Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 05-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Default bug in Logic, plugins open all the time

There's a bug in Logic X, every time a track is selected by any Avid control surface, the instrument plugin opens for that track. Pretty annoying. Can this be investigated?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 AM

Default Re: bug in Logic, plugins open all the time.

I am having the same problem with plugins opening and closing....any info into this?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:18 AM

This is Apple's problem not Avid's. It's up to Apple on how they want to implement Eucon. Suggest you contact/complain to them.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 AM

yeah right. If I developed a product like Eucon, and it wasn’t behaving the way I expect, that burden to get it fixed is all on me, not my customers.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:18 AM

Eucon is a framework.
Apple isn’t Avid’s Customer (there is no licensing fee)
Other companies who implement Eucon seem to be capable (like Steinberg).

Or to make this simple for you: if I create a new language with a new alphabet but the only word you can spell is “dirt” while everyone else can write full sentences, the problem lies with you and not the alphabet.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Eucon is a framework.
Apple isn’t Avid’s Customer (there is no licensing fee)
Other companies who implement Eucon seem to be capable (like Steinberg).

Or to make this simple for you: if I create a new language with a new alphabet but the only word you can spell is “dirt” while everyone else can write full sentences, the problem lies with you and not the alphabet.
And to put it even simpler for you, someone who lacks the most basic sense of business acumen:

The customer doesn't care that his car's A/C doesn't work because two independent manufacturers of its components can't agree on something, the customer just returns the car.

Avid suffers when their products have too many bugs, it's up to THEM to pester apple to fix them. Never the customer. Get outta here with this nonsense.

Of course there are more factors here, one is that the bugs are minor and two is that Avid is more focused on Pro Tools than Logic, therefore the priority is low.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Avid

Now now.....

This is how it works at Avid with EUCON. But firstly yes we care greatly about our customers (despite what some people think!) The Logic user base is a big % of people who buy EUCON products.

Avid publishes the EUCON SDK for DAW manufacturers to implement. During implementation, we give sometimes a little, sometimes a lot of help to their engineers.
Once done the DAW manufacture releases it in their software, not ours.
It is now up to them to make sure it works OK but.....
Any bugs reported we send to them and any help requested we oblige.
We are currently working with Adobe and Apple for instance and this issue is forwarded to them. Other than that we can't do much more.

I disagree that it isn't up to the customer to pester the DAW manufacture as this would greatly help show them that the issue is important among the 100's of other issues they would be working on.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Now now.....

This is how it works at Avid with EUCON. But firstly yes we care greatly about our customers (despite what some people think!) The Logic user base is a big % of people who buy EUCON products.

Avid publishes the EUCON SDK for DAW manufacturers to implement. During implementation, we give sometimes a little, sometimes a lot of help to their engineers.
Once done the DAW manufacture releases it in their software, not ours.
It is now up to them to make sure it works OK but.....
Any bugs reported we send to them and any help requested we oblige.
We are currently working with Adobe and Apple for instance and this issue is forwarded to them. Other than that we can't do much more.

I disagree that it isn't up to the customer to pester the DAW manufacture as this would greatly help show them that the issue is important among the 100's of other issues they would be working on.
Your efforts and excellent communication are always appreciated Eddie..

Plugins on Avid surfaces with track stacks in Logic haven't worked correctly in years. So it's not any recent change. I suspect Apple is refusing to budge because they are the bigger fish.

What are the chances of modifying your SDK to accommodate the long-standing changes that were made to Logic?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
What are the chances of modifying your SDK to accommodate the long-standing changes that were made to Logic?
What changes specifically, the EUCON SDK is already quite large so it might just be Apple needing to EUCONize them?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
What changes specifically, the EUCON SDK is already quite large so it might just be Apple needing to EUCONize them?
It seems to me that plugin handling is very different on track stacks by Apple's design.. In a way that Eucon is not expecting.. that's why they're missing sometimes. And there are other similar bugs with Logic X that were not bugs in Logic 9, and I bet they're related.

Track stacks have been a feature since 2013 and those plugins have never worked right with Eucon surfaces. 5 years is quite a while.

To me, it would seem that Eucon is supplemental software and Apple sees fit to make design changes to their DAW which aren't necessarily compatible with Eucon.. And that it's up to Eucon to keep up.

It's sort of like the accessory iphone case vendor needs to fit the new iphone, not the other way around.

That's my guess based on a long history with these products. If I am right, then I am sure these two points were considered by Avid:

1- Changing Eucon may be too much trouble to fix bugs like this.
2- Changing Eucon in this way risks breaking other Eucon apps like Cubase.

If that is true, it would appear that the customers are stuck with no end in sight.