Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Default Studio Monitor feedback...CPU noise????

So I am running PT9 now (loving it) I have the new Mbox Pro 3G and also have to say...I can literally hear the difference in the audio processing from the old Mbox 2 Pro...anyway...At any point my studio monitors are turned on and Pro Tools OR any type of audio program are running (ie itunes) there is a quite loud noise that sounds like feedback or cpu noise? My computer is a custom built beast so did i miss something normally included in let's say a Dell or HP that would quiet it down? The fans I use are super quiet so my actual PC doesn't make any noise...I've tried multiple outlets in the room as well as surge protectors.

I just need to know if it's a power issue or PC issue...Please help! It's really loud and makes recording annoying!

Also, I'm pretty sure my HP desktop didn't make this noise. Slight quiet hiss but that's it. This sounds like an old arcade game in my speakers haha
Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Studio Monitor feedback...CPU noise????

Hey, since I don't know your setup this sometimes happens to me to and this is the reason why. Some other audio programs, have some sorts of recording abilities, so you can do short audio stuff. It happens that if your audio inputs gain is open, you will hear the hisses of your room through the microphones. I noticed this on the laptop of a friend as I was working at his house. His laptop integrated microphone was registering everything that we were saying. So make sure that all inputs gains are closed when you are not using the mics and to disable the integrated mics if you are on a laptop.

If this doesn't work, then sorry no other clue on my end.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:27 AM

I did what you said, no difference. It seems to only make the amount of noise that's intolerable when IN pro tools. Itunes I can hear it SLIGHTLY once and a while but in protools whether recording or playback or just sitting in program it makes the noise. It's not a constant noise, sounds like a processor or something because it swirls higher and lower pitches. While protools is loading the noise kicks on, during the loading screen. As soon as I close the program the noise stops...This is SOOO annoying.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 AM

Maybe a better USB cable to the Mbox? This reminds me of some other reports going back a few years. Sometimes a power conditioner helps as well. Si there anything new to your setup, like a wireless keyboard or mouse?

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM

is your motherboard a gigabyte x58 ud3r ?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leify View Post
...My computer is a custom built beast so did i miss something normally included in let's say a Dell or HP that would quiet it down? The fans I use are super quiet so my actual PC doesn't make any noise...I've tried multiple outlets in the room as well as surge protectors...
What power supply did you use? Some of the less expensive power supplies are quite noisy when it comes to radio frequency noise. If you didn't use a top of the line power supply it could be generating radio frequency noise that could be picked up by your audio circuitry. Different outlets, surge protectors, and power conditioners won't help if your power supply is basically acting like a radio transmitter.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromillion View Post
is your motherboard a gigabyte x58 ud3r ?
are you referring to this(from the i7 thread)?

Gigabyte UD5 Squeal: Various professional DAW builders and DIY PC builders alike have been suffering from an annoying problem with certain Gigabyte motherboards, in particular their GA EX58 UD5P model, so here’s the lowdown. When audio software is being run, you hear low-level but nevertheless unpleasant whining/squealing noises not dissimilar to those that result from digital ground-loop issues. Sometimes the noises can be heard acoustically from vibrating PSU components, but for most musicians the problem is audible as background noises in the output of their audio interface (particularly so with Firewire models). There’s even a YouTube video illustrating the problem (www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUk7NJDT9vM).

If you hear such noises from your Firewire audio interface, unplug other audio gear from it and listen to the headphone output in isolation. If the noises have gone, you’re suffering from a ground loop, and can resort to the usual cures, such as balanced cabling or a line-level DI box. If the noises remain, you might be another victim of the dreaded ‘UD5 squeal’. If so, the cure seems to be to disable the ‘C1E CPU Enhanced Halt state’ in the Advanced CPU Features section of the BIOS, which should also cure any PSU noises. This parameter is normally used to reduce power consumption but, due to an unfortunate design flaw, can produce a noisy side-effect with this motherboard model.
Published in SOS December 2009

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM

My motherboard is an Asus P6TD deluxe motherboard. What you said about the other motherboard seems exactly like my problem. Could this Asus motherboard have the same issue? (Oh and to the other guy, the Mbox Pro is not USB it's firewire and it's a good quality wire, so definitely not the issue.

And my power supply is the same power supply from my HP (i had upgraded it for an aftermarket graphics card previously) So i used it again.. definitely not the powersupply.

Hmmm...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Ok so I did the headphone test...absolutely no noise when only listening through headphones...My only problem with the ground loop would be, this new computer is in the exact same room and outlets that the other computer was in...? Same cables same setup...just new computer. Any other possibilites? I don't want to buy cables or that DI box thing unless that's definitely the solution.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure I am already using balanced cables...