Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Why I went Logic.

I use both. They each have their purpose. PT still has superior editing and mixing IMHO.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveparker View Post
Maybe one day I will be back. To be honest as I said I do actually prefer the Protools interface, but maybe thats because I am just more familiar with it. However at the moment Logic just seems to be more suited to my needs.

As for professional use, I am definetly not a professional. Maybe "very keen amateur" is more accurate. But if professional means having to use a crap interface then you can keep it! Why shouldn't I be able to use the gear I paid for in anyway I choose? Including the avoidance of slightly depressing sopa operas?

And on the "Avid is only interested in hardware", why then do I need to buy a different version of PT (PTMP) if I wanted to use my Profire 2626 natively? What exactly is the point in the PTLE and PTMP divide?

I'm starting to rant now, I will get my coat...

Dave

I completely agree, its a very frustrating situation for me as well. I'm getting to the point where I'm wanting to replace the weakest link in my chain, which right now is my 002R. And besides the interfaces, Logic has been much more efficient lately and I don't get the equivalent of the RTAS buffer errors all the time in Logic. But at the same time I can't stand working in it.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveparker View Post

As for professional use, I am definetly not a professional. Maybe "very keen amateur" is more accurate. But if professional means having to use a crap interface then you can keep it! Why shouldn't I be able to use the gear I paid for in anyway I choose? Including the avoidance of slightly depressing sopa operas?

Dave
LOL - I feel your pain %100 - why do the ladies watch that crap?!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
I completely agree, its a very frustrating situation for me as well. I'm getting to the point where I'm wanting to replace the weakest link in my chain, which right now is my 002R. And besides the interfaces, Logic has been much more efficient lately and I don't get the equivalent of the RTAS buffer errors all the time in Logic. But at the same time I can't stand working in it.
Have you considered Black lion? I'm right there with you with the 002console... at least you could mod yours...

Also just to throw it out there there's always Cubase/Nuendo... I have yet to fall into the apple trap - tho I'm slowly slipping into the event horizion (have an iphone) and am really getting sick of hardware not being recognized / crashing on the PC. Top it off I have a bunch of friends trying to convince me to jump to Logic and swear by it... just can't seem to do it. Not for the $ it would take and for all that I've already spent on the crap I have... I do like PT's interface and work flow - it's like being in front of a real desk.
But I guess the annoyances come from the fact that they're trying to make a buck like everybody else which is why I feel like I kinda wasted my money on this 002 when I should have just saved up for HD...
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrippa View Post
Have you considered Black lion? I'm right there with you with the 002console... at least you could mod yours...

Also just to throw it out there there's always Cubase/Nuendo... I have yet to fall into the apple trap - tho I'm slowly slipping into the event horizion (have an iphone) and am really getting sick of hardware not being recognized / crashing on the PC. Top it off I have a bunch of friends trying to convince me to jump to Logic and swear by it... just can't seem to do it. Not for the $ it would take and for all that I've already spent on the crap I have... I do like PT's interface and work flow - it's like being in front of a real desk.
But I guess the annoyances come from the fact that they're trying to make a buck like everybody else which is why I feel like I kinda wasted my money on this 002 when I should have just saved up for HD...
I've considered getting the black lion mod, but that wouldn't get rid of the crappy drivers and using Digi Core Audio. Even the new mboxes would be an improvement with drivers, and from what I've heard the sound too. Bottom line though is I can wait, and will wait for awhile (at least PT9 and maybe Logic 10) before I ditch one entirely and/or get a new interface.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Daveparker.

I went through this too. The good part is when you come back you will get a new interface.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
You will be back, you will find logic more frustrating, it will take several months. Been there, done that, several times.
lol John +1 :)

Pro Tools is home.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Another reason to use hardware effects, compatible on any DAW.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM

I used Logic exclusively about 7-8 years ago until I got into Pro Tools. In my experience, the fact that you can only use Avid hardware is a bonus for me as the stability is unquestioned. To make your software work on an unlimited amount of interfaces takes massive amounts of programming and opening up your code to people to write drivers for etc. Apple obviously have to manpower to look after this but I doubt Avid do (have a look at their site, they can't get that right yet!) I used to get all kinds of drop outs on Logic using different interfaces, from the cheap Terratec cards through to the good MOTU 2408 series. I have since used 001, 002, 003, Mbox mini, Mbox Pro with LE and never once had an issue with something not working. It's like the Mac/Windows discussions. People complain about how buggy Windows is, but you have to take into account eh vast array of hardware systems that has to run on, from the factory built Dell systems for example to the guy getting parts to make his own custom machine. Apple OSX will only (legally) work on an Apple system which is why it is generally so sturdy. It's built for that box and that box only so they don;t have to write in extra code and add-ons for it to support 2000 graphics cards etc.

At least that's how I see it, I could be talking total nonsense, i'm sure I'll be told if I am!
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM

I too have logic installed wit pro tools 8 le but i also have studio one pro from presonus....there is a world of difference...i do have logic pro 9 and 7.2...i like 7.2 better cos of the warmth of the sound..logic 9 isnt that far off..i find pro tools 8 le sounding a bit thin....as per studio one pro i find it warm and the plugins by far are better then the other two not to mention that it can master whihc u would need another program in the other two to do...logic and studio both use the one window system....i rather like pro tools gui interface and ease to use...pt i feel cant be beat on multi midi editing...studio one pro i like their quantizing feature better then the other two...as per virtual instruments..its logic hands down follow by pt then studio...i use all three for creation of my projects depending on what my needs are for it...I think pro tools score is better by far then logic...studio does not have this feature....if i had to create the perfect daw i would use pro tools gui interfaceand editing..logics virtual instruments and the sound quality and plugins of studio one pro...this is my two cents....btw all 3 of these programs are being used with a digi interface...