How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-07-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Audio IO problem using Focusrite 212

I have opened a project using focusrite 212 with Windows 10
I successfully recording a drum track, rhythm and lead guitars with Input 1
but when recording Audio with a mic connected to Input 2 it will only record as a stereo track on one side, showing the IO as "Input 1-2" When checking "Setup" the drop down menu is showing Input as "Stereo Input 1-2", it is greyed out and so cannot be changed to mono.
Is there something I'm missing, is it some kind of bug or is the Audio always set to stereo on these Pro Tools pre set projects? Needless to say I am totally new to Pro tools/Focusrite.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Audio IO problem using Focusrite 212

Hi, welcome to DUC.

You mean a 2i2 interface.

You likely have just created a stereo audio track. You need to be recording to a mono audio track.

If that does not work. Go to Setup>IO>Input and delete (select with mouse click "delete" or use the delete key) all the paths there and then click the default button.

Just trying to leap in a hoping you can work out Pro Tools rarely goes well. You are much better off starting by following along many of the great tutorials on YouTube or other sites, try to find one similar to what you want to do, using a close version of Pro Tools, and actually work though the whole tutorial.

Still stuck then explain exactly what version of Pro Tools you have.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Thanks Darryl, you're quite right and I have been using YouTube and various tutorials to navigate Pro Tools but it's a lot to get through and the simplest of things aren't obvious to see.
It appears that when creating a project using the Templates provided ie "Rock", "Blues" etc
The Audio tracks are "Stereo" by default. I have created a "Mono Audio Track" and deleted the "Stereo Track" from my project and everything is fine.
I am puzzled as to why Pro Tools creates Stereo Tracks to the templates, as surely most people will record voice tracks in Mono not Stereo? which requires two inputs/mics surely....or perhaps you will correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway, Thanks again Darryl, I'm very grateful for you're advice.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:06 PM

What exact version of Pro Tools are you using?

I just created a session from the Blues template in Pro Tools standard 2019.6, that session has multiple mono audio tracks and only one stereo audio track, which seems the right number to help people understand that stereo audio is a possibility, but mostly folks should/will be using mono tracks. And in the Edit windows this is all explained with useful comments in the comment column for those tracks.

The session templates are really not that useful, you need to work out how to create tracks, understand the differenced between audio, instrument, aux etc. tracks, and how to set up signal routing. Tutorials and the Pro Tools Reference Guide (explains track types and signal routing very well) will help.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-07-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:29 AM

Many thanks Darryl, My version of Pro Tools First is 2018.7.0
It came with the Focusrite Studio Kit I purchased for Xmas.
This was my first, very rushed attempt of home recording with my guitar, which is why I chose a Rock Template, which went very well until testing out my mic with the Audio track which was only available in stereo.
I do intend to create my own tracks, and will check out the tutorials as you suggest.
Another problem I encountered was that I could not Import Mp3 files from my computer as Pro Tools said I needed to install QuickTime, but this does not appear to be available for my Windows 10 system anymore. Perhaps you could suggest a way around this problem.
Once again, many thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 AM

Its worth watching some tutorials on how to customize the IO setup in Pro Tools.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Download QuickTime here and follow this article to install.

BTW, if you don't need Pro Tools, especially if this is your first foray into digital recording, have a look at Reaper. And I say this as an almost 20 year user of Pro Tools and someone who isn't going to be moving away from Pro Tools anytime soon. Reaper will play nice with almost any PC or Mac. Pro Tools, not even close (AVID = DIVA spelled backwards). As always, YMMV.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 01-08-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Many thanks "The Weed" ...bit confusing not to mention worrying when asked to install software that is said to be a threat to you're system.
Perhaps I should explore alternative methods for digital recording anyway, just to find what suits my needs best.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySlashP View Post
Perhaps I should explore alternative methods for digital recording anyway, just to find what suits my needs best.
This is a wise person

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave