Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Re: To all noobs

There is talent other than as it relates to being a good musician. Understanding the public and knowing what will sell records is a talent. Being able to assemble the right team of professionals to surround yourself with is a talent. Being able to choose the right material for your presentation is a talent. Creating a persona that will attract a paying audience requires talent. Creating contacts and relationships requires talent. Standing in front of a crowd and showing the special flash that sets you apart from the audience is a talent. I think most of what we see in the limelight these days is proof that talent is not necessarily about musicianship. Sadly, they can rent musicians for next to nothing. So I guess that these days it’s creating flash that’s the talent. It’s the flash that seems to get all the credit.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
There is talent other than as it relates to being a good musician. Understanding the public and knowing what will sell records is a talent. Being able to assemble the right team of professionals to surround yourself with is a talent. Being able to choose the right material for your presentation is a talent. Creating a persona that will attract a paying audience requires talent. Creating contacts and relationships requires talent. Standing in front of a crowd and showing the special flash that sets you apart from the audience is a talent. I think most of what we see in the limelight these days is proof that talent is not necessarily about musicianship. Sadly, they can rent musicians for next to nothing. So I guess that these days it’s creating flash that’s the talent. It’s the flash that seems to get all the credit.
Right, Tom.
Moreover marketing seem to be more important than the actual product.
I wonder when people start to check the underlying quality of a product again.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Well said. We musicians WANT it to be more about the music rather than the flash, so I guess we're mainly just speaking in terms of the musical ability most of the time.

But I'd have to agree with you. To be good at anything is to have a talent...
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Jus my opinion, but Lady Gaga is actually talented; I mean, I felt she was & rite now is a gimmick but 1 with talent jus like Elton John was @ 1 point & time.. Low & behold, who does she wind up performing with @the Grammys, the olden day talented gimmick... jus my opinion...
I caught some YouTube of her doing Pokerface live with her band, and I must admit I was surprised at how good it was Her songs are incredibly catchy. It's not my thing but they stick, and that's part of the job of a writer...yes?

Scott
Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 AM

Let's not forget... just for the sake of discussion... that musicality is very much a product of culture and is subjective to what one has experienced as "musical".

I was studying the music of certain African tribes recently, and was hugely surprised with how "non-musical" the vocal part of the their music is, even currently, at least to my Western ears. It doesn't strike me as very refined, but to them... it's a masterpiece!

I guess what we're talking about here can be defined as musical "style", and ours in this country has changed quite a bit over the past bunch of years (at least in popular music). I find rap music very mundane, as it has no real melody, most of the time, and is weighed very heavily with rhythm. This is common with the African tribes as well, so one could certainly draw a connection there as to the origins of the rap style. The other part of some rap that I have trouble with is the counter cultural themes that often prevail in that style. There is the argument that the strong language and topics that are common in some rap music reflects true urban lifestyle. This may be true for that population, but I think, given the enormity of the media, it is beginning to flood the entire youth population with the notion that this is what to expect within our culture as an entirely, and this is what I have the biggest problem with. It's insidious, and is flooding the youth market with a very scary message.

The points about Lady Gaga that are being made here are reflective of this. She may be talented, and is pushing the right commercial and cultural buttons, but are these the buttons we really need and want to push? Perhaps, Elton John presented himself in a very over-the-top way back in the 70s, but listen to what his songs had to say... enough said.

Madonna was a huge influence in this counter cultural direction in the 80s. The trend continues, which is why, talented or not, I have little value for this style.

Another example of how musicality is subjective would be to look at the career of someone like... say... Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan struggles to sing in a manner that sounds... musically accurate, at least to "tonal" ears, and he's no Robert Johnson with guitar - but he does what he does with passion... which is what draws people to him, and his message is universally pure.

So, people have differing thoughts as to what they feel is "good", whether we agree or not. Perhaps it is true to think that there's really no bad music, as someone somewhere thinks it's probably great! Go figure.

Truthfully? I have little idea of where I'm going with all this, and how it relates to recording and production... ... just thought I'd think out loud by typing!