Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate + DigiLink License.. 64 Channels using ASIO, true or false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Is there a need to change this? You can have 32 i/o with standard software, with Ultimate you can have 64 i/o with HDN and more with HDX. Pretty straight-forward to me, just pick the tier you need and go.
To be fair, it sounds like in this post you are essentially advocating that they leave things as is.

I get that Avid will do whatever they will do, I'm not so sure that discussions about what people are hoping they will do in the future need to be disparaged by a moderator. People want this and will pay for it. I have 4 HD|U licenses, Avid would get more from me if they offer this for sale then if I go pick up some used HDX or HDN cards.

It doesn't seem like it should be a problem to post that on the forum.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate + DigiLink License.. 64 Channels using ASIO, true or false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
To be fair, it sounds like in this post you are essentially advocating that they leave things as is.
Not saying they should and not saying they should not. Just stating the status quo.

Nobody seemed to ask for the Voice Packs, but Avid listens to their biggest customers and if they needed those Avid provided. I guess same goes for I/O, but most of the big customer workflow already have HDX so it might take time for Avid to realise they might make some money with this.

As the saying goes, don't hold your breath.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
People want this and will pay for it. I have 4 HD|U licenses, Avid would get more from me if they offer this for sale then if I go pick up some used HDX or HDN cards.
That's a fair point.

Just that some suit and tie calculates selling I/O packs gives them X amount of money and selling hardware gives them Y amount of money. And if the numbers are too close the suits are thinking "this would cannibalise hardware sales".

Again not defending but I know they need to see much much more money from selling I/O packs because that would eat some hardware sales as well. Why would they play a zero-sum game? In a perfect world just because they can and it would generate goodwill among the userbase, but the suits are thinking why risk hardware sales when the software demand is not as secure.

Of course if they did what they did with Voice Packs (they only work in Ultimate software) it just might generate extra Ultimate sales, but it is a tough one to predict. Suits need to present a bigger number of revenue that is 100% certain, that's the problem. Changing things is never certain.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:42 AM

That makes perfect sense Janne-

My business is obviously a lot smaller then Avid's, but I'm no stranger to a situation where customers and people working out of the studio don't understand why some things are done a certain way...Everyone thinks they can do it better! But there are always a lot of moving pieces.

If they are reading this, the one thing I would hope they would see is that it sure doesn't seem like HDN is flying off the shelves anyway. IE that ~64ch range seems like pretty safe territory.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
That makes perfect sense Janne-

My business is obviously a lot smaller then Avid's, but I'm no stranger to a situation where customers and people working out of the studio don't understand why some things are done a certain way...Everyone thinks they can do it better! But there are always a lot of moving pieces.

If they are reading this, the one thing I would hope they would see is that it sure doesn't seem like HDN is flying off the shelves anyway. IE that ~64ch range seems like pretty safe territory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2020, 06:56 PM

'I want my MTV' and a 32 i/o pack for my Ultimate ... but if you think I'm giving up my RME Totalmix, UFX+, MADI ADI 648 and Mytek 8X192 ADDA you'll have to think again.

RME has a UAD Apollo like 'hide specific inputs' from Pro Tools on the 'to do list.' I imagine it will be preset based, so you can set up multiple configurations.

I don't really need more than 32 channels, I just want to be able to have more than 32 things setup and pick and chose what I want to use when.