Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-19-2000, 04:37 PM

Default interleaved stereo--what is this

i don't understand what this is. should i use it for files destined for web and/or director 7?
Old 03-19-2000, 09:24 PM

Default Re: interleaved stereo--what is this

norie,

AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) is one of the two most-used audio file formats used in the Apple Macintosh operating sytem. The other is Sound Designer II (SDII). Most CD writers can accept AIFF or SDII files interchangeably when writing a Red Book audio CD. AIFF is sometimes referred to as "Apple Interchange File Format."

The extension for this file type is ".aif" when it is used on a PC. On a Mac, the file extension is not needed. A Mac file uses a Type and Creator resource to identify itself to the operating system and the applications that can open it.

An AIFF file contains the raw audio data, channel information (monophonic or stereophonic), bit depth, sample rate, and application-specific data areas. The application-specific data areas let different applications add information to the file header that remains there even if the file is opened and processed by another application. For example, a file could retain information about selected regions of the audio data used for recalling zoom levels not used by other applications.

Hope this helps

e

Old 03-19-2000, 10:07 PM

E, you are the man.

Norie, you can think of it very easily like this" An interleaved file is one file that contains both channels of audio, left and right. Split stereo chops that file in half, so you have two files that contain the left and right information...Pro Tools only uses split stereo files except on export (unless this has changed in 5.0 - E?), but I believe the applications you mention like interleaved....

Sean H (I've seen there is another good irish lad with the same monikker, thus the H)

Scofield...
Old 03-20-2000, 09:48 AM

Norie,

It appears that you and I might be travelling parallel courses here. I too am trying to integrate audio into a website for a client. I've just done a bunch of research at the Macromedia site on both Flash and Director. It appears that director is more geared to games and CD-ROMs than it is to web design, - that's where Flash comes in. And, at least from what I can tell, you're going to have to bring all your audio down to some compressed form sooner or later. Might be MP3, might be a .WAV file at 22.5 kHz/mono/8 bit, etc. My own experience with CD-I is that they also want to keep the audio files small in order to keep the graphics as punchy as possible. The best resolution that I've ever been allowed for a CD-I is 22.5 kHz/mono/16 bit.

Since you specifically mentioned that your files are going to the Internet I'm going to assume that the following link might be of some use to you. It contains a lot of data pertaining to sound for Flash (which is the kissing cousin of director)
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/

Good luck with your venture. I'm learning far too much about keyframes and the fact that audio gets secondary or tertiary status for these things. We live in a visual society, I guess.....
Old 03-20-2000, 11:06 AM

http://www.terran.com/CodecCentral/index.html
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/

check these out for lots of good info for web authoring.

jim
Old 03-21-2000, 08:28 AM

you guys have all been so helpful! it's great. i think i'm getting a grip at last, though i'm now unclear on the concept of streaming. what exactly is streaming. i think i understand that mpc is both compressed and streamed -- i understand compression but not streaming so i can't think creatively about how to achieve it, other than mp3.