Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Default I'm a new Pro Tools user with a few questions.

First, I'd like to introduce myself: My name is Jay. I'm completely new to Pro Tools; although I've been doing my own recording for years. I've decided to take the Digidesign Pro Tools classes at a studio in my area for further knowledge on the program, as well as recording in itself. I bought a pro tools setup a few days ago and it's safe to say that I am more than confused. I hope someone has answers to my questions.

Background information:
I'm currently using a Digidesign MBox 2 mini and running Windows XP (SP3) on a Dell Dimension E521 desktop computer with 2gbs of RAM. My primary web browser is Google Chrome. I've deleted IE, due to previous advice that I've read on this website about the "structure.dpm" problem and Firefox tends to freeze my computer.

1. I don't have any sound coming from my web browser or other things on my computer other than Windows Media Player and Pro Tools LE. What should I do to ensure that all of my sounds are working properly and consistently?

2. iTunes has some sort of weird delay with it when I play music. It echoes like crazy. What can I do to correct this so that I can continue to use iTunes?

I'd also like to thank everyone for their replies to the "structure.dpm" threads. I was having the same problem and it helped me out a lot today. Setting this system up has been such a headache and I'm ready to really learn more about what I'm doing so I don't have to go through this again.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Re: I'm a new Pro Tools user with a few questions.

1. Unless you get the MME helper, (see link below) Windows sounds will NOT play back thru your Digi hardware, and that leads us to;
2. I Tunes doesn't work with Digi hardware period.
Your BEST bet is to enable your on-board sound and use THAT for all the incidental, non PT audio.
couldn't find this on the "new not so improved Avidesign website" but it was a freebie anyway:
http://www.southwestrecording.com/do...E%20Helper.exe
Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 PM

Hello Jay;

Hey SW

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
1. Unless you get the MME helper, (see link below) Windows sounds will NOT play back thru your Digi hardware, and that leads us to;
2. I Tunes doesn't work with Digi hardware period.
Your BEST bet is to enable your on-board sound and use THAT for all the incidental, non PT audio.
couldn't find this on the "new not so improved Avidesign website" but it was a freebie anyway:
http://www.southwestrecording.com/do...E%20Helper.exe
Thank you for your quick reply!

I've downloaded the MME Helper. What am I supposed to do here? Do I import sounds into it? I'm just as confused; although I really appreciate the help.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Hello Jay;

Hey SW
Hi, how're you?
Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Have you considered dual booting? It's a much neater solution if you want an every day computer and a DAW. Then you can do all the tweeks for Pro tools without upsetting your internet or your onboard sound.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_ View Post
Have you considered dual booting? It's a much neater solution if you want an every day computer and a DAW. Then you can do all the tweeks for Pro tools without upsetting your internet or your onboard sound.
I think this seems like a REALLY dumb question, but what is dual booting? I'm a complete novice when it comes to this.

Edit: Okay, I googled what that is and it seems like the ideal solution for me. I just can't seem to find any tutorials on how to do it. Every website is saying "dual boot XP with Vista." Are you aware of any tutorials that I can dual boot XP and have XP on the other OS as well?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 AM

There are a couple of ways to do it. I have a second system drive with XP and Pro Tools installed. When I turn on the computer, at the splash screen it says press f12 for boot options, then I select the Pro Tools drive and away it goes. If I want my Windows 7 drive I just boot up normally (without pressing f12). Now that is using a Gigabyte motherboard, I don't know if you have this option on your computer... if not you can partition your hard drive, install a second OS and on starting your machine XP will give you the option to select which you want to boot from. There are loads of articles on the net about how to do this.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 AM

http://www.homerecordingconnection.c...w_story&id=151
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_ View Post
There are a couple of ways to do it. I have a second system drive with XP and Pro Tools installed. When I turn on the computer, at the splash screen it says press f12 for boot options, then I select the Pro Tools drive and away it goes. If I want my Windows 7 drive I just boot up normally (without pressing f12). Now that is using a Gigabyte motherboard, I don't know if you have this option on your computer... if not you can partition your hard drive, install a second OS and on starting your machine XP will give you the option to select which you want to boot from. There are loads of articles on the net about how to do this.
Really, thank you a hell of a lot. I've been up all night trying to figure out this sound issue. This is definitely the best solution I've heard so far. I'm going try and do this. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. LOL. So, here's to coming out on the upside of things.

Thanks, again.
(I'm reading the link you've provided now. Thanks for that as well.)