Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Apogee FX Rack

https://www.apogeedigital.com/products/apogee-fx-rack

Dear, Element Series, and Ensemble Thunderbolt owners,

It’s finally here!

Apogee FX Rack makes its debut today with a limited initial release of 4 native plugins. EQP-1A, Opto-3A, ModEQ 6 and ModComp will be rolling out exclusively to registered Element Series and Ensemble Thunderbolt customers by email.

Download Now
With this Limited Initial Release v1.0, Apogee unveils the native version of our Apogee FX Rack Plugin system. The complete system will be released in a series of regular updates through the end of November 2018.

System Requirements

Mac OS X 10.12.6 or higher, 10.14 Mojave fully supported
4 GB minimum RAM, 8 GB or higher recommended
The iLok License Manager needs to also be installed on your computer
Pace iLok account, free from https://www.ilok.com/#!registration - physical iLok not required
Officially Supported DAW's

Logic Pro 10
Pro Tools 12, Ultimate ( ProTools 11 and lower not currently supported
Ableton Live 10
Cubase 9.5 VST 1 & 2 ( VST 3 not implemented in this release )
Please note that any AUv2, VST 1&2m, or AAX fully compliant DAW should work
View ApogeeFX Rack Website
To install the Apogee FX Rack plugin:

Download the Mac installer: HERE
Visit ilok.com, create an account
Download and install the iLok License Manager
In your DAW, open the Apogee FX Rack plugin

5. Click on any of the four FX - ModComp, ModEQ, Opto-3A or EQP-1A.

6. In the Activation window, click “Try” not "Activate" - Activation codes coming with the full release.

7. In the License Account Login window, enter your iLok account credentials; click “Create new account” if you don’t have an iLok account.

8. In the Select a Location window, select the activation location - the Apogee FX Rack supports Hard Disk and iLok 2-3 locations.

This process starts a 30-day Trial period for the selected FX. Remaining FX Trial periods may be launched independently.

When the Initial Release period is complete by end of November 2018, Full licenses for all FX will be distributed to all Element and Ensemble registered owners.B

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Apogee FX Rack

Can someone help me find a DSP chart showing the maximum DSP plugin for the Element and Thunderbolt interfaces? I can’t find it anywhere on there Website.

Last edited by zion; 10-18-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM

I'm not an Apogee Rep - I just thought there may be folks interested in the fact that Apogee released plug ins.
Also you realize these are native right?

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Mitchell View Post
I'm not an Apogee Rep - I just thought there may be folks interested in the fact that Apogee released plug ins.
I see you have an Apogee Ensemble and Element please post your findings when you get around to it. I’m just curious to know how powerful the DSP capability is. I’m sure this informations got to be somewhere. I looked in the FAQ. I don’t understands why it’s so hard to find or am I missing something about how the DSP part works.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Mitchell View Post
Look again, they are native for any DAW user but also have DSP versions for Ensemble and Element users.

OTOH, Apogee are on some *serious* drugs with these prices.. I really hope people aren't stupid enough to pay it cause of the name.. That EQ is so limited compared to pro Q2 and even $39 IIEQ Pro, for $149.. another pultec EQ for $149? Yeah, right.
The bundle for $450? 4 basic plugins for $450.. what weirdos.

The only one that might be interesting is the $99 LA3A, since the waves one is crap, and this has added a wet/dry and a highpass, very worthwhile features. THAT one does something extra for an LA3A.. but the other plugins, especially the "mod" series, are "JADPL" just another digital plugin. Basic comp and EQ plugins for 149 a piece.. my head is spinning.. If you want to spend $149 on a compressor, do yourself a favour and get arousor on the Avid special if it's still available at 149:)

Oh, a mod should move this to plugin sub forum.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 PM

It’s interesting days, but I am not sure I would give high marks to Apogee Digital for how they have launched all this... just look st the confusion here about native vs DSP.

In one way Apogee likely wants to set pricing similar to UAD, to set expectations their plugins are as good. In another kudos to them for supporting native as well as onboard DSP. That’s a hassle for some UAD workflows. But one if the hassles with the great UAD plugins are they are so good that you want to buy more and it all can get expensive fast.... and then you are locked in forever.

On the other hand I think Apogee need to really prove they have something great here and lots more coming to counter the lead UAD has, which to me would be more pushing out incredibly aggressive priced starter packs to their current users and getting word of mouth marketing going. Play the long game, right now it looks more short game, with some hiccups getting stuff to market timely, and then expecting current users to cough up for plugins at UAD pricing.

Personally it’s also an issue they don’t have a DSP story with symphony as I really like the modularity of that interface.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:17 AM

To Darryl, others

''Personally it’s also an issue they don’t have a DSP story with symphony as I really like the modularity of that interface.''

Would you consider the Symphony MkII a worthwhile hardware upgrade with its modularity.

Regards
Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 AM

Upgrade from what Mk I ? Ensemble?

You really need to work this out for yourself. We have no clue what features are important for you.

It is hard to imagine they are not going to bump the Symphony with DSP capability. So now is probably not the time to go from I to II. And they must have a Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 3/USB-C transition planned. (Another issue with the kind of messy intro to all this DSP stuff). Or they abandon the Symphony and come out with dense IO version of Ensemble like the UAD Apollo 16 models... with Thunderbolt and chaining interfaces that may make more sense than expansion within larger chassis. But hard to believe Apogee would give up all the investment in Symphony. Their 8x8x8 card is especially appealing to me with AES/EBU input needs... no way to go that on UAD Apollo interfaces.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Upgrade from what Mk I ? Ensemble?

Focusrite Saffire 56 just looking at the Symphony MKII or even the base Avid MTRX with AES/EBU.

Regards
Old 10-19-2018, 05:01 PM

I'm not buying any more software plugins. Slate, waves c76, and avid stuff is fine for me. Only hardware from now on.