Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Using Media Composer to make PT/Mojo MXFs

I now have Media Composer and thought I could finally convert QuickTimes to MXF video files that Pro Tools can play thru a Mojo.

I want to use .mxf files instead of QuickTimes because I want to use the Avid Engine, avoiding the Quicktime slop and offsets.

I have imported QuickTimes into Media Composer and tried exporting them using various different codecs. Nothing I do seems to create a useable MXF file. I expected to see a drop-down list that included something like "MXF DV-25".

In fact the only way I can make an MXF is by exporting as AAF and choosing "Transcode Video To"... My choices are 1:1 MXF or 1:1p 10b MXF. One problem, other than these formats probably being uncompressed, is that the settings of the Clip/Sequence/Project remain in tact. So if it's HD 23.98, I can't make it SD 29.97.

You'd think you could make the Avid file you need on an Avid. Anyone here have this figured out?

Thanks,
Curt
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Using Media Composer to make PT/Mojo MXFs

do MXF1:1 if it's a DV movie, it will still be DV25. That's just a wrapper. Export an AAF.

Import the video track only.

Easy peasy.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks, I'm certain I've tried that... will try again.

How do I convert to SD though? For example, the original QT was HD H264, and when imported into Media Composer it converted it to (the default) DNxHD 115 MXF. All the import options seem to convert to HD-only.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot here... just getting started.

A correction to my first post - besides the 1:1 MXFs I mentioned, I can also choose a bunch of versions of DNxHD MXF, AVC-Intra MXF, and HDCAM EX and HDCAM HD.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 AM

We do this all the time.

Make a project in Media Composer with the appropriate frame rate and resolution.

The go to the default bin. Go File import (navigate to the QT file) then change the settings for drive and MXF resolution.(i.e DV420 etc) Works for us perfectly.

We get a slightly better picture quality as we are using the SDI input on our Adrenalines instead of the composite on the mojo. The MXF files will be located in your Avid Mediafiles>1 folder on your drive

Taff

www.bangpostproduction.com
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Make a project in Media Composer with the appropriate frame rate and resolution.
That's the key point. If you want an SD capture/import, set your project for SD. BTW, you can almost always change an existing project's format between HD and SD. One of the tabs along the top of the project bin.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 AM

That makes sense. It seemed like I had no choice but to create new projects as HD.

Thanks guys, I'll try that.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM

Just a follow-up for anyone who has the same question.

There is no option to create an SD project as NTSC 29.97. Apparently, for a reason I can't understand, you select NTSC 30i.

After that, it's all pretty easy. I imported an HD H264, which automatically converted it to the default, DV25 MXF 29.97.

From there, you can just Control-Click on the file in the bin and Reveal File (in the finder), find the biggest MXF (smaller MXF files are also created) and use that, since it's already in the format you need for PT/Mojo.

Alternatively, you can Control-Click (right click) and use one of the templates, using "Send To...", select ProTools > Avid Video - Consolidate Audio, and make sure the format is AAF. If you just need the video, dig through the resulting folder, find the .mxf file and use it.

Method one, as Taff suggested, is faster.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCash View Post
Just a follow-up for anyone who has the same question.

There is no option to create an SD project as NTSC 29.97. Apparently, for a reason I can't understand, you select NTSC 30i.

After that, it's all pretty easy. I imported an HD H264, which automatically converted it to the default, DV25 MXF 29.97.

From there, you can just Control-Click on the file in the bin and Reveal File (in the finder), find the biggest MXF (smaller MXF files are also created) and use that, since it's already in the format you need for PT/Mojo.

Alternatively, you can Control-Click (right click) and use one of the templates, using "Send To...", select ProTools > Avid Video - Consolidate Audio, and make sure the format is AAF. If you just need the video, dig through the resulting folder, find the .mxf file and use it.

Method one, as Taff suggested, is faster.
30i is 29.97 in the Avid world
Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM

It does say "NTSC".