Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Default Pro Tools FAQ is now updated for PT12, etc.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icensing-FAQ#7
Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Protools FAQ is now updated for PT12, etc.

Quote:
Q. What happens if I allow my Pro Tools subscription to lapse?
A. You will no longer be able to use Pro Tools after your subscription lapses. If your subscription has lapsed and you wish to continue using Pro Tools, simply start a new monthly or annual subscription.
This seems to indicate that you will be able to jump back into the subscription without a penalty. I wonder if that's what they intend?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
This seems to indicate that you will be able to jump back into the subscription without a penalty. I wonder if that's what they intend?
I don't think so and if it is that contradicts stuff they've said here; the penalty being you'd have to buy a full new license if you let things lapse.

This scares the daylights out of me. They haven't said what the costs are going to be for this subscription plan. Also if you buy a perpetual license and let the support plan lapse what is going to be the buy-back-in cost? I guess this is the 'flexible licensing' terms Avid personnel were talking about? And the FAQ says this is just for non-HD users (aka vanilla). I wonder what the cost will be for HD users when this subscription deal happens (and it will I can pretty much guarantee that).

I guess this also puts the lie to what some were speculating about Avid dropping version numbers for PT.

Depending on the costs Digital Performer is looking good; either that or my system will freeze at PT11.3.0 (or whatever bug fixes we get before we have to fork over the plastic for PT12). Cloud collaboration/Avid Everywhere - I sure as the dickens don't need or want that.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't think so and if it is that contradicts stuff they've said here; the penalty being you'd have to buy a full new license if you let things lapse.
My understanding of the FAQ is that's only if you are on a perpetual HD/HDX license (like most of us). If we let it lapse we have to buy full new licenses.

If you are on a monthly PT vanilla you can start and stop without penalty.

There is no HD software monthly subscription. Just the yearly "support plan of $599. What they don't mention is discounts for multiple HDX/HD rigs....if any.

This blows. I can't see any new music studio wanting to go the PT HDX route in the future. (2) UA Apollo 16, (4) UAD2 Octos, Logic (PT vanilla monthly when needed for transfers) is a much better and cost effective system in my opinion going forward.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM

This is all so confusing! So if I purchased an upgrade before Dec 31, 2014 that was just buying into the support plan? So when that expires my PT's 11 will no longer work? This part is still a little unclear to me.

I thought if you didn't renew, you were just locked in at whatever your last update was?

If that is not the case, I sure am glad I have a second Pt 10 license that I haven't upgraded! So confused!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-22-2015, 02:28 PM

It is as if they are distinctly trying to avoid stating that HD will ever be available as a stand alone purchase once an HD license/plan expires as well as how much it will be.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
This is all so confusing! So if I purchased an upgrade before Dec 31, 2014 that was just buying into the support plan? So when that expires my PT's 11 will no longer work? This part is still a little unclear to me.

I thought if you didn't renew, you were just locked in at whatever your last update was?
if u r on hd it will always work but no more updates or support we never use anyway.

on vanilla if u skip a month u can just start up another monthly with no penalty. but the month u didnt pay vanilla wont work.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
It is as if they are distinctly trying to avoid stating that HD will ever be available as a stand alone purchase once an HD license/plan expires as well as how much it will be.
they are not trying to avoid it. they stated it as fact:

Quote:
Q. Is Pro Tools | HD software available as a subscription?

A. No, not at this time. Pro Tools | HD software is currently only available as part of a full Pro Tools | HDX or Pro Tools | HD Native system purchase.

Perpetual license section:

A. A "perpetual license" is a license that does not expire—you own the software. You get a perpetual license when you purchase a new Pro Tools or Pro Tools | HD system or Pro Tools software. New Pro Tools software purchases come with a one-year annual upgrade and support plan. After one year, you have the option of renewing your plan to continue receiving the latest features. If you choose not to renew, you can continue using your software indefinitely at the latest version you have, but will not be able to upgrade it at a later time.
To me that means if we don't get on support plan or support plan runs out we have to buy a whole new full priced HD licenses. That can't be it though. There will be a revolt after purchasing systems worth upwards of $20k a pop.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:41 PM

Since I dismiss the notion that they don't know what all the details will be for all the flexible HD licenses (and any potential buy back in)...

I am left with the conclusion that the reason they are not making them public knowledge yet is that the user base reaction will be so negative they just don't want to deal with it yet. There is no positive marketing reason I can think of for telling us for months that a change is coming and then just feeding us scraps and partial answers along the way...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
they are not trying to avoid it. they stated it as fact:

Q. Is Pro Tools | HD software available as a subscription?

A. No, not at this time. Pro Tools | HD software is currently only available as part of a full Pro Tools | HDX or Pro Tools | HD Native system purchase.
Your post only reinforces mine, not the other way around. It says "Not at this time" which means that at some point it may be.

Let's do the math:

I buy HD hardware (HDN/HDX) for $XXXX, plus some IO for $XXXX more. One of which comes with a current HD lisence, however it does not come with a support nor upgrade plan.

Going forward my choices are to buy an upgrade plan for $599 or let my license lapse. Let's say down the line they get their collective **** together and ProTools "14" is a rock solid version with cool features that actually work as claimed. What happens if I want to upgrade from 11 HD to 14 HD? Am I supposed to invest in the new HD system? (Which I assume would still not include and upgrade nor support plan).

They are avoiding this subject at every turn.