Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-05-2001, 08:36 AM

Default Kensington trackball stopped working - help!

Hello,

I recently installed my new Kensington Turbo Mouse trackball and it was working fine. I assigned various specific custom functions to the four buttons and it was working beautifully with PTLE.

After the fact, I had unchecked some extensions with the intention of trying to get rid of some PTLE errors. After I unchecked the extensions, the trackball stopped working, but then I rechecked the extensions and the trackball then worked again fine.

Anyhow, after that I installed the Mac iTunes cd burner program from the OS 9.2.1 disk so that I would be able to burn cdrs on my Superdrive. The iTunes program installed fine and works great.

Today I went into PTLE, opened a session, and started running it. The trackball's ball itself works... move the ball and the cursor moves.... so it is working. BUT, the custom button functions do not work. The buttons work, if I click a button, there is a resonse on the screen, but it is not the correct custom response as I had programmed it. I went back into the Kensington trackball set-up program to check on things, and everything looks fine.

I then went back to my extensions folder to take a look, and a message came up that said "MISSING EXTENSION: Installer Cleanup Extension - - INIT dvis"

So... perhaps the absence of this extension is the reason my trackball button functions do not work? Also, why did this extension disappear? Where did it go? How can I get it back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought this Mac and 001 to record music, but instead all I do everyday is troubleshoot and try to fix this whole system... if it's not a PTLE error, it's a bad drive, or a non-working trackball, or something else. I wonder if I will ever get this rig running so that I can just record music. Gee.

-imp
Old 10-05-2001, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Kensington trackball stopped working - help!

Version compatibility may an issue. At this point, my system has been the most rock solid with OS 9.1 and PT 5.1.1, along with the latest Mouseworks driver of course. If your system is still new, you might want to give Apple a call and see what they suggest.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by imp:
I bought this Mac and 001 to record music, but instead all I do everyday is troubleshoot and try to fix this whole system... if it's not a PTLE error, it's a bad drive, or a non-working trackball, or something else. I wonder if I will ever get this rig running so that I can just record music.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the exception of a lucky few - we've all been there. Don't just start clicking on extentions without knowing what they do either. Try using this guide to help figure them out.
http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3

If you veer to far off course when troubleshooting, sometimes and it's easier *and often more effective* to just start over with a clean install of everything.

Good luck
Old 10-05-2001, 09:46 AM

One other thing - I had forgot about this.

I have had problems with the Trackball preferences getting corrupted and restoring back to the default setting - this is only if I create a separate setting file for ProTools. But if I set my ProTools settings in the "All Other Programs", everything works just fine.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:36 PM

Hi bassmac,

Many thanks for the helpful info!

Is there a place that lists exactly what extensions are necessary for the 001, and which extensions can be unchecked?

I went to the Logic page that defined most of the extensions. I then disabled everything that seemed to not be needed for Pro Tools... I use no internet or printers, etc, so I killed all that stuff, and alot of other stuff as well. However, when I went to start Pro Tools, it would not open... I had apparently unchecked too many extensions. I think the culprit was the "Open-something?" set of extensions... so I went back and checked them, and then everything worked fine.

But, it would be neat to see a definitive list of only the absolute necessary extensions needed for Pro Tools so that guess work is eliminated.

Thanks again for all the info. The trackaball is working great now... a very worthwhile investment!

-imp
Old 10-05-2001, 09:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by imp:
...-it would be neat to see a definitive list of only the absolute necessary extensions needed for Pro Tools so that guess work is eliminated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before viewing, realize that this a OS 8.6 set.

Just to remind you, I 'll say it again.

This is a Mac OS 8.6 set

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Control Panels
----------------------------------------------
Appearance
Apple Menu Options
Digidesign®
General Controls
Macintosh Easy Open
Memory
Monitors & Sound
OMS Preferred Device
QuickTime™ Settings
Startup Disk
TCP/IP
Text

Extensions
------------------------------------------------------------------
Apple CD/DVD Driver
AppleScript
AppleScriptLib
Digidesign® Direct I/O
Digidesign® DSP Manager
Digidesign® StreamManager
DigiSystem™ INIT
Foreign File Access
Network Setup Extension
Open Music System
Open Tpt AppleTalk Library
Open Tpt Internet Library
Open Transport Library
OpenTptAppleTalkLib
OpenTptInternetLib
OpenTransportLib
QuickTime™
QuickTime™ MPEG Extension
QuickTime™ Musical Instruments
QuickTime™ PowerPlug
QuickTime™ VR
Serial (Built-in)
Shared Library Manager
Shared Library Manager PPC
SOMobjects™
Sound Manager
SoundSprocketLib
UDF Volume Access[/list]
Addendum:, BTW, I'm pretty sure that you could probably get by without the following:

Control PanelsAppearence
Apple Menu Options
General Controls
Macintosh Easy Open(***)
Memory (2)
Startup Disk(***)

ExtensionsApple CD/DVD Driver(***)
Foreign File Access(***)
SoundSprocketLib(***)
UDF Volume Access(***)

The reason that I have these "***"-ed, is because you really don't have to have these extensions, BUT if you have to use any sort of linux/windows, etc... type-files, (or a plain redbook audio CD for that matter) well, you'd be screwed if you didn't.

The sound sprocket library I leave in, just in case a band's out to lunch, no-shows, etc, etc...so that I can play some Diablo, Star Craft etc....

2- Now, the only reason that I have the Memory control panel on, is so that I can turn of the RAM Disk. Sugarite has a post in the LE archive about how to run PT's off of a RAM Disk, and even though it's a great idea, I've never tried it, however, one really neattrick I've learned, is using the RAM Disk as your browsers' cache folder for a couple of good reasons:
1-you don't waste disk space. I'm not a internet exploder fan, so I won't even go there [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but I know for a fact that Netscapes' Cache folder lies in your Preferences inside the System Folder. Think about that if you someday do a get info on the system drive, and you're absolutely certain that you have more space (albeit 1-16MB's worth).

2-screen redraws are lightning quick when hopping back and forth on a site (say like the digi compato docs)

Good Luck with your Trackball.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:53 AM

Thanks! I will check it out and review my extensions.

Side note... as in my last post above, it was the Open Transport extensions that needed to be there to run Pro Tools. Or at least one of them. I had unchecked all the Open Transport extensions originally, and then Pro Tools would not open. According to the Logic page, the Open Transport extensions have something to do with networking (and I am not networking) so I had unchecked them. By the way, this is in OS 9.2.1.

Hey, Logic has that nice list and description of extensions for their users... where is Digi's version?

Thanks! -imp