Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-20-2000, 11:24 AM

Default Video/Audio capture

Is it possible to capture video while recording 4 (or more) audio tracks into ProTools? I'm using an Aurora Fuse (with Premiere 5.1 LE), and although it seems I can capture both in one pass, the video drifts out of sync during playback. If I capture the video using a second pass, the sync is fine. Would a fast SCSI controller help?
Old 02-20-2000, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Video/Audio capture

most likely...adding a fast scsi controler to the mix..would only make things worse...as it too would be competing for resources on teh PCI bus. It really depends on which Mac you have. If you have a blue and white G3 or a G4..then..yes..adding a ultra wide card..may help

The biggest thing that helps..is making sure that you are not capturing the audio and video..to the same drive. Set your audio to record to a diff drive. At a min..I would suggest that ..if you don't have one..get another ATA drive...7200 rpm..and..capture your video to one drive..and the audio to another. Im not so sure ..that you can do this...in preferences in Premiere...but perhaps you can.

Also, try playing back the movie..with audio and video..in the quicktime player as a reference..to see if its out of sync.

I seem to remmeber something on Aurora's site..about captures playing out of sync..in Premeier window..but..they actually out put fine..and..also..they play fine in QT movie player. Check this..and see..if it is so.

Finally, the fuse card..and its extensions..use software..to maintain sync..with audio video thru sound manager.

Are you using PT to capture the audio?

You can set..in your Premeire prefs..to use your digi hardware..as the input..output source..for capture. (Im assuming this is waht you did..and that the resulting captures..were out of sync).

Could you describe..how you are doing the capture ...both together..and seperately?

Are you..when captureing audio septerately..or.as you say..in another pass...still captureing it..in premiere?

If so, you may be right..you might not have enough speed..to keep them both together..or..your video may be dropping frames in capture..in order..to keep everything moving. This would result in a slow out of sync..playback as well.

Post back and let me know.

dfc
Old 02-20-2000, 01:23 PM

dfc,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running a 9600-300 with 192 Mb ram. I used the external (slow) scsi for video and internal (fast) scsi for audio capture. I ran ProTools in the background, online, with machine (I'm using MachineControl)as master (Protools locked to Video/LTC using MTP-AV 29.97 df,44100,no pull up/dn.) After starting the VCR (Sony BVU-870)and waiting for ProTools to sync, I put ProTools in record, then switch to Premiere and put it in record. Everything is locked to blackburst.

I don't believe there is an option to use the Digidesign hardware to capture audio in Premiere, but I'll check that.
Old 02-20-2000, 03:22 PM

To use your dig hardware in premiere for capture...go to the setup portions of Premeier.and choose..capture/input..your digi card should be there. Select it. Choose it for output as well. Now, when you capture from within premiere..you will be captureing audio thru the Digi card.
You might try switching your setup...ie..use the faster internal bus..for video...and the slower external for audio.

The video capture rate of the fuse is far higher than your audio. If you are dropping frames on capture..this could be part of the problem.

Once you have captured your audio in premiere..you can import and convert it..in PROtools to remix..etc.

Let me know how its working...I have an 8500 and use toolbox..with PT5le..and im thinking about the fuse card. There have been some posts of the fuse stuttering on playback with PT..but Ive yet to see anyone using PT5le..with a fuse..so..If you wouldn't mind..could you post..as to how it works..playing the movie back ..within the PT5le timeline? I would much appreciate it.

Thanks

dfc
Old 02-20-2000, 04:55 PM

dfc,

Just checked, and Premiere 5.1 LE (bundled with Fuse) doesn't see the Digi hardware, only the Mac built in. Perhaps the full version of Premiere does.

I've been capturing at 160x120 using Aurora MJPEG A compression, without stutter or drift over a 15 min project, as long as I record audio and video in 2 passes, one pass to Premiere, and a second pass to ProTools(v5.0). I'm going to start experimenting with higher resolution video capture, I'll keep you posted.

John