were not selected. It was more convenient to flush the screen and select a group of instruments you wanted to display and work on, or to check doubling. It's certainly not a bug but an improvement, but not for my workflow.

For the click sound I think I found the culprit, my UR22 soundcard which seems a little tired.. No pb at 64 samples with asio4all or a scarlett.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisalied View Post
I try to set PT' affinity to one core (I have seen a tuto on this forum in the past) but it doesn't change anything.
This does not make sense. You would not set affinity to *one* core. You would normally set affinity to all cores except 0 and 1. Did you set processor priority before doing this? I suspect this all may be a red herring. These CPU optimizations really help with AAE CPU errors, they would not be near the top of my list for suspected issues here. If you are not really sure what you are doing I would undo those priority and affinity changes or post here exactly what you are doing, and a Sandra report.

Being familiar with trashing prefs is great, but what exactly have you actually done? What esle have you actually done? Have you tried moving all plugins out of the plugin folder and say only putting back Mini Grand and testing with that?

Some of these issues might be playback engine related. You give no information what you are using there. What exact interface and driver version?

If it was working fine before why not roll back to a working backup or reinstall that version of Pro Tools?
Old 11-09-2020, 11:09 AM

I tried different kind of "optimizations" to see if there would be an impact on this issue (the trim note thing and sluggish response of the gui), it is in my abilities to revert back what I do on my comptuter

Moving all plugins out the folder or leaving insert blank on the instrument track have no effects.

Try changing disk cache has no effect (I am on 1To SSD, project store on a different SSD where PT is installed).

Try on two different gigs (desktop and laptop).

Try on PT 2020.9.1 or 2020.5 the same. I don't want to check all the previous versions of PT to see where the issue has disappeared.

Try with 3 different sound card (quad capture ver 1.5.2, UR22 Mk II ver 2.0.3, Scarlett 8i6 4.65.5 and asio4all)

I suspect automation with high density to result this behaviour. If I delete automation (cc1 or cc64 in my case, those I use frequently) or hide automation view, there is no sluggish behaviour. When trimming a note in this case results in high CPU usage in one core. Try reducing automation (Ctrl+Alt+T) do nothing too.